• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

3-4 way active project

Jaxjax

I would like to start a 3-4 way active speaker project as I'm semi-retired & it would be a 3rd system in house. I'm not trying to beat my existing systems as its all for fun.
For parts on hand I have
3- Yamaha P2500S amps
2- ScanSpeak D2905/9500 new in box

I would need to source rest of drivers from madi etc..
I need DSP XO & EQ solution ,,If laptop & software will do it then then probably that way or mini dsp
I would like to keep it all modular for speakers so I can change & move then around easy. These do not need to look pretty as in a dedicated room.
Was thinking ScanSpeak 32w4878To1 for bass drivers or similar vein. & don't really have a mid in mind yet.
If the tweeters are junk I can move off them... I will use the amps however.
Only looking to experiment & have some fun on this one or I'd copy someone else's...
Any input on a decent mid would be appreciated or anything else
Joe

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
I always recommend getting some speaker design software (for the woofer). WinISD is FREE. You plug-in the Thiele-Small parameters and the software helps you to optimize & model a sealed or ported design. You can "play around" with different drivers before you choose & buy one.

Of course, multi-way active speakers can be a "mess" and if I was building one I'd build the amplifier & crossover into the speakers. But if you want to utilize your amps...

If you go 4-way it's probably best to build a separate subwoofer.

I need DSP XO & EQ solution ,,If laptop & software will do it then then probably that way or mini dsp
I wouldn't trust a computer... The miniDSP is popular now. An Active crossover is another easy-inexpensive possibility but you don't the additional EQ possibilities that you have with DSP.

These do not need to look pretty as in a dedicated room.
Most of the speakers I've build are wrapped in leather-look viny like they use on guitar amplifiers. It's easier than a nice wood finish and more resistant to cosmetic damage, but to me it doesn't look bad (even in the living room). My latest speakers are wrapped in brown, but I've used black, and I even used white once which looked "dramatic" with black grill cloth.

MKR

Major Contributor
For the DSP, Hypex Fusion with HFD SW or the new Danville dspNexus also looks very interesting (though you will also need amps in this case)

OP
Jaxjax

Jaxjax

I always recommend getting some speaker design software (for the woofer). WinISD is FREE. You plug-in the Thiele-Small parameters and the software helps you to optimize & model a sealed or ported design. You can "play around" with different drivers before you choose & buy one.
I think I've played with that before, I'll download it again for sure. If I didn't have the Yamaha P2500S amps I'd just go Hypex plate but would really like to use these up on something. My main system in Dynaudio core 59's EQ'ed in analog domain via Elysia. They use Pascal . I have full Dirac but prefer not to use it there.
The Yamahas have basic XO's built in..I'll check it out further but I suspect it's just for running subs. 20 years ago or so I built some speakers & it was fun trying different drivers & such. I won't do it this time unless active. I'm an ok finish carpenter so building is not to hard for me except age is creeping on me.
Joe

D!sco

I definitely recommend learning VCAD, as it will allow you to simulate most possibilities with a lot of accuracy when used correctly. It can’t fix a bad box, driver, or baffle design, but it can inform choices by utilizing all of it‘s tools. A 3/4 way of your own design will be very challenging. Using a DSP crossover will help substantially, but can’t fix any fundamental flaws or conceptual errors, unfortunately.

Ardacer

For the mid,
SB12MNRX2-25-4 or
SB13PFC25-8

I used these drivers and can tell you they are real nice to work with. You should check to see the useable range due to thd and plan accordingly. Also, design the baffle with directivity in mind, it's best to put the tweeter in the most non symmetrical place possibile.

Owl

I've been battling my own 4-way passive set up and can certainly emphasize with the project. I basically had to remove the drivers and start over with a better, flush mount baffle and offset the tweeter and midrange. The measurements were only slightly better looking but there was an overall improvement in sound quality. If I had the money I think I would try 4 Hypex 2 way plate amps, just to go deeper into the rabbit hole.

Ardacer

4-way passive? Wow. I'm not willing to do a 3way passive due to 6 or so inductors I'd have to make. 4 way seems like a proper hell to do.

Sokel

Master Contributor
An Active crossover is another easy-inexpensive possibility but you don't the additional EQ possibilities that you have with DSP.
I would avoid going to the inexpensive analog old ones like Behris,they are maybe ok for their intended use but not for hi-fi.
For simple use they are even cheaper ones way better.

(here's a dirty measurement of a behri,compare it with the nice cheap one of the thread)

LSPhil

I tried a lot of midrange drivers such as Isophon PSM120, Isophon MTS120, Seas MU10RB-SL, Seas L12RCY/P, Seas W12CY001, Audax HM130Z12, SB12MRX25-4, SB12CAC25-4, Visaton B100, Dayton Audio RS52, Scan Speak 15M4624G00.
The Scan Speak was the best for me.

Last edited:

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
Struggling to understand what your ambition is.

You’re asking for a decent mid, but you can experiment, play around, and have fun with any mid right?

What would it take for you to look back at a successful project when you’re done?

OP
Jaxjax

Jaxjax

Struggling to understand what your ambition is.

You’re asking for a decent mid, but you can experiment, play around, and have fun with any mid right?

What would it take for you to look back at a successful project when you’re done?
Yes, Ill try differant mids & probably just start with scanspeak 15m in revelator or discovery. There is just so many that I thought to ask.. I don't want the hyper cheap route as I can never get it out of my head no matter how good it sounds.. So I'll over spend on drivers & go for a ride. I'm really wanting to start with the Scanspeak 13" & go from there..I'll just get everything from madisound as have had good experiences with them. I'm also leaning toward doing something basic for cabinets but like ATC so I can change baffles with ease.
Joe

OP
Jaxjax

Jaxjax

It might never be successful, but I've tried before without the toys available nowadays & was indeed very fun. I have main system that will always be there to enjoy music & other systems so there is no stress to be overly successful or beat anything. My main is a good gauge though.:)

Top Bottom