• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Enhancing KEF’s Acoustic Excellence through Advanced Room Correction and Parametric Equalization

Should KEF include room correction or PEQ in the software?

• Yes

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

dako

Dear KEF Team,

As an avid audio enthusiast and a long-time admirer of KEF's commitment to scientific innovation and acoustic excellence, I am reaching out to propose the integration of advanced room correction technology and parametric equalization (PEQ) capabilities into KEF’s speaker software. KEF’s reputation for creating speakers that deliver unparalleled sound quality is well-recognized. However, the addition of these features could significantly elevate the user experience by ensuring optimal performance in any listening environment.

1. The Case for Room Correction Technology:

Every listening environment possesses unique acoustic characteristics that can dramatically affect sound quality. Factors such as room dimensions, layout, and furnishings can create acoustic anomalies, leading to distortions in frequency response. By implementing room correction technology, KEF speakers could automatically analyze and adapt to the room’s acoustics, delivering sound that is true to the original recording. This would not only uphold but also enhance KEF's dedication to delivering pure and precise sound by compensating for variables outside of speaker design.

2. The Need for Parametric Equalization (PEQ):

While KEF speakers are engineered to perfection, the interplay between speakers and their environment is dynamic and complex. The inclusion of a PEQ feature would empower users to fine-tune their audio experience according to personal preference and specific room acoustics. This level of customization is particularly valuable for audiophiles and professionals seeking to achieve a precise sound profile or to mitigate particular acoustic challenges in their listening spaces.

3. Aligning with KEF’s Scientific Approach:

Integrating these technologies aligns with KEF’s science-led ethos. The ability to measure and adjust for the acoustic impact of a room based on precise data would reinforce KEF’s position at the forefront of acoustic innovation. Moreover, it would provide a tangible demonstration of how KEF’s commitment to scientific principles directly enhances user experience.

4. Market Expectation and Competitive Advantage:

The audio industry is increasingly recognizing the importance of adaptable audio systems. By incorporating room correction and PEQ, KEF would not only meet but exceed market expectations, setting a new standard for audio performance. This move could significantly enhance KEF’s competitive edge, attracting a wider audience seeking speakers that deliver exceptional sound in any environment.

5. Strengthening Customer Satisfaction and Loyalty:

Implementing these features demonstrates KEF’s commitment to customer satisfaction and user-centric innovation. Enabling users to optimize their speakers for any environment would enhance the listening experience, fostering greater loyalty and advocacy among your customer base.

In conclusion, the integration of room correction technology and parametric equalization into KEF’s speaker software presents a significant opportunity to further elevate the acoustic excellence for which KEF is renowned. By embracing these innovations, KEF can enhance the listening experience in any environment, aligning with your scientific approach and reinforcing your market leadership.

Thank you for considering this proposal. I look forward to seeing KEF continue to set benchmarks in the audio industry.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think the proposal needs to be addressed to someone at KEF.

But I see your point. I currently do PEQ on my Kef LS 50 Meta L-R, OG LS 50 Surrounds, HTC 3001 SE Center, and SVS SB 2000's Subs. Also use DLBC, and UBach. Obviously for the passive speakers, there's nothing to add in the way of DSP by the manufacturer. It's strictly a "roll you own" proposition for the end user.

Kef does have DSP with its active offerings, as part of its app. Those speakers are the LSX II, LS 50 Wireless II, and the LS 60 Wireless. I think the control is a little less elaborate than you would find in a full on EQ + DSP found in using, say, EAPO and Dirac, but it still delivers an excellent product, according to the reviews of ASR and Erin.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
On a practical level, as KEF connect APP user (and long standing KEF passive users as my veteran IQ speakers show), there are some features I´d like to see popping up some day.

-Expansion of adjustment parameters for subwoofer integration and parametric EQ.

-Dirac integration.

-Sources (particularly a CD player) than can be controled by the APP.

-An upgrade path towards multichannel, including atmos/dts decoding. That could squeeze the capacities of Dirac ART completely.

OP
D

dako

I think the proposal needs to be addressed to someone at KEF.

But I see your point. I currently do PEQ on my Kef LS 50 Meta L-R, OG LS 50 Surrounds, HTC 3001 SE Center, and SVS SB 2000's Subs. Also use DLBC, and UBach. Obviously for the passive speakers, there's nothing to add in the way of DSP by the manufacturer. It's strictly a "roll you own" proposition for the end user.

Kef does have DSP with its active offerings, as part of its app. Those speakers are the LSX II, LS 50 Wireless II, and the LS 60 Wireless. I think the control is a little less elaborate than you would find in a full on EQ + DSP found in using, say, EAPO and Dirac, but it still delivers an excellent product, according to the reviews of ASR and Erin.
Kef is actively engaged in this forum, which is why I am raising the issue here. Although Kef products offer some DSP capabilities, they are limited to basic functions. There is no option to fine-tune specific frequencies or to address room modes effectively, as most of the adjustments available are linear. There is also no way to time align the speaker with the subwoofer, a basic delay function to the subwoofer should be easy to implement.

Last edited:

Vacceo

Major Contributor
I´m no engineer, so I do not know how capable is the Music Integrity Engine that KEF actives pack. However, the APP has recently added elements such as auto wake up for the subwoofer or auto switch to TV. Since general adjustments such as adding or substracting db´s from certain frequencies (desktop mode or wall mode) do exist, I guess it can be possible to adjust further...

Top Bottom