• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

A millennial's rant on classical music

Ze Frog

Addicted to Fun and Learning
In my younger years I wasn't really a fan of classical music, however as time went by I have grown to really enjoy it. I think there reaches a certain point where you begin to appreciate certain things that you may not care for in younger years.

Robin L

Master Contributor
WoW! What a word. It has such intriguing meaning and can be applied to so many things if one uses it well. Thanks for the awesome word power lesson of the day. LoL... Amazing word. :D

I have been to maybe twenty large jazz band concerts, lotsa head banging small venue cold beer sorta stuff, lotsa rock and roll stuff, a few classical symphony sort of very large venue events, many many small intimate venue 2 and 3 piece jazz fun events with cold beer and snacks too so very informal and loose. But the kind of venue I appreciated the most was a large heritage house with the very large high ceiling room on the main floor. Not sure what the room was called or for but the acoustics, the talent and the program material combO was astounding. I want to do it again! I'll pay happily for that. NO problemO. :D I live in a musical wasteland at this time. There is a jazz club venue and they do have travelling musicians playing so there is variety but the schedule is spotty and I keep forgetting to check the schedule because of that. I really liked Vancouver for the various talent available most days of the week at a multitude of venues formal and casual. :D
Simulacra and simulacrum are terms I got out of Philip K Dick, as in Blade Runner. My experience is that televisual entertainments almost always have a "tell" that lets you know it's not real, whereas purely audio entertainments attempt to be "real" and are more successful as simulacra, even though most of them are events that never really happened, as in most studio-based rock recordings. AI is really gonna mess with all of this.

See also:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Simulacra and simulacrum are terms I got out of Philip K Dick, as in Blade Runner. My experience is that televisual entertainments almost always have a "tell" that lets you know it's not real, whereas purely audio entertainments attempt to be "real" and are more successful as simulacra, even though most of them are events that never really happened, as in most studio-based rock recordings. AI is really gonna mess with all of this.

See also:

Very nice detailing about the new word for me. :D I'm scared to use it in public for fear of being misunderstood without the other person having access to a dictionary..LoL...

Robin L

Master Contributor
In my younger years I wasn't really a fan of classical music, however as time went by I have grown to really enjoy it. I think there reaches a certain point where you begin to appreciate certain things that you may not care for in younger years.
I first got "turned on" to classical music in 1968, age 13, in the wake of the previous years flood of psychedelic music. Berlioz' "Symphonie Fantastique" is a program symphony, where the protagonist of the musical narrative attempts to overdose on opium in the wake of a failed romance. He hallucinates wildly. Synesthesia is what they call it (which opium can do, where sounds become images). The woman in question becomes a leitmotiv that haunts him through five musical movements, starting with awakening feelings and ending with his execution and a witch's sabbath celebrating his annihilation. It was all very Hammer Horror and appealing to a young teenager's imagination. Early psychedelia for sure. Within two years it was Beethoven's 200th birthday and I got excited about that music much as my contemporaries were excited about Led Zepplin. I didn't really get excited about Led Zepplin until much later, go figure.

Last edited:

Robin L

Master Contributor
Very nice detailing about the new word for me. :D I'm scared to use it in public for fear of being misunderstood without the other person having access to a dictionary..LoL...
OIP.jpg

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If the book is as intriguing as the hand painted art cover it must be a masterpiece. I have not read a fiction book in a longgg time. I used to absorb 1 or more a day or if slow and large maybe 1 in 3 days and I stopped reading fiction when I studied electronics.

Robin L

Master Contributor
If the book is as intriguing as the hand painted art cover it must be a masterpiece. I have not read a fiction book in a longgg time. I used to absorb 1 or more a day or if slow and large maybe 1 in 3 days and I stopped reading fiction when I studied electronics.
Early Philip K Dick is kinda variable. My favorite is "A Scanner Darkly" which was turned into a most awesome animated movie, starring Kenau Reeves and featuring Robert Downey Jr in a role he was born to play. A narc is assigned himself as a subject thanks to a bureaucratic error. Issues of identity become very complex. Narcs, in this story, wear "scramble suits" that make them a blur of different faces, thus unidentifiable. And folks get very, very stoned:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Early Philip K Dick is kinda variable. My favorite is "A Scanner Darkly" which was turned into a most awesome animated movie, starring Kenau Reeves and featuring Robert Downey Jr in a role he was born to play. A narc is assigned himself as a subject thanks to a bureaucratic error. Issues of identity become very complex. Narcs, in this story, wear "scramble suits" that make them a blur of different faces, thus unidentifiable. And folks get very, very stoned:

The video is good. The voice acting is exemplary. They are all so talented but Keanu Reeves is really versatile in that he acts, makes some sort of animation and cartoon sorts stuff I believe and he's getting aggressive and releasing more animation/cartoon stuff in the near future. Should be cool for sure. I could watch that entire video if available... I like relaxing drama that is wholesome and fresh new with very different plots.

