• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Neural Headphones are Big at CES 2024

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Naqi Neural Earbuds
"We build the only neural earbuds on planet Earth that can serve as a safe, non-invasive alternative to brain implants. [They offer] the ability to have a full command of control over Windows and Mac computers, including typing, browsing, shopping and playing contemporary video games," Segal explains.

If that was true, we would not be reading that on TechRadar I believe :)

NeurGear ZenBud
Instead of sensing nerves and translating those signals to control a device like the Neural Earbuds above, NeurGear's ZenBud headset uses ultrasonic sound waves to relax you. The tech works by stimulating what's called the Vagus nerve, which is responsible for various bodily functions such as digestion, heart rate and breathing.

Yeah, this is more sensible, more like the usual BS we are used to in audio world.

MyWaves Technologies Pebble and Earable Neuroscience Frenz Brainband seems to be monitoring brain activity by measuring electromagnetic waves emitted by the brain, and curating music to suit that, which sounds more plausible than the other two I think.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Naqi earbuds look ugly enough to be legit IMO. ;)

I've been told it's possible to pick up brainwaves or at least subvocalizations to an extent at the ear. If you can process those signals well then you could get useful control out of them... maybe.

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Naqi earbuds look ugly enough to be legit IMO. ;)

I've been told it's possible to pick up brainwaves or at least subvocalizations to an extent at the ear. If you can process those signals well then you could get useful control out of them... maybe.
There is a video on YT of a speech the Founder made in a TEDx event, in which he not only outlines a heartwarming origin story but also makes references to Sumerians as inspiration in case you were not convinced he was legit.

There is also a short section in the video of a guy controlling a wheelchair using Naqi earbuds. It looks like it is driven by accelerometers that respond to head movements and has nothing to do with "thought" control.

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
A branch of the vagus nerve runs close to the ear, so stimulation may be feasible. There is genuine research into vagus nerve stimulation aimed at pain or depression mitigation.

Top Bottom