• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Making my system family friendly

JohnnyAudio

No, the camp as we call it here.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My family said my music sucks so I moved to the other house.
I had just three red-lines before even co-habitating, decades ago:
#1 >> My music stays on day and night
#2 >> I don't do commercials
#3 >> I will not do 'software' but you will not do 'hardware'

So far, I haven't even spent a single night in the dog house!:)

Anton D

Addicted to Fun and Learning
My 93 year old mother in law lives with us, she has age related cognitive decline.

She has her "shows," and I am not a TV guy, so we handed her the remote and she became a pro. With proper motivation, other than making sure they don't set the volume knob to "11," let them work it out.

That's sounds unkind, not meant like that.

Mikig

I gave up.
Only TV, not even decoder, because the 2 remote controls were too difficult.
I had a nice home theater system set up, but I couldn't get it to be used.
Furthermore, every day the usual questions began: what about all those wires? but do we have to have all those speakers around the room? but how is it used? but it's difficult!!!…….
At a certain point I dismantled everything. Now I have two active Meridian speakers connected to the TV, but I only use them when I'm at home.
I moved to the cellar where I only listen to music... although a plan to redo my Home Theater crosses my mind...

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If people can learn to semi master their smartphone apps and do basic things on their computers, then complaining about managing audiovisual is silly.

My ex-GF always complained about the system, yet she was smart enough to keep concealed communication channels alive to cheat on me. So... BS. It's very straightforward.

I do have a universal remote, yet no one likes to use it (even myself), it's weird.

A judicious amount of remotes ultimate seems the most straightforward way... I have two,,, one for the amp, one for the Roku (TV). Both are simple. Way more so than smartphone apps (I tried, abandoned) or universal remotes (you have to remember the workflow, and know how to get them out of the last device they were controlling).

jjaskuna

Forum Donor
The trick I hear is not changing the system, but training the user from a young age;) That's my ongoing attempt with my son.
Working on gain staging between components now.
I'll let you know if the lessons stick in a decade.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If your TV has an optical out, put it into the DAC and that's that. That's how I had my old TV setup.

Top Bottom