Robin L

Master Contributor
The video is good. The voice acting is exemplary. They are all so talented but Keanu Reeves is really versatile in that he acts, makes some sort of animation and cartoon sorts stuff I believe and he's getting aggressive and releasing more animation/cartoon stuff in the near future. Should be cool for sure. I could watch that entire video if available... I like relaxing drama that is wholesome and fresh new with very different plots.
It's rotoscoped - the action is filmed with those actors (including Woody Harrelson and Wynona Ryder) then digitally painted over. It's directed by Richard Linklater and streaming (for a fee) on several outlets. It's also easy to find as a DVD and Blu Ray. You might want to check your local library.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I bookmarked the video for later viewing. I have experienced something similar to rotoscope stuff when I was invested in image manipulation techniques. I was using GIMP and several other free and subscription software packages including very sweet painting programs with image manipulation processes built in that could do paint over photo image conversions. It is very interesting stuff and as we see in that video the result is involving and has cool effects that pop. I think in a earlier age this might have been a occupation. I was advised in art class in junior high that if I wanted they could arrange me to to attend a arts oriented study instead of an academic/vocational combination and I did not take them seriously but in reflection that might have a been a very good lifestyle. I'm going to research Reeves and his new organization specializing in this sort of animation and see what's up with that.

MRC01

Major Contributor
My take on this is the biggest issue with classical music is the sound quality of the recordings and attempting to reproduce it on electronics and transducers. ... I went to her recital finallly and it was a pianist and her the flautist performing Prokofiev. I started crying because it was so amazing and I was so proud of her...LoL.. I was a mess. The rich amazing sounds where out of this world and I have never experienced anything like that since. So yeah the overall package of the recorded sound quality is poor.
This is ironic because classical music consistently has the highest quality recordings of any genre. For the most part they are well miced, well engineered, with little or no post-processing. The bar is high. That said, as a musician myself I can say there still is a difference between the sound of it being played live right in front of you, than on any audio system. But that difference can be relatively small with some of the best recordings.

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The biggest issue with classical music is the level of gatekeeping and snobbery within the community that is extremely offputting to newcomers who might otherwise like the music. I made the mistake one time of telling a classical music nerd I liked Haydn's keyboard concertos. It's apparantly not popular or socially acceptable in that community to like Haydn or even a lot of Mozart, with an exception of the operas. It's seen as too "basic," kind of like telling a metalhead you like Nickelback. Except, the classical music community doesn't have the kind of humor about it that the rock crowd does. That kind of gatekeeping is what drives people away and why classical seems like such an exclusive club. I love classical music myself, but don't care for it's fanbase. A lot of people complain about the toxicity of the fanbase of various genres, but from my personal experience, none of them have anything on classical.
That's utter nonsense. There is no community nor are there rules about what you like. I don't like Beethoven, so sue me. I still am a lover a classical music. It's no different from any genre, you have favorites and you have stuff that doesn't vibe.

Robin L

Master Contributor
That's utter nonsense. There is no community nor are there rules about what you like. I don't like Beethoven, so sue me. I still am a lover a classical music. It's no different from any genre, you have favorites and you have stuff that doesn't vibe.
You'll be hearing from my lawyers.

Axo1989

Major Contributor
It's rotoscoped - the action is filmed with those actors (including Woody Harrelson and Wynona Ryder) then digitally painted over. It's directed by Richard Linklater and streaming (for a fee) on several outlets. It's also easy to find as a DVD and Blu Ray. You might want to check your local library.

An extremely fun film.

Incidentally, there was a great rotoscoped episode of Fringe (for anyone into televisual scifi) that was either an homage or a precursor (I'm not sure of the chronology). I think that episode also featured Leonard Nimoy (he was a protagonist in the series, of course).

