• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

2.1 budget desktop setup

Lightninghelix

Trying to create a 2.1 nearfield setup for music listening on my PC.

Right now I'm looking at the Edifier MR4 powered speakers ($180 CAD) and Yamaha 8" NS-SW050BL powered subwoofer ($200 CAD) but I don't think either have any crossover / sub output.
Is it possible to set crossover on a DSP program like Equalizer APO? If not, then I'm also open to suggestions on different speakers or subwoofers that have would work together. Budget is like $500 CAD but I'm willing to go further

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Welcome to ASR!

Many of the professional subwoofers have high pass filtered outputs for the main speakers. For example: Yamaha HS8S or Kali Watts WS-6.2. Both only have balanced (XLR) outputs for the main speakers which the Edifier MR4 supports (but with TRS connectors).

I think it is also possible to run the software cross-over in the PC using software such as VB-Audio VoiceMeeter in combination with Equalizer APO and a multi-channel DAC/audio interface or with separate DACs. But I know next to nothing about this type of software so perhaps other members more knowledgeable than me can chime in.

DLS79

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Some studio monitors and subs are designed to be parried with each other. For example the Adam T5Vs and T10s sub.

You feed into the sub first and then out to the speakers, and you set the crossover in the sub.

With that being said you need to decide how far down the rabbit hole you want to go.

Top Bottom