• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help with choosing USB phono atage

Evening all

Recently upgraded from AT 120 USB turntable to a Rega P3 so have lost direct to pc option for the digitisation of records.

I don't want to spend a ton as I only digitise 7" and 12" singles so I don't have to get up and flip them every five minutes. I already have a Cambridge Audio Duo phono stage.

Gone down a bit of rabbit hole the last few days and my head is spinning. Looking at picking something up second hand. I was keen on Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 but concerned about it outputting left and right inputs not genuine stereo.

My budget is around 100 euros, second hand. I'd like 24bit 96 kHz capability.
Any hardware advice would be gratefully received.

MCH

Major Contributor
I use a sound blaster xfi HD that where I live can be get for ca. 30 euros used. I am very happy with it.
PS: it has a phono stage built in, but that isn't good, use the line in

OP
G
Thanks for the reply MCH.

Didn't that unit get a bit of a negative review here?

Undoubtedly I'm overthinking this.

MCH

Major Contributor
Unfortunately Amir could not measure the ADC, but I am sure there are measurements somewhere else in the internet...
What this reminds me is that I use the device as an adc on Linux. I have used it as a DAC in windows but I don't recall using it as an adc on windows. But if you are interested I could give it a try

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
What do you mean outputting left and right inputs and not true stereo? Stereo is a pair of mono channels. The 2i2 should work for your purposes.

Nutul

Julian Kreuse on YT makes wonderful technical reviews of audio interfaces, and for the 2i2 he covers the 2nd, 3rd and 4th gen.
You may want to check them out to see if they suit your needs, but I believe they do.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
I was keen on Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 but concerned about it outputting left and right inputs not genuine stereo.
The stereo will be fine.

I'd like 24bit 96 kHz capability.
You don't NEED that for analog vinyl. ;) But if your hardware supports it, the ONLY downside is bigger files.

I bought the ART USB Phono Plus when the old receiver I was using for its phono preamp died. But I haven't used it yet, and may never use it, because I found a digital copy of the (last?) record I was going to digitize. It got a "not recommended" rating by Amir. :( But he says, "So plenty good enough for digitizing LPs." The line-input looks OK (lower noise) so you could us it with your Cambridge preamp. (It's only 16-bit/48kHz. That's becoming unusual these days.)

I think I bought it just before Amir reviewed one, but I might have bought it anyway. I'm not THAT picky about "scratchy old vinyl". I do try to clean-up the "snap", "crackle", and "pop" but I don't expect "digital quality".

OP
G
The stereo will be fine.

You don't NEED that for analog vinyl. ;) But if your hardware supports it, the ONLY downside is bigger files.

I bought the ART USB Phono Plus when the old receiver I was using for its phono preamp died. But I haven't used it yet, and may never use it, because I found a digital copy of the (last?) record I was going to digitize. It got a "not recommended" rating by Amir. :( But he says, "So plenty good enough for digitizing LPs." The line-input looks OK (lower noise) so you could us it with your Cambridge preamp. (It's only 16-bit/48kHz. That's becoming unusual these days.)

I think I bought it just before Amir reviewed one, but I might have bought it anyway. I'm not THAT picky about "scratchy old vinyl". I do try to clean-up the "snap", "crackle", and "pop" but I don't expect "digital quality".
Cheers for your thoughts Doug.

Bit of surface noise on a record is part of the nostalgia. Just apply a light fix to anything that gets in the way is my policy.

OP
G
As you bought their turntable why not add their usb phono stage-
It's just about in your budget, though maxes out at 48khz.
Cheers Wolfie

Did consider it but it's 16bit too
Second hand Scarlett 2i2 seems the plan with adapters and a long USB lead to pc.

Up the Tooting Popular Front!

Top Bottom