• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best remote control?

nastypoker

I am looking at the Dutch&Dutch 8C's or the Kii Three active monitors.

The Kii control is a HUGE positive for the Kii's. I really like the wheel volume control, volume level display and having some digital inputs ready to go out the box.
With the D&D 8C's, I am looking at a MiniDSP SHD Studio + Microsoft Surface Wheel so I can still have a nice remote wheel volume control and a volume level display.

As far as I can tell, there is no other option available to me.

For total functionality, I need the following:

• Bluetooth
  • Toslink optical from TV
  • AES output to the monitors
  • Amazon Music streaming
  • NAS drive streaming files
  • Remote wheel volume control

Is there another product out there that can output AES and provide the above items? I don't mind using 2 devices together e.g. I have never used Volumio with the MiniDSP and some people say it is not good so I am tempted to get a different streamer for that function but that means the MiniDSP is just an expensive digital passthrough and volume control.

Keith_W

Major Contributor
Read this thread.

In short: the answer is no. I can think of no remote control in existence that can do everything that you listed.

For my own setup (I use my PC to stream music and Netflix, and play locally stored files), I use an Android tablet with BubbleUPNP, and JRiver on the PC. I lack Bluetooth, Toslink, and a volume control wheel. I can add Bluetooth and Toslink functionality by buying an external sound card that interfaces with the PC, but I have no need for that so I haven't done it.

If you need all the above functionality, I suggest you don't use the MiniDSP. Use a small fanless PC which will take care of streaming and locally stored files. You will need to add a sound card / interface like the RME Digiface AES (4 analog outputs) or RME Fireface UCX II (8 analog outputs) which will take care of Toslink, AES output. All this will still lack Bluetooth functionality so you need to choose a PC with built-in Bluetooth, or add a USB Bluetooth dongle. You will need to choose software to control all this, and I think the most versatile software that does everything you need is JRiver.

OP
N

nastypoker

Thanks. Interesting thread and seems like a gap in the market. I am sure it would be worth some hobbyist making a programmable wheel type IR remote control for <$500.

The reason I am looking at the MiniDSP is that is will just work. I don't need to worry about windows and booting up etc. It looks like the Wiim Pro + SHD will be a good combination.

Keith_W

Major Contributor
I am not sure about "gap in the market", more like companies that used to offer universal remotes with the functions you need have gone out of business. These days the cool kids are using their phones as remote controls.

If you are adept at programming and DIY, there are a number of Raspberry Pi projects. When I was seriously looking into this, I found a few projects with code that you could modify and use.

And BTW, it sounds as if you are not looking for a remote control if you want something like the Kii Control. That thing is more like a digital preamp. When you say "remote control", most people think of a wireless gadget that you can use to control your system from your sofa.

OP
N

nastypoker

And BTW, it sounds as if you are not looking for a remote control if you want something like the Kii Control. That thing is more like a digital preamp. When you say "remote control", most people think of a wireless gadget that you can use to control your system from your sofa.

I would be putting the Kii Control next to my sofa probably. Bit of a pain the cables need to run that far but I want to adjust volume and settings regularly and I really like the feel of the Kii control wheel.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
can anyone truly use their android as a remote control?

like i have a harman kardon amp and it has an ok remote and it also has an app and the app is kind... of... eh... works ok on some phones but its not a complete replacement

i feel the death of harmony really left a hole in the market... in fact i think logitech killed a whole bunch of pretty cool products (ie. squeeze box)

im not as particular as the OP but I do see a role for a smart remote where you can just load product profiles just like Harmony

something even in the vein of the old Marantz RC2000 but modernised

Keith_W

Major Contributor
I am using an Android tablet as a remote control. I use BubbleUPNP for streaming, and JRemote for JRiver. It works well.

smokey_mountain_asr

Forum Donor
Flirc is coming with an interesting remote, not checking all your boxes but good idea to see if you cross with other remotes.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor

?

fishergod

The Logitech harmony elite is what you should look into. Could be a long search since they are discontinued.

JSmith

Master Contributor
The Logitech harmony elite is what you should look into. Could be a long search since they are discontinued.
I'd say these are a good replacement for same;

JSmith

smokey_mountain_asr

Forum Donor
Logitech still does maintain the database, but hardware is getting harder to buy new or even used but you can get 650 remotes for $15-20 on different sites. I just bought two to keep me running for a while.

bloodshoteyed

Major Contributor

JSmith
i love the HW but seriously hate the SW (sino-based cloud with mandatory account registration - i mean, why tf for?)

fuzzy_logic

JSmith
I have one. It's ok, but the battery life is dreadful

Top Bottom