• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amazing Anamorphic Illusion

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Watch this short video:

Notice how the knowledge of the illusion does nothing to remove it. By the same token with ear and listener testing, awareness of bias or "experience" with one's system cannot undo false conclusions.

In one of the TED talk I recall hearing how positive of a species we are. We tend to want to believe more than disbelieve. It is a survival instinct I think to keep us going crazy, thinking of all the things that can go wrong. That factor I think is at play here where we want to believe so badly that we ignore logic and direct evidence of the observation being false.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

fas42

Major Contributor
This is how ASA works in the audio world - the mind is given the clues as to what the illusion should be, and if the quality is good enough, then the mind makes it 'real'. If the defects are too obvious then the mind gives the fake the flick - in the above, if a couple of subtle mistakes were made in the printing, then the mind would home in on them, every time - and the illusion would always be rejected ... which is why ambitious audio rigs are nearly always obviously 'fake' ...

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
This is how ASA works in the audio world - the mind is given the clues as to what the illusion should be, and if the quality is good enough, then the mind makes it 'real'.

Show me a reference to ASA using the word "real" in the sense that you throw it around.

fas42

Major Contributor
Don't quite follow you there, Ray ...

Top Bottom