• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Kef LS60 and Room correction?

Should KEF include room correction or PEQ in the software?

• Total voters

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I have implemented room correction with my LS60s using two different methods. In both methods I measured my speakers using REW and generated a .wav convolution file following this tutorial:

1. For the first method I generated a .wav convolution file that includes both Left and Right channels, and uploaded that to SqueezeDSP, which is a plugin for Logitech Media Server (LMS). I then used LMS to stream music to my LS60s. LMS and SqueezeDSP are free and open source projects, so there is no cost other than the hardware you use to host LMS. I use my NAS, which I already had. Unfortunately, the Tidal plugin for LMS no longer is supported (it was a little clunky anyway), which led me to method 2.

2. The second method uses separate convolution files for the left and right channels, and requires additional hardware. Here is a very thorough tutorial provided by mdsimon2: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/rpi4-camilladsp-tutorial.29656/.

I purchased a WiiM streamer, a Raspberry Pi and a miniDSP MCHStreamer kit. The MCHStreamer connects to the Raspberry Pi via USB, and handles digital input and output for the Raspberry Pi via TosLink or coaxial SPDIF.

I installed Ubuntu Server and Camilla DSP (both free and open source) on the Raspberry Pi, and uploaded the left and right channel convolution files to Camilla DSP. The WiiM feeds the Raspberry Pi via the MCHStreamer input, where Camilla DSP applies the convolution files. Chamilla DSP uses the MCHStreamer output to feed a digital input on the primary LS60.

The MCHStreamer kit includes TosLink input and output jacks, but not RCA jacks for the coaxial SPDIF. Instead, the board has two connectors where the RCA jacks are to be connected. I will add the RCA jacks after I 3D print a case for the MCHStreamer. Until then I am using TosLink, and it sounds fantastic. My LS60s definitely benefit from room correction.
I note that you say that you "have implemented room correction with my LS60s" and that's so. However, many using a digital connection to the LS60 can do similar in their systems with many different bits of software. The real trick would be for the implementation of room correction in the LS60s.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I note that you say that you "have implemented room correction with my LS60s" and that's so. However, many using a digital connection to the LS60 can do similar in their systems with many different bits of software. The real trick would be for the implementation of room correction in the LS60s.
That’s just not in the feature set of the KEF active product line though.

terryforsythe

Forum Donor
Well, if we had that, there would be no need for the other solutions. I posted the methods for anyone looking for a solution until KEF makes room correction available for the LS60s, if ever.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Looking at the firmware release notes for the LS60's makes me not holding my breath for changes of this magnitude... Although it would be most welcome.
The best assumption to make is that the hardware just isn’t ready for it.

Even if they offered a sub delay or a few pew bands then the issue will arise about how many pEq bands they offer.

Probably better just to use whichever room correction system of your choice.

Also probably better to bypass the sub output built in and use a 4 channel room correction and implement the sub(s) within that system.

sweetmusic

The Dynaudio Focus series has the feature set the OP wants. Have you listened?

I have to say, I like the Dynaudio sound too. This site makes me wish for Revel and Focal to join the active speaker market too. Offer Dirac with all of them and we would be so spoiled for choices.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes let’s hope the active speaker market grows that said I bought the LS60 anyway and plan to use external solutions. Because the speaker are very good they sound excellent as is before I fumbled with EQ and subs . So you start from a good place .

More competition is good .

Re making the user experience simple. Sub manufacturers have no problems adding like seven PEQ in thier products. But kef think they need to dumb down the product? I don’t think this argument holds up .

Top Bottom