Edit: yes, it was season 3 episode 19 "Lysergic Acid Diethylamide"

Last edited:

Robin L

Master Contributor
This is ironic because classical music consistently has the highest quality recordings of any genre. For the most part they are well miced, well engineered, with little or no post-processing. The bar is high. That said, as a musician myself I can say there still is a difference between the sound of it being played live right in front of you, than on any audio system. But that difference can be relatively small with some of the best recordings.
Right now (speaking of Haydn) I'm listening to Sir Thomas Beecham's/Royal Philharmonic Orchestra recording of the "Surprise" Symphony (No. 94 in G). It was recorded in 1957, in mono. The sound is clear and easy on the ear, there's nothing antique about it. Technically speaking, Classical Music recordings were the first to be of genuinely high quality.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Right now (speaking of Haydn) I'm listening to Sir Thomas Beecham's/Royal Philharmonic Orchestra recording of the "Surprise" Symphony (No. 94 in G). It was recorded in 1957, in mono. The sound is clear and easy on the ear, there's nothing antique about it. Technically speaking, Classical Music recordings were the first to be of genuinely high quality.
I don't doubt the integrity and effort put into the classical recordings. I can't hear all the stuff like I can when it is live and that makes it annoying. Something like a 3 pc jazz recording or rock group with special effects and stuff seems to be able to be conveyed without me sensing loss of definition and bad separation of instruments. The rock stuff is mostly instruments that I have no idea what they actually sound like so I accept them and the jazz stuff comes through loud and clear but classical to me is a hash of sounds. That's why I don't purchase classical music releases. I wish it where otherwise because more is better for me.

Keith_W

Major Contributor
I love classical music myself, but don't care for it's fanbase. A lot of people complain about the toxicity of the fanbase of various genres, but from my personal experience, none of them have anything on classical.

I agree with you on that one, and I have been listening to classical music almost exclusively for all my life - such that I might be turning into a toxic fan myself ;)

The last time I visited my parents, my dad proudly told me at the dinner table that he bought tickets for us to go listen to an orchestral performance of John Williams' Star Wars since he knew I liked classical music. My sister knows how much I hate "pop classical" and she told me that I noticeably winced in front of everybody. Still, I dutifully went to the concert, absolutely hated it, and politely applauded at the end.

Jaxjax

I always have time for classical music in my life & my taste in music is broad. Metal to classical with very little pop & no rap. I do like to listen to it alone & usually on my main system or headphones... So much going on with it that I miss most of it when just doing the background gig. I remember when Yngwie Malmsteen 1st got to the states... I was shocked at his crossover with classical & his training from his parents. Plenty of classical players crossover but this was different & at the time was fairly mind blowing. I enjoy the classical ride when I'm listening to it. There is ALOT going on & I appreciate it Same if I was listening to TOOL.. I also appreciate that, or SRV, Beck, etc..etc. I have attended classical only at local historical theaters & have never worn a suit to one. Cello's blow my mind on tonality, just so good.

Robin L

Master Contributor
I agree with you on that one, and I have been listening to classical music almost exclusively for all my life - such that I might be turning into a toxic fan myself ;)

The last time I visited my parents, my dad proudly told me at the dinner table that he bought tickets for us to go listen to an orchestral performance of John Williams' Star Wars since he knew I liked classical music. My sister knows how much I hate "pop classical" and she told me that I noticeably winced in front of everybody. Still, I dutifully went to the concert, absolutely hated it, and politely applauded at the end.
I'm trying to remember the book I read concerning Star Wars and John Williams scores for various movies. The author attempted to make a case for considering William's scores as proper "Classical" scores while denigrating avant garde Classical/Concert music as some sort of a communist plot. I really didn't buy any of it, but Williams' music is just another variety of music I don't need to waste my time on. There's plenty of that in all genres. I do make a concerted effort to appreciate as many different types of music as possible, but after a certain number of listens I know what I like and don't like. I can hear who Williams is borrowing from, which easily dilutes whatever aesthetic impact I might get out of his music. Thank you, Holst and Mahler. I suspect if I went to a concert of John Williams' music I probably wouldn't absolutely hate it, there is some fun orchestration going on.

There are "Pop" Classics I like, but they are more like Sir Thomas Beecham's "Bon Bons", short, sugary works suitable for encores. If I want pure orchestral bombast, I'll take Bruckner, thank you very much.

Robin L

Master Contributor
I always have time for classical music in my life & my taste in music is broad. Metal to classical with very little pop & no rap. I do like to listen to it alone & usually on my main system or headphones... So much going on with it that I miss most of it when just doing the background gig. I remember when Yngwie Malmsteen 1st got to the states... I was shocked at his crossover with classical & his training from his parents. Plenty of classical players crossover but this was different & at the time was fairly mind blowing. I enjoy the classical ride when I'm listening to it. There is ALOT going on & I appreciate it Same if I was listening to TOOL.. I also appreciate that, or SRV, Beck, etc..etc. I have attended classical only at local historical theaters & have never worn a suit to one. Cello's blow my mind on tonality, just so good.
Beck has an excellent tribute track for Harry Parch, very much in that eccentric composer's eccentric idiom:

Top Bottom