• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How to power single room dual zone high power system?

bowbalitic

I am halfway through building a new 960sqft studio and this will be my first real sound system. I have picked my speakers, but I have not purchased them yet. I'm having trouble trying to figure out the receiver setup for my layout.

Picture of Room Layout below
Room Size~7000cubic feet
Speaker wire - Blue Jeans 12 gauge
I have 2 each dedicated 120v 20amp circuits right next to the stereo receiver location. 1 for sub and 1 for receiver and accessories.

Speakers:
8 each Revel Concerta2 S16 mounted on the wall, 6 Ohms, 50-120 Power Rating (4 zone 1, 4 zone 2)
1 each Revel Concerta2 C25 Center Mount Speaker, 6 Ohms, 40-120 Power Rating (Zone 1)
1 each PSA TV2112 21 inch Active Sub with Anti-Mode 8033S-II

I want zone 1 to be for watching tv/movies, and zone 2 to cover other half of the room for listening to music, so it will be Zone 1 only or Zone 1&2. Based on my research, I'm thinking either a 5.1 receiver with speaker selector switches, or a 9.1 receiver with 2 zones.

Both systems seem like they would have an issue with the fact that zone 1 Left speakers would be in the center of the room when using zone 1 and 2, I was thinking that maybe there was a switch or combination of switches that could resolve this if I went with the 5.1 setup, but I havent been able to find a solution yet. My concern with the 5.1 setup is that I think I would lack power when using zone 1&2, but I was wondering I could use an additional amp to power this.

I'm open to any recommendations on how to power this setup. I'm also not fixed on the speaker setup I have and am open to suggestions.

Screenshot 2023-12-12 072135.png

OP
B

bowbalitic

I added labels to the wall mount speakers to make it easier to assist. Thanks!
E Sounds.png

OP
B

bowbalitic

Well, I'm still researching this, but I figured I would update my question in case anyone else ever finds this thread.

It seems my whole understanding of sound systems was off to begin with. I was originally aiming for something like a 5.1 theater system for my tv watching with a 9.1 while listening to music. I have since learned that because music is only 2 channel, it is sort of expected for the system to only use the front left and right speakers and many purists prefer it this way. For me, I want to have the sound throught the entire house, so this wasnt goint to work for me. It seems like most lower end AV Receivers will only play music out of the front left and right speaker by default. Mid end AV Receivers should have something called Multichannel stereo which will send the stereo 2 channel to all speakers. Based on my limited research and understanding, this may still not be ideal because many mid end AV Receivers are really not optimized to make this sound great since most of their hardware and software is built around being a theater system and expects the user to stay in the same position. It seems some higher end AV Receivers include additional hardware and software to process the music for better sounding music using all (or most) of your speakers and allow you to tune the system more for multiple listening locations such as Dolby Atmos Music and DTS Neural (processing) and Audyssey (room correction)

I still have a lot to research, and may be completely wrong about the above, but if I am, hopefully someone can correct me to make and make it easier for some with a similar problem in the future. I may not update this thread again unless I get responses, but hope it helps someone.

Based on what I've found I am currenly thinking about setting up the below:

Looking at the Marantz Cinema 50 or similar AR Receiver with 2 2 channel amps for the zone 2 speakers.

Speaker Layout
Left Speakers - 3, 4, 8
Right Speakers - 1, 2, 6, 7

I removed speaker 5. My thoughts are still that 1-4 would be used in the 5.1 theater setup and 6-8 would be for audio walking around the room. The direction of the sound would rotate 90 degrees when I'm walking into zone 2, but I figured that is the best I could do with this layout. The door entry way is what made this layout challenging, I would have done something different with speakers 4 and 6 if I didnt have this dividing the room. Again, this is all theoretical, I may change the layout once installed.

(Speaker Number - Wiring for AV Receiver)
1 – Right+
2 – Right –
3 – Left –
4 – Left +
6 – H1 R
7 – H2 R
8 – H1 L

Center - Center
Sub - Sub

Top Bottom