• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

No Computer section; no problemo...old news still new news...

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
http://www.howtogeek.com/225458/15-things-you-can-do-with-cortana-on-windows-10/

Our computers are the masters of our knowledge and our world of video and audio.
It's the window to the world. ...The entire world, including science and quantum physics.

This, very very important to me, because Windows 10 is knocking @ my door almost every single day now, to upgrade my surrounding world of knowledge about everything scientific Audio & Video.

I don't buy Audio & Video magazines anymore, I buy Internet speed and data.
I'm right here to learn, to perfect my knowledge and intellect. ...On all aspects; science, sociology, economy, arts...

Experts on computers are extremely important to me; they are the stargate to a wider world out there, ...in space, in time and in that extra scientific audio/video dimension.
Without a Computer section, life is incomplete in the year 2016 and beyond.

Now, my question: To Windows 10 or not?

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This area is good for computer discussions just the same.

Answering your question, I am still a NO on Windows 10. I gave a Windows 10 machine to my wife and she was literally in tears over it. She has about 300 gigabytes worth of data on the old computer. No problem. We copy the files to an external drive and copy them back. All of a sudden we get tons of error messages that her "One Drive" is full. One drive??? She has 512 gigabyte SSD. We are copying the files to My Documents which "should" be on the SSD like it has been for decades. How could that trigger this error?

Well, turns out by default My Documents is now in the cloud! And Microsoft gives you limited amount of space there. We filled that and errors piled on. Had to create another directory and put her files there.

Then it was a matter of photoshop. She has an older copy which has worked fine for her. She installs it on Windows 10 on this high-resolution display. I kid you not but she has to get a magnifying glass out to read the Menu bar in Photoshop! The font is like ants crawling. It is that small. So I say let's upgrade. No can do. Adobe no longer lets you buy copies of their software. It is all subscription and that is the only way you can get the software. For her, it would cost $50/month! So she is still using the reading glass....

Mind you, I have Windows 10 on my new music server and it works fine. But migrating from old systems to new can be problematic.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

TBone

Major Contributor
a little story about W10 ...

early adopter ... did the free upgrade on a hp notebook which came with 7. This is my media notebook, used primarily to share video on monitors, streaming and/or hdmi. W7 worked flawlessly on every monitor hooked. Anyway, after the upgrade, past the instant sluggish performance and harder/hotter working processors issues (another learning curve), the machine functioned just fine in my system for months. Then, I went to host a presentation, using hdmi to monitor. Only audio! No problem, i'd been through this scenario before, generally an easy fix. But not this time. Embarrassingly, I tried everything at my disposal, nothing worked, and the presentation was cancelled.

Once home, I researched and found within a computer user group others with the exact same issue. They had tried near everything between 'em, but after weeks of inconsistency, they all reverted back to 7. I ended up finding some generic driver (somewhere?), and bingo, everything has worked perfectly and consistently since.

So, depending on the age of your computer ...

OP
NorthSky

NorthSky

Major Contributor
This area is good for computer discussions just the same.

Answering your question, I am still a NO on Windows 10. I gave a Windows 10 machine to my wife and she was literally in tears over it. She has about 300 gigabytes worth of data on the old computer. No problem. We copy the files to an external drive and copy them back. All of a sudden we get tons of error messages that her "One Drive" is full. One drive??? She has 512 gigabyte SSD. We are copying the files to My Documents which "should" be on the SSD like it has been for decades. How could that trigger this error?

Well, turns out by default My Documents is now in the cloud! And Microsoft gives you limited amount of space there. We filled that and errors piled on. Had to create another directory and put her files there.

Then it was a matter of photoshop. She has an older copy which has worked fine for her. She installs it on Windows 10 on this high-resolution display. I kid you not but she has to get a magnifying glass out to read the Menu bar in Photoshop! The font is like ants crawling. It is that small. So I say let's upgrade. No can do. Adobe no longer lets you buy copies of their software. It is all subscription and that is the only way you can get the software. For her, it would cost $50/month! So she is still using the reading glass....

Mind you, I have Windows 10 on my new music server and it works fine. But migrating from old systems to new can be problematic.

