• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Money vs Mind

Mind or Money: which playback philosophy is better?

• Mind

Votes: 10 76.9%
  • Money

Votes: 3 23.1%

• Total voters

dallasjustice

Major Contributor
This is a little provocative. But let's have some fun! It seems to me that there are two extreme approaches one frequently can observe among audiophiles. There's the well financed audiophile who buys the most expensive everything all at their dealer's gracious and apparently knowing recommendation. And then there's the DIYer/engineer/tinkershop type audiophile who believes their system is the best because they can design a better loudspeaker, crossover, amp and room. Which extreme approach is better?

You can experience these contrasting approaches to some degree at an audio show. For example, I've heard some really good sounding mega bucks systems there and I've heard equally jaw-dropping music coming from DIY systems by Herr Linkwitz.

So which approach is best? Remember, there's no middle ground available in this poll; I don't like boring polls.

Michael.

iridium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
This is a little provocative. But let's have some fun! It seems to me that there are two extreme approaches one frequently can observe among audiophiles. There's the well financed audiophile who buys the most expensive everything all at their dealer's gracious and apparently knowing recommendation. And then there's the DIYer/engineer/tinkershop type audiophile who believes their system is the best because they can design a better loudspeaker, crossover, amp and room. Which extreme approach is better?

You can experience these contrasting approaches to some degree at an audio show. For example, I've heard some really good sounding mega bucks systems there and I've heard equally jaw-dropping music coming from DIY systems by Herr Linkwitz.

So which approach is best? Remember, there's no middle ground available in this poll; I don't like boring polls.

Michael.

I like the "Mind" , and I will vote that.

BUT, for the "Mind" to have that great system, it must be the correct "Mind". The "Mind" must have the ability and be willing to apply that ability.

By the way, I have left $$$$$$$$$$$$$ auditions, showings, etc., and then once I was not visible I would shake my head sideways as I wondered if the person was ............ [read between the dots].

iridium.

OP
dallasjustice

dallasjustice

Major Contributor
I know what you mean. It's funny to go into a hotel room with Amir. He leaves no doubt how he feels about the playback while he's listening in the room, whether it's positive or negative. It's hilarious!

I like the "Mind" , and I will vote that.

BUT, for the "Mind" to have that great system, it must be the correct "Mind". The "Mind" must have the ability and be willing to apply that ability.

By the way, I have left $$$$$$$$$$$$$ auditions, showings, etc., and then once I was not visible I would shake my head sideways as I wondered if the person was ............ [read between the dots].

iridium.

TBone

Major Contributor
Remember, there's no middle ground available in this poll; I don't like boring polls.

balancing is fun ...
calvin-hobbes-calvin-26-hobbes-254155_1024_768.jpg

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Mind systems are usually more interesting. Though sometimes you have trouble deciding if the mind behind it is insane or insightful.

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
Michael, I'm not voting in your poll because it is incomplete. I would vote for "Reason", a good head above the shoulders.
...A quality music recording first, and a simple and reasonable music reproduction system...solid design with the latest and newly improved technology; jitter free and well implemented quality DACs or/and tonearm & cart. ...For both analog and digital music lovers.

It takes both of them; some ingenious design (smart mind), and of course a little of money for quality control and to purchase. ...But nothing extravagant/out-of-this world supra expensive.
...Say nothing more than $one million, and probably less.

So, unless you add "Reason" or "Smart" or "Fun" or ... as a third option I am not voting. The best minds were poor and the designs never produced because of lack of financial funds. And money alone doesn't expand the mind, it doesn't; money corrupt the mind.

So, a simple mind with a good reason and small amount of money (twenty bucks, or a little more), will be able to play the latest and greatest quality music recording on a turntable or CD player or music server...from a quality music studio record label with quality minded musicians and singers. This is where the essence, the soul of the music is; in the quality artist musicians and singers firsts and in how well they are recorded by the music recording engineers and the magic of their trade all working together...the skills of the master musicians (emotions), and the skills of the recordists (technics).

