• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

BeoLab 90

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Continued from Thomas's gear thread.
I agree but they are still spraying sound into the room in every direction, imagine the sound with only a very narrow beam dispersion, ie all of the sound coming out of the front,imaging is unbelievable , bass is the most articulate and defined you will ever hear.
That's what a great set of horns like the M2 do, or many other speakers designed for narrow dispersion.
I'm no speaker designer but I don't get it. First they build a huge speaker with drivers spraying sound in all directions (ala Bose 901?), and then attempt to use DSP to control reflections or manipulate dispersion in some way?
All the while your condemning other speakers for "spraying sound into the room in every direction" as being wrong headed?
I owned great horns for 32 years, set up in a nearfield listening position they imaged better than any system I've ever experienced.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Traditionally a really good loudspeaker has controlled dispersion, ie a flat on axis response and smooth and even off axis response which mirrors the on axis, the idea being that the off axis and hence reflected sound doesn't 'colour' the sound.
The Beolabs and Kiis use spare drivers to cancel the reflected sound produced by the loudspeakers , producing a perfect polar response, the sound only comes out of the front in a relatively narrow beam.
Sound quality is unbelievably good.
Kei.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Traditionally a really good loudspeaker has controlled dispersion, ie a flat on axis response and smooth and even off axis response which mirrors the on axis, the idea being that the off axis and hence reflected sound doesn't 'colour' the sound.
The Beolabs and Kiis use spare drivers to cancel the reflected sound produced by the loudspeakers , producing a perfect polar response, the sound only comes out of the front in a relatively narrow beam.
Sound quality is unbelievably good.
Kei.
Bit like my vivid G3 then ...

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Continued from Thomas's gear thread.
What timing! My Beolab 90s were just installed and we get to calibrate them tomorrow.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Kal how fantastic, I am envious, will you post your thoughts once calibrated .
Keith

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Kal how fantastic, I am envious, will you post your thoughts once calibrated .
Keith
Sorry, I have to reserve my comments for my review. Issues of fact are another story.
In a multi channel conf?
Just a pair. I can use my regular speakers for center and surrounds but I am doubtful that is worthwhile.

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Just a pair. I can use my regular speakers for center and surrounds but I am doubtful that is worthwhile.
I was just kinda pullin your leg, should have added a wink to that, sorry. ;)
Centi' Anni

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I was just kinda pullin your leg, should have added a wink to that, sorry. ;)
Centi' Anni
Figures. We bantered a bit about that.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Kal Hi, I would be interested to hear about the set up and calibration process,
Keith

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Kal Hi, I would be interested to hear about the set up and calibration process,
Keith
That is today. Yesterday was just physical installation (although they do may sound).

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Kal:

What are the Beolabs currently replacing (so to speak)?

Top Bottom