• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Seasonal allergies and allergies to anything going.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, exactly. The virus is in deer mice I think they are that live outside the city. In the city we have mice that do not carry the virus. I am downtown in a city of a little over a million peeps. The handyman said they roam the building in the walls. :facepalm: I thought I saw some blurs of motion at night as I was chatting at ASR and maybe that was a mouse investigating me.
Nothing like that bold mouse to appear in the corner of your eye or worse. When I first moved in my current house, there was an existing mouse problem I wasn't aware of until bedtime one night soon after moving in, reading something in bed and heard a scratching sound right behind my propped up pillow....it was a mouse sitting there on a shelf on my headboard calmly chewing on a stashed piece of kibble dog food (from the previous tenant), I didn't catch him but was able to follow him to the entry point into the house at least....the next day I found one of my slippers being used to apparently move the stash, with quite a bit of dog food in the slipper (had been empty the day before). Got me going on mouse eradication. It appears they come in the house thru the garage....still get one every other year or so now that wanders in and tips me off that it's time to put a trap out....

OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Nothing like that bold mouse to appear in the corner of your eye or worse. When I first moved in my current house, there was an existing mouse problem I wasn't aware of until bedtime one night soon after moving in, reading something in bed and heard a scratching sound right behind my propped up pillow....it was a mouse sitting there on a shelf on my headboard calmly chewing on a stashed piece of kibble dog food (from the previous tenant), I didn't catch him but was able to follow him to the entry point into the house at least....the next day I found one of my slippers being used to apparently move the stash, with quite a bit of dog food in the slipper (had been empty the day before). Got me going on mouse eradication. It appears they come in the house thru the garage....still get one every other year or so now that wanders in and tips me off that it's time to put a trap out....
LoL... I have 2 sticky traps and 4 spring traps with peanut butter put out in case a stray mouse finds it's way in.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
LoL... I have 2 sticky traps and 4 spring traps with peanut butter put out in case a stray mouse finds it's way in.
LOL the spring/peanut butter type is my go-to. I don't put them out until I find a tell-tale, a dropping or something in the pantry that gets gnawed on....

OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
LOL the spring/peanut butter type is my go-to. I don't put them out until I find a tell-tale, a dropping or something in the pantry that gets gnawed on....
I am amazed at the amount of bugs that are being caught in the sticky traps.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I am amazed at the amount of bugs that are being caught in the sticky traps.

Where I lived before we had a rat problem (really common in that forest), a sticky trap one day revealed one guy got caught and his buddies ate what wasn't stuck. Definitely a bit different than a mouse when it scurries around, a lot more noticeable!

Hope you are able to seal them out of the living area at least....even the rats can squeeze thru some incredibly small holes....

OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Where I lived before we had a rat problem (really common in that forest), a sticky trap one day revealed one guy got caught and his buddies ate what wasn't stuck. Definitely a bit different than a mouse when it scurries around, a lot more noticeable!

Hope you are able to seal them out of the living area at least....even the rats can squeeze thru some incredibly small holes....
I live in the middle of Alberta. We don't have rats where I live. I'm not sure why but they don't exist here.

OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I had a mouse problem in my apartment a couple of years ago, and the little !@!! left little "gifts" for me in the darndest of places. I ended up searching for all possible openings into the walls separating the individual units, and I found a bunch: Drain pipes, bathtub faucet, and the wiring to the baseboard heaters. Bought an aerosol can of expanding foam (varieties specifically designed to block rodents are available, which should tell you something) and I sealed every opening that I could find, including behind the dishwasher. Well! Not only did that stop all rodent visits, but also maybe 90% of spiders, silverfish and other tiny critters. And I no longer smell cooking from other units like I used to.

Suppose that had the mice had more time to establish themselves, I might have donned a pair or rubber gloves, wet down their mess with a general purpose cleaner like Simple Green, and wiped the slurry away while wet, so as not to create dust, and perhaps not vacuum it either, lest I create an aerosol.

Did your tile cleaner contain chlorine bleach? If so, I wonder if you were inadvertently mixing ammonia + sodium hypochlorite. If so, your reaction may not have been entirely due to an allergy.

Keith_W

Major Contributor
You need an air purifier. I have 3 in my house. I use them not because I care about clean air but because I hate dusting and vacuuming. One is placed near the kitchen and it's great for removing airborne oil fumes. Another is in the listening room and does a great job getting rid of surface dust that settles everywhere. The third is in my bedroom.

When buying an air purifier, these are the most important considerations:

- how much air exchange it will do per hour (Air Change per Hour - ACH). Calculate the volume of your room and the rated CFM (cubic ft/min) of your purifier. Then it's (CFM*60/room volume). You want a minimum of 4 changes per hour, or higher if you need clean air. In my kitchen I can do 8 changes per hour, I turn the air purifier to boost mode whenever I am cooking. I leave it on for a while, then turn it off.
- How much the filters cost, and the rated life of the filters. Also make sure you buy from a brand with good local support. Without filters, your air purifier is an expensive paperweight.
- noise and power consumption may be a consideration for you if you leave it on all the time, and it depends on your use case. Because I use mine to get rid of dust, I only turn it on whenever there is activity in that room, otherwise it goes into low power mode with few exchanges per hour. To get rid of allergens you might need to run it at a higher duty cycle.

I am far from an air filter expert, so please don't ask me which one to buy.

OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Did your tile cleaner contain chlorine bleach? If so, I wonder if you were inadvertently mixing ammonia + sodium hypochlorite. If so, your reaction may not have been entirely due to an allergy.
I looked it contains no bleach. It is 2.5% citric acid w/w.
6000196751138.jpg

Top Bottom