• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Amp Streaming Amplifier Review

Rate this streaming amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 13 3.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 43 10.2%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 231 55.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 133 31.7%

• Total voters

Talisman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not really. They are amplifiers and should do that properly within their respective design envelope. It is easily possible for very cheap chip amps to perform nicely with proper design. I earlier linked to an amp costing about a third of the Wiim amp that doesn't have load variance.
Nothing you have compared compares to the wiim amp. An amplifier module and a power amplifier.
Wiim has a suite of impressive features all within the cost, in no way can they compare.
You can get a hypex module for more money but then you will need a streamer, a preamp, a dac (with hdmi arc) a parametric equalizer, a bluetooth receiver....
No comparison based only on frequency response makes sense, because this is not a power amplifier nor a simple integrated amplifier.
If you want to make a comparison tell me how much the equivalent would cost in terms of functions but with a final amplifier without load dependency. So it would be comparing apples to apples

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I earlier linked to an amp costing about a third of the Wiim amp that doesn't have load variance.
It doesn’t cost a third. First you only get the PCB for the price listed, no PSU, no case, no connectors, never mind all the streamer features… secondly, as I mentioned before, that amp may violate the TI patent on the PFFB.

D

Deleted member 48726

Nothing you have compared compares to the wiim amp. An amplifier module and a power amplifier.
Wiim has a suite of impressive features all within the cost, in no way can they compare.
You can get a hypex module for more money but then you will need a streamer, a preamp, a dac (with hdmi arc) a parametric equalizer, a bluetooth receiver....
No comparison based only on frequency response makes sense, because this is not a power amplifier nor a simple integrated amplifier.
If you want to make a comparison tell me how much the equivalent would cost in terms of functions but with a final amplifier without load dependency. So it would be comparing apples to apples
I followed up on the post from others who compared the Wiim to Hypex and as such only compared to the amplification part. And I pointed out that it obviously is possible to do this part better for cheap as well. I don't see why it's an excuse to not do this proper because it also does other things.
Just like some AVR's don't get recommended in reviews because of lack of sustained power or relatively poor THD+N even though they as well have many other features than to just amplify a signal.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 48726

It doesn’t cost a third. First you only get the PCB for the price listed, no PSU, no case, no connectors, never mind all the streamer features… secondly, as I mentioned before, that amp may violate the TI patent on the PFFB.
It seems like I indeed read the price wrong on that review.

If it violates or not it does exist on the market and it shows how effective the feedback design is.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Doenerkunde

That’s exactly what I want to do with my dbr62 and b&w610 in my bedroom. I’m just hoping that the high impedance of dbr62 in the 4khz to 20khz area doesn’t boost too much the treble. Has anyone already tried this combo, or has any predictions?

Here is a crude in room measurement of my Elac DBR62 with a Marantz PM7001KI compared to the Fosi Audio V3 that is also based on the TPA3255 chipset and has a similar load dependency as the Wiim Amp:
fosi marantz centered.png

I´d say it´s pretty negliable and could easily be corrected with the Wiim Amps PEQ capabilty.

Voted „great“ on the Wiim Amp. Until recently amps made it virtually impossible to build a budget stereo system with well balanced costs between components. There are so many great deals when it comes to speakers, but it is hard to convince your non hifi friends to get a stereo system, when the costs for the other components significantly outweigh the cost of the speakers. The Wiim Amp might be a smaller „obstacle“ and will be my go to recommendation.

D!sco

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Sometimes sinad can be dominated be noise and noise stays at the same level on all power levels
It still confuses me why it would improve performance so drastically before failing, instead of the other way around. But I'm no electrical engineer.

Yoku-San

Forum Donor
I had the WiiM Amp for a few days and it's a nice amp. However I decided to send it back and wait for the WiiM Ultra Streamer which has HDMI ARC and a Phono Input to pair it with a DIY TPA3255 amp with PFFB (3e Audio based). That should be able to outperform my existing WiiM Mini+SMSL SU6+Marantz 2238B signal chain and fit better to my Wharfedale Linton. I hope the WiiM Ultra is released soon (WiiM said Q2 24).

dasdoing

Major Contributor
those sub-outs are funny. never seen a sub without a low-pass anyways. add a switchable 80Hz highpass for the main channels at least

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
I voted not terrible all do not sure it deserves even that much because all the hype about it. So it's only for the sake of integration (as all in one) even most of it is still gimmick. Long live good old Yamahas!

Inertiaman

Forum Donor
I'd like to permanently put to rest all this speculation about TI inhibiting PFFB implementations with patent/licensing threats/intimidations/cost.

Having spent, in a "former life", many 100's of hours with TI intellectual property attorneys, including extensive cross-licensing agreements with literally 100's of technology companies, I can guarantee that TI is not soliciting license fees from TPA3255 customers. Never. In. A million years.

TI virtually never enforces patents against their customers. They enforce their IP against their peer group: semiconductor companies. These demographics occasionally overlap (a company like Samsung, for example, who have a semiconductor subsidiary) and then it gets a little more gray. But for the sort of companies using TPA3255 in products here on ASR, there would be zero legal obstacles (originating from TI) to implementing the PFFB app note.

My best guess at why we don't see more PFFB is:
- many of the products/designers probably don't believe their primary customer demographic would understand/value/demand the functionality
- despite it not being rocket science, the technique *does* add complexity to the design. Many here argue its a trivial effort, but they aren't the ones held accountable for a stable, mass-produced PCB design. Every marginal function/complexity adds to the effort.
- although the PFFB technique example is > 5 years old, the "demand" for it and retail implementations of it have only emerged relatively recently. But as examples like 3e have recently come to market (sort of . . . their online store is empty 8 of 10 days) I think we can expect many companies who want to capture "audiophile" customers for TPA3255 based products to add PFFB in the near future.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
TI virtually never enforces patents against their customers.
Then why not state that one is free to use the technique in products that uses these TI chips? They do this with various other products I’ve used in the past.

Inertiaman

Forum Donor
those sub-outs are funny. never seen a sub without a low-pass anyways. add a switchable 80Hz highpass for the main channels at least
You can turn a highpass for the mains on/off with one tap of your finger in the Wiim app. The Amp implements it using one of the four PEQs. You can pick any f or Q you want, shape your highpass to your hearts content.

Karmacoma

Forum Donor
300€.... That's an unbeatable Price/performance/functionnality ratio...
Will definitely recommend it around me for a small setup.

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
You can turn a highpass for the mains on/off with one tap of your finger in the Wiim app. The Amp implements it using one of the four PEQs. You can pick any f or Q you want, shape your highpass to your hearts content.
Their latest roadmap shows they’re working on eight PEQs.

Top Bottom