• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Sennheiser HD 620S

bodhi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
More than mildly interested. Don't know about that bump in the mids though. It must be there for some very specific reason, as without it the FR would look quite a bit more nice.

ironwolf60

this is too expensive for a closed back, when i could buy a hyperx cloud alpha for 49 bucks and get ~80% of the sound quality.
$350 for something that has the same build quality of a 560s, its insane.

markanini

Major Contributor
this is too expensive for a closed back, when i could buy a hyperx cloud alpha for 49 bucks and get ~80% of the sound quality.
IMO Hypercloud X is a very colored set, it's worth paying a little extra for AKG K371 och an Shure SRH440 non-A.

paudio

I thought it was improved even though it looks like the 5 series.

Looks like it has too much clamp for me.

PBSequence

The build quality is significantly better (metal headband, for example).

Also, the cost aspect is going to be true for all headphones. 80% of the sound quality isn’t even much, you might as well buy the KSC 75 which does probably 80% of even high end headphones and costs about 30 bucks. People buy expensive headphones because they chase those last few percent (or even permille), and that doesn’t automatically make them a bad deal.

heraldo_jones

I probably haven't heard such a stupid statement in my life. Clear you have little to non experience with high quality headphones, in special with closed headphones.

paudio

I probably haven't heard such a stupid statement in my life. Clear you have little to non experience with high quality headphones, in special with closed headphones.
Mind you these are indeed arguably not good value for the money compared to other headphones. Though I probably wouldn't pick hyperx cloud alpha as an example. HD620s are mass produced by a large company. I bought a set of Austrian Audio cans for a good amount but still less than these I think. Though I think the Austrian Audio cans likely have better materials and quality. Personally I would like to support smaller companies if possible. At the same time KPH40 is my most used headphone by far.

Misguided

Bear in mind that Sennheiser Headphones are often sold well below the RRP it may be that once a few months have passed they will be a considered better value for money. I think if the price drops to somewhere in the £200 - £250 bracket they will be worth getting.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I thought it was improved even though it looks like the 5 series.

Looks like it has too much clamp for me.
I lowered the clamping force to more pleasant values (3N).

extended the sliders, but it on a stack of books that stretches the headband (no pads), don't over-stretch too much.
Then, using a hair dryer slowly warmed up the middle part of the headband (not too hot, you don't want to melt the plastic) for 5 mins or so.
Then let it cool off for 10 mins before taking the headphones off. Put the pads back on and check the clamping force again.
Better to repeat the procedure with a bit more stretching than to ruin the headband.

As seal is paramount on this headphone don't make the clamping force too low otherwise seal will become an issue.

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
IMG_1912.jpeg

So what does the HD600’s measurements look like?

A reminder.

IMG_1913.png

So that’s excellent, except it’s around 10db down at 20hz, and there’s a small hump of around 2.5dB at 200hz.

And the graph comparing that to this new model…

Last edited:

paudio

I lowered the clamping force to more pleasant values (3N).

extended the sliders, but it on a stack of books that stretches the headband (no pads), don't over-stretch too much.
Then, using a hair dryer slowly warmed up the middle part of the headband (not too hot, you don't want to melt the plastic) for 5 mins or so.
Then let it cool off for 10 mins before taking the headphones off. Put the pads back on and check the clamping force again.
Better to repeat the procedure with a bit more stretching than to ruin the headband.

As seal is paramount on this headphone don't make the clamping force too low otherwise seal will become an issue.

What do you think the clamp of a K371 would be in comparison? Maybe I'll get to demo these at some point as the tuning looks like it might be something I am interested in.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
K371 clamp is a little lower.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
stock

Top Bottom