I vote for soul (reason) of the music recording first. The rest don't need to have great amount of money, and just solid and simple mind...jitter and distortion free from the electronics...ingenuity, intelligent, solid audio engineering, and cost efficient. ...Like I said; nothing more than say $1 million dollars (US American dollars), and most likely less...like $one thousand dollars ($1,000), three zeros @ the very maximum, and 99% of that performance would be accessible with only two zeros (like $900, or $100).

Mathematics and geometry are good ingredients to design solid scientific audio component designs. Keep it simple, with the shortest audio signal path, and make it accessible to all the beautiful kids of our planet...for the love of the music, for peace.

And the ultra hi-end clientele (Dubai), they can spend all the money they want and hire others to spend it for them.
But nothing is going to change the fact that without the quality music recordings that touch the soul of a man and of a woman, the main essence cannot reach its apotheosis.

Your poll is more funny than serious, and it's incomplete. :)

Last edited:

JoeWhip

I had to pick mind out of the two. I have heard too many systems in showrooms, hotel rooms and homes where the systems were put together on the basis that they were the most expensive components or the latest fad pieces. The problem with this approach is that the systems sound, shall we say, less than optimal. Another issue is that when you buy like that, you are always swapping out equipment. You know there is something wrong with the sound and you think that throwing more money at it or the newest thing will fix it, rather than rethinking your whole approach or even better, thinking more about the room vs. the equipment. On the other hand, DIYers can be non stop tinker men too. They just don't blow through as much cash when they do.

Last edited:

fas42

Major Contributor
Mind, of course ... money can be a smart starting point, but then mind has to kick in and sort out the inevitable problems. Ridiculously low priced gear, well sorted, can produce immensely satisfying sound - by contrast, expensive combos are a 100% lottery ...

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Voted Mind, since for me it's mind over money. The only real influence money brings to bear is that I don't have much. But I'm enjoying bringing my 50 years experience in audio to collect some new and used components that will create a system that will please me. A mixture of my preferences and prejudices in gear design all guided by good dollar value.
What a mess I'm making of things. LOL

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Can we add a 'well designed doesn't need to be hugely expensive' category , that would get my vote.
Keith.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Can we add a 'well designed doesn't need to be hugely expensive' category , that would get my vote.
Keith.
In your case Keith that should read 'well designed doesn't need to be hugely expensive as long as it maintains high profit margins for me' category:D

nothing wrong with spending money on someone else's ' mind' .

I spent my money on Dave Belles's mind and Laurence Dickie's mind as well as the engineers at TAD... Though some other parts of my spend may well be more dubious in merits.

Had I come to a place like this before I started my serious spending I would have a better system and for less or at least a more effective spend.

OP
dallasjustice

dallasjustice

Major Contributor
Can money buy the "mind?" I know I've heard very expensive systems sound awful because they weren't optimally designed. But can't the opposite be true as well? Aren't there dealers/system designers who take their client's "dumb money" and build state of the art playback systems without any feedback from the customer?

Last edited:

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I voted money to a) be a pain :) and b) because material cost is an enemy of good engineering a lot of times. Having that relaxed means a lot in terms of what can be achieved. I also see a lot of sins in DIY world where people who have no business being in this business, get into this business. :D

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I vote money money money... Spend it ALL and revel in the delight and wilful abandon of being bat shit crazy:D
Hey Thomas, before you spend it all would you consider a bit of audiophile charity and send me a sack or two.
If'in I had your money I'd burn mine. :p

iridium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I vote money money money... Spend it ALL and revel in the delight and wilful abandon of being bat shit crazy:D

You are totally correct.
The Power People of the World [the 100-200 people that truly rule the world] are making the common person's money worthless anyway.
Spend the $$$.

I needed to pick-up one item at a large grocery store about 7 AM. The woman in front of me had a lot of wear on her. She was buying a very large bottle of Hard Liquor.
My thoughts at that moment: Good for you / you might as well / the world is going down the tubes anyway.

iridium.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Hey Thomas, before you spend it all would you consider a bit of audiophile charity and send me a sack or two.
If'in I had your money I'd burn mine. :p
I am poor now, making my living as a comedian is not going as well as I hoped.

Top Bottom