• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Keeping track of stylus usage (and a bit more)

dceriman

Hi all,
I built ESP8266 based device to use on my REGA RP3.
Essentially, it has 2 sensors, IR and ToF, to detect spinning and tonearm position (at the moment only if raised or not).
Every time platter spins in correct speed +/- 2% and tonearm is raised it creates session. Once tonearm is off the record or platter stops spinning, data is saved on AWS backend and can be use for different analysis including basic idea of tracking stylus usage and speed variations, but also listening habits, how often you forget your to raise tonearm at the end of record side etc.
I wonder if someone is willing to have one to test.
I still have not made mobile app to get nice representation of data, but it is in progress.
Currently, I have built template that hold sensors in place only for RP3, but it is trivial (naive assumption) to create for any turntable.
In order IR to work small white sticker need to be put on platter, as marker.

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello and welcome to ASR! :)

Such a nice and cool project!

It is not for me but it might be interesting for some forum goers. The thread title is not doing your content a favour though - I would suggest something a bit more descriptive and maybe also attractive. Good luck!

OP
D

dceriman

Thanks for warm welcome :)
OK, let me think about the title first

Top Bottom