• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KZ Castor Harman Target IEM Review

Rate this IEM:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 15 9.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 41 27.2%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 68 45.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 27 17.9%

• Total voters

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
will the android app poweramp let me eq my headphones the same as you?
You could try Neutron Player instead - that one is fully compatible with parametric EQ and does a bunch of other stuff besides.

muza_1

Poweramp EQ have a Parametric EQ you just have to select it in the settings, what is more of a problem is for the software to recognize all of your audio apps but it can be done via chrome browser and adicional permissions.

DrZingo

It's funny, the tweet is from 6 months ago, but time in the IEM market goes so fast, I already consider them not competetive. It looks like "muddy" upper bass / lower midrange and bit spiky treble.
Yes. I can personally live without the accented hump in the low bass in the Harman target curve. The most important feature of the curve in my view is its gentle rise all through the middle, from 300 Hz upwards.

DanTheMan

Yes. I can personally live without the accented hump in the low bass in the Harman target curve. The most important feature of the curve in my view is its gentle rise all through the middle, from 300 Hz upwards.
And I think that's the worst part LOL, but I too could live without the deep bass bump if there wasn't the the gentle rise from 300Hz up. That gentle rise makes the deep bass bump necessary to my ear. Otherwise it's just too thin and bright. It seems everyone has their own take on it. Something more like the USound, HEAD Acoustics, or Sony curve sounds more balanced to my ear.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
And I think that's the worst part LOL, but I too could live without the deep bass bump if there wasn't the the gentle rise from 300Hz up. That gentle rise makes the deep bass bump necessary to my ear. Otherwise it's just too thin and bright. It seems everyone has their own take on it. Something more like the USound, HEAD Acoustics, or Sony curve sounds more balanced to my ear.
Neither there is a "target" or that is the curve. It's a try to represent natural response of speakers in room on to earphones/headphones. It's preference picked up on mid 70's SPL listening from listeners based on let's call them like traditional tone controls (not great methodology, sim and bias). However they ware not very good or to the equal loudness contours (ISO 226 2003 or later) of the time. Transistant frequency whose a miss and low pass filter at 100 Hz Q 0.71 (Butterwort) doese a better job regarding bass adoption. The highs are still undisclosed based on progress of mics, materials used for, shape and depth of ears and ear chenel, HATS aren't there yet but lots of the progress on the way.

DrZingo

I actually agree with you - there is less need for a rise if you don't have that bass hump. If you don't, flat is OK too in that region to my ears. The problem is that so many headphones actually go down all through the midrange - that JBL in-ear goes downwards all the way to 800 Hz which usually results in an unnaturally "thick" sound. Many continue even further.

Last edited: