• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Mixing different subwoofers

CCCC

Hi all,

I am replacing my Marantz 7013 by a Cinema 30. I have 3 subwoofers. Two are small (10”) and one is a bit bigger and more powerful (12”)

Currently I use a Y cable to join the 2 small subs, for two reasons: 1) the 7013 has only 2 sub outputs and 2) I was told that the smaller sub caps the total LFE response, so combining the 2 small ones into one, makes the receiver to “see” them as a big single sub

With the new Cinema 30 I will have 4 sub outputs. Will still make sense to join the 2 small subs using the Y cable to make them appear as a single big sub? Or is it better to connect the 3 independently and let Audyssey compensate the difference in size/power (if it is capable of doing this)?

I know Dirac BC would solve this, but I am not planning to upgrade to Dirac yet

Many thanks

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't think there is any reason to join the two small ones together if you have outputs for each of your three subs.

OP
C

CCCC

I don't think there is any reason to join the two small ones together if you have outputs for each of your three subs.

Yes that’s the first thing I thought but few years ago I read that the smaller sub would limit the total sub response

Top Bottom