Search results

1. C

$2500 for System for Office with Standing Desk

Measuring the distance to the cabinets from the front of the sub?
  2. C

Sure. For 1, the distance is 1.9 meters. There are some built-in cabinets on the floor near the wall I am facing, so I have the sub a foot away from the cabinets.
  3. C

Will do. Is there some quick theory why 80 hz is best?
  4. C

OP here. What would be good crossover settings in miniDSP for the Ascend Acoustics Sierra LX speakers JBL LSR 310S (just one) Spinorama lists the LX's bass extension as 37 Hz. The 310S has not been measured by anyone using similar protocols to those on this site, to my knowledge.
  5. C

Well, I don't have one. Just commenting on the specs of the speakers under evaluation. I am leaning towards keeping the Sierra LX.
  6. C

I received my miniDSP / Dirac order today. I am using the Flex with balanced outputs. While we can always lie to ourselves with subjective assessments, I feel the miniDSP with Dirac sounds better than the miniDSP without Dirac, which is quick to test using the software console. More cumbersome...
  7. C

The Ascend Acoustics and the Genelec are tall enough to be almost level with my ears when on the stands. The stands can be angled, which could help with the shorter Neumann, although I haven't tried that. Thanks for the link!
  8. C

Here are three photos, one of each pair of speakers. My desk is unusually clean and in the sitting position.
  9. C

Yes, I had some IsoAcoustics stands from before that I am using. The Genelecs kind of rock back and forth if I put them on the stands, due to the monitors having rounded bottoms. But they seem stable if I keep the included Genelec feet on when I place the monitors on the IsoAcoustics stands.
  10. C

Hi, I'm the OP! I bought three of the high-testing pairs of speakers and am evaluating them. I plan to send two back for a refund. The three speakers are Genelec 8040B Neumann KH 120 II Ascend Acoustics Sierra LX (with a Topping PA5 II amplifier) Here are my current thoughts. I welcome any...
  11. C

Apple Music: Atmos Stereo Downmix?

This new blog post discusses my question at some length. https://archimago.blogspot.com/2023/11/musings-multichannel-mixes-are-more.html
  12. C

Apple Music: Atmos Stereo Downmix?

I just have a regular stereo system. In Apple Music, is there a consensus about whether to play the lossless, often high-res stereo mixes or the stereo downmixes of the Dolby Atmos mixes? I realize I could look up the DRs for some albums, but I just want advice on what I should listen to by default.
  13. C

Hi, OP here. I have a question about the trio of a 1) standing desk, 2) standmounts and 3) miniDSP. Say the speakers in my system for my home office are standmounted and the stands are, as normal, designed for the height of a seated person. When I stand up to work, the standmounts will now be...
  14. C

Thanks waynel for the discussion of the Neumi and the other advice. I did more investigation of the miniDSP and Dirac Live combo and the pair are more impressive than I thought. Say I first buy two analog speakers for near field listening. For the next upgrade, would you prioritize miniDSP or...
  15. C

Thanks for all the excellent advice so far. I have some more questions. 1. The Spinorama speaker measures page gives the scores of speakers with a "perfect" subwoofer and with EQ. The site also gives the EQ settings for each speaker. A pair of NEUMI BS5Ps goes for $170 on Amazon and gets a...
  16. C

Thanks! Those seem to be the best subwoofers at this price range. Do you feel that the Kali cannot produce 20 Hz sounds or that it just wasn't measured for whatever reason? How are important is 20 Hz to a subwoofer?
  17. C

I have no idea as I have never owned one. It shouldn't be crazy dominating the room. But I don't think it would. A response at the top of the thread mentions this Kali woofer. Any thoughts? https://www.kaliaudio.com/watts-ws62
  18. C

SweetChaos, you are the creator of the recommended list that has the Sierra LX ranked above the KEF R3 Meta. Is there a reason you recommended the KEF R3 Meta to me?
  19. C

Thanks for that helpful link. That Ascend Acoustics Sierra LX is in my price range and getting great scores, a tiny bit better than the Neumann KH 120 II. I wish someone had a simple preference score for subwoofers.
Top Bottom