• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help Please ( pwr amp beneficial???) -Topping PA5 Plus (or similar) vs Bi-Amping Pioneer VSX-935 to Polk SE ES50 Speakers

Hi all,

I am fairly new to audio equipment. My hifi experience only extends to owning a portable Fiio M15S DAC, Fostex Headphones and an Escape portable speaker. Have never built a stereo setup.

Anyways I just bought the below receiver and speakers, and am wondering how beneficial it would be to add an external class d power amp vs bi amping my speakers. I know it is a budget setup, but I’d still want to get the most out of what I have.

Would adding a class D power amplifier be at all beneficial in this set up?

I think the receiver puts out about 80 watts per channel or 160 watts total/bi-amped @ 8 ohms. I will only be using it for stereo, as it had all features I wanted for a more reasonable price than getting the same in a 2 channel.

Your help/ advice would be much appreciated! Thanks!

1697229926774.jpeg

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You can't add a power amp to that avr, it doesn't have the necessary pre-outs. Passive bi-amping doesn't double the power (it just offers the same amount of power and frequency spectrum to both terminals)....and means little, nor is it particularly beneficial, more marketing than anything....

Just hook up your speakers to the avr and enjoy....

OP
Brand-Newbie’n
You can't add a power amp to that avr, it doesn't have the necessary pre-outs. Passive bi-amping doesn't double the power (it just offers the same amount of power and frequency spectrum to both terminals)....and means little, nor is it particularly beneficial, more marketing than anything....

Just hook up your speakers to the avr and enjoy....
Thanks! So there is zero I can do to upgrade the system besides buying another receiver/system. Doesn’t it just need RCA output. What preout does it need?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks! So there is zero I can do to upgrade the system besides buying another receiver/system. Doesn’t it just need RCA output. What preout does it need?
Upgrading is generally done with the speakers....in your case maybe adding a sub or subs might be a thought. If you want a more powerful amp for your speakers then a different avr, or one with at least L/R pre-outs to accommodate external amp would be needed. The only pre-outs (pre-ampifier outputs) on your current avr are the subwoofer pre-outs, but those aren't suited for your L/R speakers. Your zone B/2 outputs are line outs (at least labeled as such), but more general advantage/usefulness is to be had with your avr's main zone in any case.

Just hook up your speakers and use them.....if you find something lacking then look to change things up perhaps.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
There is a Zone 2 L & R Line out - is that not the same as a preout?

A line-out would be at a fixed output level and the volume control on the avr wouldn't change it, a pre-out does enable volume control from the avr. If using a line-out you'd need an amp with a volume control (an integrated amp rather than power amp).

OP
Brand-Newbie’n
Ok, so wouldn’t the the Topping PA7 Plus qualify as much, since it has a volume knob?

If not, I do know what you mean by an integrated amp. So at least that could be upgraded? But that would be essentially be the same function as my AVR, so logically it doesn’t make much sense, right?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Ok, so wouldn’t the the Topping PA7 Plus qualify as much, since it has a volume knob?

If not, I do know what you mean by an integrated amp. So at least that could be upgraded? But that would be essentially be the same function as my AVR, so logically it doesn’t make much sense, right?
Yes, that Topping appears to be an integrated amp of sorts (might be more a power amp with an attenuator, didn't dig into it). (an integrated amp is the combination of a pre-amp section/switching features plus the power amp in one box).

Yes, your avr is also a type of integrated amp (by the term receiver that originally meant you had an am/fm radio tuner incorporated as well, often now more important to have internet capabilities to be "received").

Just use the avr you bought and see if there are any issues rather than worrying about "upgrading". Did you post up your desired system originally to get advice or did you just go shopping ? :)

OP
Brand-Newbie’n
Yes, that Topping appears to be an integrated amp of sorts (might be more a power amp with an attenuator, didn't dig into it). (an integrated amp is the combination of a pre-amp section/switching features plus the power amp in one box).

Yes, your avr is also a type of integrated amp (by the term receiver that originally meant you had an am/fm radio tuner incorporated as well, often now more important to have internet capabilities to be "received").

Just use the avr you bought and see if there are any issues rather than worrying about "upgrading". Did you post up your desired system originally to get advice or did you just go shopping ? :)
No already bought. Just getting advice. Bought on a budget and wondering if it’s possible to upgrade in the future without replacing or being redundant. Thanks for your advice! This is helpful!

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
No already bought. Just getting advice. Bought on a budget and wondering if it’s possible to upgrade in the future without replacing or being redundant. Thanks for your advice! This is helpful!
Usually the better route in a forum like this when seeking advice is to do it pre-purchase, where you could get rundowns of those various options for additions/changes/benefits before the first purchase :) Good luck....most of the sound is in your speaker/room interface, so setting that up as best possible is most of what you can do without changing gear.

Top Bottom