• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New USB Audio Player PRO Version with wider UPnP cast support including Wiim streamers

Michou

Latest Android app, USB Audio Player Pro (UAPP) has now UPnP cast support, including Wiim streamers in bit-perfect mode and MQA. This is a paying feature.

popej

Looks like the price for this feature is comparable to AirMusic. If you have admin rights to your phone, then AirMusic solution could be more interesting. Or if you don't care about MQA, then Bubble UPNP is even cheaper.

Keith_W

Major Contributor
Thanks for posting this thread. I had a look on the Google Play store, but it seems as if only the paid version is available. I want to use it on my Android tablet to stream Tidal to JRiver installed on my PC, as well as play locally stored files on my PC. Do you know if this app can do that and do it well? I read the features list and it seems as if it can do what I want it to do, I just don't know if it does it well.

I currently have BubbleUPNP which works, but it is let down by an ugly interface and horrible latency.

OP
M

Michou

Thanks for posting this thread. I had a look on the Google Play store, but it seems as if only the paid version is available. I want to use it on my Android tablet to stream Tidal to JRiver installed on my PC, as well as play locally stored files on my PC. Do you know if this app can do that and do it well? I read the features list and it seems as if it can do what I want it to do, I just don't know if it does it well.

I currently have BubbleUPNP which works, but it is let down by an ugly interface and horrible latency.
The app is very versatile but mostly designed to be used for bit-perfect streaming in conjunction with an external DAC or UPnP or Chromecast renderer. The interface is just OK and the app is sometimes inconstant and buffering a lot between tracks. I enjoy it but that's just me and the hardware/software I use, I also recommend you have a look at mconnect HD for Android (the landscape-made-for-tablets) paid app, plain and effective.

Last edited:

Keith_W

Major Contributor
Thanks, I bought it.

I have a license for mConnect but I don't use it because I am not a fan of its interface. I think BubbleUPNP actually looks nicer!

Ibanez

What latency do you mean?
Is it when you stream videos?

I have no latency when only playing music with Bubbleupnp, it changes track immediately when pressing next track, or choosing next track manually.
I stream to Jriver.

Keith_W

Major Contributor
What latency do you mean?
Is it when you stream videos?

I have no latency when only playing music with Bubbleupnp, it changes track immediately when pressing next track, or choosing next track manually.
I stream to Jriver.

By latency, I mean track changes are slow, volume changes are laggy, and album changes are slow. I am also using BubbleUPNP to JRiver, I wonder if my JRiver settings are causing the increased latency. I'll pop over to JRiver's forums and ask them.

Bernard23

Addicted to Fun and Learning
How does it work with the Wiim streamer? I assumed that UAPP is an end point media player

Chazz6

By latency, I mean track changes are slow,...
When I change a track in BubbleUPnP, the current track stops almost immediately. The lag is starting the next track. How would we find out how much of the lag time is the server fetching and preparing to serve and how much of the lag time is BubbleUPnP preparing to play?

Keith_W

Major Contributor
When I change a track in BubbleUPnP, the current track stops almost immediately. The lag is starting the next track. How would we find out how much of the lag time is the server fetching and preparing to serve and how much of the lag time is BubbleUPnP preparing to play?

So it happens to you, too. Try this experiment:

- store some music files on the same HDD as JRiver
- download JRemote2 trial (this is the remote control app for JRiver, made by JRiver themselves)
- compare the lag in track change with JRemote2 vs. BubbleUPNP. In my system, the lag is substantially less and JRemote2 is almost immediate.

JRemote2 communicates with JRiver by sending it commands through the LAN. BubbleUPNP works by sending it commands through DLNA. So for me it was clear that it was either JRiver's implementation of DLNA, or BubbleUPNP.

So I downloaded mConnect, which is another app that talks to JRiver via DLNA. I get the same lag as BubbleUPNP.

Conclusion: the culprit is JRiver's implementation of DLNA, or maybe DLNA itself.

Top Bottom