• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bargain DAC Suggestions?

D

Deleted member 65

Amir, you could be our Windows Insider program guinea pig and get the Windows 10 UAC 2.0. Just a few clicks away ...

upload_2017-3-12_9-45-23.png

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I downloaded and ran their installation package. It the Cmedia installer something else? I did a quick google but can't find anything like that.

The Schiit package is their signed version of the Cmedia installer. I had to use it to get my Emotiva DC-1 working because I certainly wasn't going through the process of disabling driver signing. It should say CMedia when you run their installer.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The Schiit package is their signed version of the Cmedia installer. I had to use it to get my Emotiva DC-1 working because I certainly wasn't going through the process of disabling driver signing. It should say CMedia when you run their installer.
That's the one that doesn't work. I have run it with and without driver signing, with and without device being plugged in first and it keeps giving me that error.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Amir, you could be our Windows Insider program guinea pig and get the Windows 10 UAC 2.0. Just a few clicks away ...
When I worked at Microsoft about a year before the release we all had to run the next version. It was a pain with instability and performance problems. Now that I have left, I wait until they are released :).

D

Deleted member 65

When I worked at Microsoft about a year before the release we all had to run the next version. It was a pain with instability and performance problems. Now that I have left, I wait until they are released :).

Luckily the IT companies I've worked with focused on Mainframe & Midrange OS's. Latest info is that Windows 10 Creators Update (1703) is to be released April 11.

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I just use a machine with SSD and hammer it flat with the 90 day Eval version so I have a fresh install when playing with this stuff.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
You could have used this one. And BTW, shouldn't you be using Bing?

61570024-exploding-laptop-violent-smashing-computer-with-big-hammer.jpg

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Good news! Pulled out the big guns, I mean, my son :D, and he managed to get all the driver issues sorted out. I have done a preliminary pass. Will finalize the results in the next couple of days and post them.

Nightlord

Don't know what it costs everywhere, here it's a bit outside the range... but in any case... Chord Mojo would be my suggestion no matter if applying "budget" to it or not...

Nightlord

Because it's about as good a DAC as can be obtained. Test performance is quite spectacular. Quite possibly it would be impossible to hear a difference to a Chord Dave (which has even more 'ridiculous' test performance) in a normal use case (which costs 20x more and quite possibly turns most people off by the aesthetics).

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Because it's about as good a DAC as can be obtained. Test performance is quite spectacular. Quite possibly it would be impossible to hear a difference to a Chord Dave (which has even more 'ridiculous' test performance) in a normal use case (which costs 20x more and quite possibly turns most people off by the aesthetics).

The tests of the ODAC are also quite good, with noise, distortion, and jitter below the usual thresholds of audibility.

It has similar input and output connections to the Chord.

But it costs 1/3 the price of the Chord.

Or, going the other direction, the TEAC UD-301 (for slightly less money than the Chord) adds features the Chord doesn't have: balanced output.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Man it is ugly looking:

51jVzlOn7QL.jpg

:)

How is the driver install? And resale market after I am done testing it?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
The tests of the ODAC are also quite good, with noise, distortion, and jitter below the usual thresholds of audibility.

It has similar input and output connections to the Chord.

But it costs 1/3 the price of the Chord.

Or, going the other direction, the TEAC UD-301 (for slightly less money than the Chord) adds features the Chord doesn't have: balanced output.

Yes. There are any number of DAC's in that price range that should be completely transparent and measure very well but that wasn't supposed to be the focus of this test. I thought the idea was mainly to "measure" what could be accomplished for around a $100 or less? Amir already has hi end DAC's to measure for comparison.
Listening tests are subjective and there are many that do that BS very well.
Stereophile's Recommended considers a $2k Benchmark a bargain. :eek::D

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Yes. There are any number of DAC's in that price range that should be completely transparent and measure very well but that wasn't supposed to be the focus of this test. I thought the idea was mainly to "measure" what could be accomplished for around a $100 or less? Amir already has hi end DAC's to measure for comparison.
Listening tests are subjective and there are many that do that BS very well.
Stereophile's Recommended considers a $2k Benchmark a bargain. :eek::D

It seems like @amirm has raised the price boundary a bit to a few hundred bucks, unless I'm misunderstanding earlier thread posts.

Top Bottom