• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Multifunctional DAC

yulun

Everyone, I made a DAC based on my friend's request. The hardware structure is:
-Has two AES/EBU inputs, two AES/EBU outputs and a pair of balanced analog stereo outputs.
-One way BNC interface WORD COLCK input
-An encoder for adjusting parameters
-One button for silent mode setting
-One retractable button for selecting clock source

The same hardware can be used in boxes with different functions by configuring the firmware:
1. Switcher with gain adjustment
2. DAC with mixing function

f48ae36f561d8cd903b5c42a9ed53c3.jpg
849882cf2070ac860614999ea213a0b.jpg

f11b10336fd50a5fff0f6a60b273aa2.jpg
08816a9305cbbd6b107012c94cf3191.jpg

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
i thought this was the new RME!

that front plate color is nice

reminds me of this:

also i would imagine working firmware isnt that easy

really amazing work

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This is DIY? Wow, great job!

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Nice work. Have you designed the internal electronic PCBs yourself, or is it an off the shelf component? (or components)

MCH

Major Contributor
Very nice @yulun
What do you mean with "DAC with mixing function"?

MCH

Major Contributor
Hello, @MCH
the mixing function is roughly as follows:

Two sets of AES/EBU inputs can form new left and right channels through left channel + left channel, right channel + right channel.
And the gain of each AES/EBU input can be adjusted, and the gain of the newly formed left and right channels can also be adjusted.
Very very cool functionality. Was thinking on something like this for my kid (games+music). But he doesn't have two AES/EBU sources :D
Are you selling this one as well? (I insist you should send some of your stuff to amir to measure. Are you familiar how asr works?)

unpluggged

unpluggged

Mainly for clock synchronization between multiple devices
Which multiple devices? You have only AES digital inputs that carry embedded clock, no analog inputs, no other exotic inputs that might require external clocking. There is no need for an external clocking input. So it looks like the word clock input is there just for the sake of making an impression of a high-end device.

unpluggged

As for the external word clock, it is sufficient for individuals to simply use it as a DAC.
If you use AES input with a different clock source, your DAC will be out of sync with the data that comes over AES input and will get artifacts (ranging from random clicks to no output at all). You can try it yourself to see what I am talking about. Or does your device have an SRC of some kind that would allow it to receive an AES stream on the input and then output it resampled and resynched to the incoming word clock signal at its AES output? This is the only case I could imagine that would make use of an external clock, but this is not something that would apply to the quoted example.

Top Bottom