• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Lost ch7-ch8 on Pyle PT8000CH

GaryRamu

Lost ch7-ch8 on this less than 2 year old Pyle PT8000CH amp---from reading thread https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-multichannel-amplifier-teardown.43333/page-4, suspect bad power transistor. Not sure what caused failure. One day good, next day bad.

Any ideas on best how to confirm before I get started down wrong path?

Am new to this forum and newly started audio amp repair as hobby and have a 50 year old amp out of old juke box am working on also, entirely different beast. Have oscilloscope and plenty of tools.

My amp is slightly different than the one discussed in other thread having tear down, reported as same model.

The heat sink on mine has what looks like 4 round power transistors, 2 on each sink. The same reported model in tear down post does not have these.

Advice greatly appreciated.

Ch7-Ch8_bad_PT8000CH.jpg

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
I think I see what looks like 8 power transistors at the base of the heatsink

OP
G

GaryRamu

Yes, see those also—-but what are those round ones for? Is a significant version change to same model have seen posted not having these.

Am about to begin tracing failure, working to receive as much feedback before doing so as am no expert at this yet.

OP
G

GaryRamu

Waited for a response on advice from this group to help fix this amp. Received near nothing since posting last December 11, 2023. Embarked on my first dive into fixing this interesting powerful amplifier.

Began with visual inspection which I can say was lacking as did not spot this blown cap supporting input on ch7 until several days later while re-acquainting self with new scope have not touched in months.

Both ch7 and ch8 are dead at output, but, ch8 is alive and well all the way to an 8 pin relay at output which apparently---simultaneously switches both ch7 and ch8 if logical conditions following voltages I can imagine are not met per circuit immediately adjacent to this relay.

If correct logic is met, audio output is switched on for both ch7 and ch8. Understandably, is switched off if not as can result in damaged speakers and other potential roasting while loaded.

Confirmed ch7 is toast so no matter what with ch8, it is also down as logic addresses either channel and switches both off at relay if one is not in specification.

The metal case on capacitor had nearly popped completing off for ch7, can't be helping leaving it that way....see if you can spot the blown capacitor at input for ch7, stands taller, since is popped, than all others which are level with each other. Can't believe I did not see this right away.
BadCap47uF.jpg
A few notes:

1.) As noted not the case by author in related post stating transistors are unmarked, I found transistors are indeed marked where each channel has a PNP/NPN pair per channel with a pre-amp pair and power amp pair at big heat sink.

The voltages at the pre-amp for ch7 are 6 and 14 volts (collector, emitter) and near 53 volts at base. The collector and emitter voltages are way out of range compared to that of all other functioning channels.

2.) All onboard input connectors for each channel appear to be glued into place! Attempted to disconnect, did not wish to force, leaving connected for now.

Ordering a replacement capacitor tonight, any advice on troubleshooting appreciated.

Last edited:
Top Bottom