• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hifiman Edition XS

Nkam

No, I had them and didn't keep them.

It's just that your kind of passive aggressive take with useless "no offense" added was kind of funny.

I mean are you truly, honestly, confused why some people like things you don't? If you are, then I can't help. If not, then your message was basically "there is something wrong with you if you like this headphone", right?

huh?

are you trying to find a fight where there is none?
zero passive aggressiveness.
rememeber text takes inflection out and isn’t the best source of communication.
so as such we shouldn’t make assumptions on what someone is conveying, unless it’s blatantly obvious from specific words.

I honestly didn’t want to offend anyone because sometimes people attach their personalities to the choices they make.
for example someone may buy a certain car, ( which was their choice of course) and if someone says they don’t like that car, it might make that person get defensive because they think their choices are questioned as poor choices.
where that might not be the case at all.

no I’m confused when something is so highly regarded from most people. And I don’t like it at all.
that could well be that I am the odd one out.
but you decided to get annoyed and be aggressive aggressive.

don’t know what to say.
I tried

peace

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For the life of me. I don’t know why people like these headphones so much.
no offense.
I just found them lacking body and punch.
And for the life in me, I see nothing useful in your post!
some like them, some don't, so what.
There could be numerous reasons why you don't like them. The subjective descriptions you used as reasons, are personal to you. I had one, and I liked them.
Were they perfect? NO, but for the money, to this day, I can not think of a better headphone.
I personally never thought much of the Sennheiser famous HD600's nor the 650 or the 660, yet they are highly regarded, so what?

Blorg

For the life of me. I don’t know why people like these headphones so much.
no offense.
I just found them lacking body and punch.

cheers
This tends to be a characteristic of bright planars with huge soundstage, there's something of a tradeoff between all that air/treble/huge soundstage and body/punch.

Dynamic driver headphones with similar characteristics (like the HD800S) can have this too, it is totally lacking in body and punch (to an even greater degree) but many like it for its qualities. Planars tend to have very good bass extension but tend towards being less punchy (there are exceptions like the LCD-X, or to a lesser degree Hifiman's own HE6SE). While something like Focal Clear or Utopia is much more punchy and physical but you lose the soundstage.

I have never heard a headphone that had both cavernous HD800/Hifiman egg soundstage, but also class-leading body and punch. The newer Hifimans like the HE1000 Stealth come closest, and I suspect also the likes of the Arya Organic/Ananda Nano that have that little bass shelf baked in, although I haven't heard them.

Edition XS is a marvel for (checks current price) $379, or under $300 on sale. I don't think there's anything that comes close... except maybe another Hifiman.

Nkam

This tends to be a characteristic of bright planars with huge soundstage, there's something of a tradeoff between all that air/treble/huge soundstage and body/punch.

Dynamic driver headphones with similar characteristics (like the HD800S) can have this too, it is totally lacking in body and punch (to an even greater degree) but many like it for its qualities. Planars tend to have very good bass extension but tend towards being less punchy (there are exceptions like the LCD-X, or to a lesser degree Hifiman's own HE6SE). While something like Focal Clear or Utopia is much more punchy and physical but you lose the soundstage.

I have never heard a headphone that had both cavernous HD800/Hifiman egg soundstage, but also class-leading body and punch. The newer Hifimans like the HE1000 Stealth come closest, and I suspect also the likes of the Arya Organic/Ananda Nano that have that little bass shelf baked in, although I haven't heard them.

Edition XS is a marvel for (checks current price) $379, or under $300 on sale. I don't think there's anything that comes close... except maybe another Hifiman.

THATS exactly it man .
thanks

i am not experienced with headphones ,since I am way more a speaker listener.
So I don’t know what headphones do what. But I can see how planar technology as in speakers leans more towards a more spacious sound but lacks in punch and body.

and yes I guess why people,love the XS so much is it’s enveloping soundstage. Because it did have a super impressive soundstage.
And the air and treble as you mentioned. Although the treble seemed a bit ‘ zingy’ for lack of better words.

anyway, thanks so much . That was exactly it.

cheers

Nkam

are there planar headphones which have more body and punch like dynamic drivers?

thanks!

Blorg

are there planar headphones which have more body and punch like dynamic drivers?

thanks!
Yes, Audeze LCD-X would be a good example. It's tuned very badly (really needs EQ) but it has body and punch that rivals the best dynamics. It is better than many, it has a lot more "body and punch" than the HD800S for example. HD800S is much better tuned and has more detail and much larger soundstage.

pk500

thanks!
@Blorg is spot on about the LCD-X, both about the bass and the need for EQ. Another Audeze that has solid punch and slam and doesn't need as much EQ is the LCD-2C. But that can doesn't have the treble extension of the LCD-X.

Top Bottom