• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Analyze audio signal from USB input

Merowinger

Hi everbody,
I'm Philipp from Germany and I am a newbee
I have an aftermarket Android headunit (HU) in my Mercedes Benz C180 (W205). Unfortunately the sound quality from the unit isn't very good. The sound signal from the unit goes through a converter (small box without any letters on it) in my armtray (which was placed there by the installer of the HU). One cable enters the converter, probably with analogue signal; unfortunately this cable comes from the middle console and cannot be plugged off. From the converter a short USB cable goes to the USB audio input of my car (the car only has USB audio in and no analogue audio in).
My question is: Is there a simple way to measure the audio signal coming from the USB port if I plug it into my notebook? Could I compare it somehow to the original audio from the HU?
Thank you!
Best,
Philipp

AudiOhm

USB is digital, I am unaware of any way to analyze a digital stream...

Ohms

wwenze

Major Contributor
Sometimes people use standard connectors like USB and HDMI for different purposes. I have a USB cable that is used to carry PCI-E signal.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If you plug the usb port into a laptop, it may show up as an audio source. Then you could find out if the digital stream is correct. It is unlikely this is the source of an issue. However, you need to find out if that is carrying audio over USB.

Top Bottom