1. I new that the knews section was as good as anything else; the why I posted the news link above.
2. I think I'll simply buy a new laptop with Windows 10, and leave the one I got alone till it dies (8.1).
3. I didn't know about that new Adobe strategy/

Conclusion: Would it be fair to say, from your post above, that Windows 10 is the stargate to Microsoft's replenishment of its financial vaults (in association with other companies)? ...The door to our government's (police patrols, CIA, FBI, CSIS, front of liberation of Quebec group, ...) accentuated knowledge about us more than what we thought already we knew about who we were and why we exist on this planet? ...It's like you're walking peacefully in the forest looking @ the birds, but the robots people (computer addicts), think you are a hardcore criminal with intention to kill the birds species, and cut all the trees in the forest!

Is Windows 10 the beginning of AI (Artificial Intelligence) access that we give to our main controllers, and groups of associations corrupted with the financial markets of the capitalist system? Is it a global world crisis that is imposed on us? ...We'll soon find out in the next 5-10 years or so.

Amir, after reading your post just above, one has to wonder why the pain and suffering to your lovely wife.
Just because of that I won't be upgrading, no way. Take that Microsoft, and beat it!

Sure, google chrome is a mess, but @ least I can talk to them with voice activated too, like cortina land.
And Skype, who's always trying to infiltrate it? Young punks asking money to put in their empty fridges.

OP
NorthSky

NorthSky

Major Contributor
a little story about W10 ...

early adopter ... did the free upgrade on a hp notebook which came with 7. This is my media notebook, used primarily to share video on monitors, streaming and/or hdmi. W7 worked flawlessly on every monitor hooked. Anyway, after the upgrade, past the instant sluggish performance and harder/hotter working processors issues (another learning curve), the machine functioned just fine in my system for months. Then, I went to host a presentation, using hdmi to monitor. Only audio! No problem, i'd been through this scenario before, generally an easy fix. But not this time. Embarrassingly, I tried everything at my disposal, nothing worked, and the presentation was cancelled.

Once home, I researched and found within a computer user group others with the exact same issue. They had tried near everything between 'em, but after weeks of inconsistency, they all reverted back to 7. I ended up finding some generic driver (somewhere?), and bingo, everything has worked perfectly and consistently since.

So, depending on the age of your computer ...

Yeah, I've read stories of that sort, like losing the video 3D ability.
I think you need to be prepared, and knowledgeable on all things; audio settings, video cards, fotobucket, fubar, rhubarb, backing all your files on a different external drive, remembering all your 349 passwords, ...etc. Some people have no issues @ all upgrading to Windows 10; I've read on how easy it was for them computer experts. And the people who had issues (regular people like me, the best representation of a normal average bright individual living in North America with bills to pay, taxes, a mortgage, a family, etc.) are the ones who aren't experts in computers and all that jazz.

Of course I just exaggerated a little, to keep in good form with the forum's main philosophy; good fun humor @ the service of happiness.
Because if we don't we just know what's going to happen. :)

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Amir, after reading your post just above, one has to wonder why the pain and suffering to your lovely wife.
I was without an option. Was buying that for one of her Christmas present this last year and went to Bestbuy. All of their computers come with Windows 10 pre-installed. There just was, is not an option to get a new computer with Windows 7.

And yes, getting a new computer with it is the right path. That way you have the option of using the old one if you have to.

OP
NorthSky

NorthSky

Major Contributor
I was without an option. Was buying that for one of her Christmas present this last year and went to Bestbuy. All of their computers come with Windows 10 pre-installed. There just was, is not an option to get a new computer with Windows 7.

And yes, getting a new computer with it is the right path. That way you have the option of using the old one if you have to.

No, I didn't mean you, I meant Microsoft. ...Their handshaking issues between various versions.
What I'm learning from this is to keep your several laptops or PCs separated from each other.

* My personal computer issues:
- Cloud: what a mess!
- Sync: be careful!
- Google chrome: not efficient!
- Viruses: I can't believe where they hide and what they do! ...Chritsmas cards?!!
- Etc.

The joy of the modern world is there, the pain too.

Top Bottom