• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NEOHIPO ET30 VU Meter Speaker Switcher Review

Rate this VU meter/Selector

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 1.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 8 3.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 52 24.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 151 70.2%

• Total voters

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Last edited:

Sernyl

ocinn

Maybe I’m just an idiot but I don’t understand a “Db” scaled VU for speaker level outputs.

Db scaled VUs should be before speaker level control (preamp) and amplification to show the level of the raw signal (I have a TC Clarity for this).

All speaker-level VUs I’ve ever seen are scaled in watts, ideally derived from:

watts = (volts^2)/ohms
or
watts = (amps^2)*ohms.

Feel free to enlighten me, but I’ve never seen something like this before nor do I understand it’s purpose beyond audio jewelry (whereas a real watt meter, or line level db meter would serve a purpose)

beagleman

Major Contributor
The interest here is purely for fun. Something to look at while listening to music. Some if us grew up with audio gear that had these. Then we needed them to be accurate as we set record level on tape machines. That need is far gone so lack of accuracy is not at all a wory.

Before Cell phones, and Db apps, it was a fun/interesting way to simply see the relative level of a recording.

I am not sure what makes this meter truly different than a "power" meter, but serves the same purpose.
I remember sitting with a friend watching how much movement we got on Dark side of the moon, and being impressed how the Heartbeat starts so low you can barely see the meter move to full blast as it hits the loud part....:)

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Feel free to enlighten me, but I’ve never seen something like this before nor do I understand it’s purpose beyond audio jewelry (whereas a real watt meter, or line level db meter would serve a purpose)

My IEC 60268-17 compatible DIY 12-VU-Meter Array would be of your interest and reference.

As I wrote in my post #110, even though personal nostalgia and preference are the major motivations for my IEC 60268-17 compatible DIY 12-VU-Meter Array, at least in my DSP-based multichannel system (ref. here for the latest setup), it also has practical role and value together with various Peak Meters in digital domain on audio dedicated silent PC screen.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Thank you for your kind info.

Just for our reference, in my DIY 12-VU-Meter Array, the IEC 60268-17 compatible NISHIZAWA R-65 VU Meter has large rather thick glass (W100 mm x H40 mm) face.

Glass just feels more expensive (and it is). It doesn't scratch as easily as polycarbonate or perspex, but is easy to damage, weighs more and can chip or shatter completely.

For anything being shipped across the world, glass makes no sense. This is a commercial product, not one guy's 12 movement meter bridge.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Glass just feels more expensive (and it is). It doesn't scratch as easily as polycarbonate or perspex, but is easy to damage, weighs more and can chip or shatter completely.

For anything being shipped across the world, glass makes no sense.

I essentially and generally agree with your points.

You would please understand and allow me, however, that the large glass face VU-meter is just my personal preference and nostalgia, in my DIY 12-VU-Meter Array, and also in my amplifiers; ACCUPHASE E-460, YAMAHA A-S3000 (ref. here).;)

Last edited:

beagleman

Major Contributor
I am having a hard time finding WHERE this is sold....
I am finding "Similar" items under different names, (Ebay and Amazon) but not THIS one.....hmmm

Like an actual link to IT

Last edited:

bloodshoteyed

Major Contributor
interesting, i get no hits neither on amazon.com, neither on local EU sites

Hart

What is it about meters? When the Proton D1200 came out in the 80's I loved the big green meters. Found one in perfect condition a year ago and fulfilled an old dream unattainable years ago due to a college budget. In a dark room it's kind of mesmerizing. Will eventually go to a D-class amp but for now....

dzerig

It's ok, but why is the numbering linear above 0db? That's not how I remember it.

Kachda

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
interesting, i get no hits neither on amazon.com, neither on local EU sites
I think it’s all sold out on amazon so it’s not showing up anymore

Last edited:

Alegretti

How would you even set the level correctly without an analyzer to know when your amp is clipping or actually at 0dB?
Disconnect your speaker, play a 60hz tone, increase the volume until it reaches the clipping voltage already known on the multimeter and set the meter to 0db.

musicforcities

I am torn on this. I am new to these measurements and this site in general so I feel I need to read up on these topics more, but this seems incorrect. I would be upset if I had something that measured a scientific value but was off by this amount. Is this type of error normal or justifiable for a VU meter? I would normally view this as an order of magniture error. Surely there is instrumentation that can do better, but maybe this is normal for what is such a nebulous unit. That all said it looks awesome and the build quality seems great.
You know the old saying: close only counts Horseshoes, handgrenades and vu meters.

Arim answered already but I’ll just add that a) vu meters are almost inevitable so what inaccurate. Even in amps that have them built in, meters drift and need calibration or recalibration and or vary based on loads/speakers. Depends a bit on the circuit etc. if you really want to know power draw, etc there are many more accurate and useful ways of capturing and displaying it. But none are as sexy as big vu meters.

And it’s just ornamental anyway unless you are testing equipment. In which case you won’t be using vu meters these days anyway. knowing that info is useless for almost anybody and anything using reasonably modern sources and speakers (say from 1980 on, likely from 1960 on…okay maybe if you using vintage electrostatic quads or acoustats maybe they are sort of informative in a very general way).

musicforcities

Here is the most important question for me: the the metal case big enough to fit the 3e audio TPA 25xx module and perhaps its psu that Amir recently reviewed?

Anyone have photos of the inside of this puppy?

I am only half kidding. Could be the cheapest and easiest way to diy an amp around that module if you want vu meters: Take out all but 4 binding posts (maybe 8 if you want to keep some switching function ), swap in xlr or rca jacks, maybe a 12v trigger jack, keep the meter driver and meters etc, now connected to the amp output.

May need to add some heatsinking or thermal mass to the case, but it looks like decently thick on the sides and top at least.

I could live with an external psu in a case that also has the 5v supply for the VU features and pop a four pin airplane type connector in and unused speaker jack port. Or heck, reuse two of the amp in speaker terminals for the amp power supply.

Would likely need to widen a couple holes for xlr jacks (unless one went with mini xlr or din type. but rca jacks could be easily swapped in. Or again, what the hey, just reuse some of the jacks and directly screw a balanced cable leads in, using a screw for the shield. lol.

Last edited:

musicforcities

From Reddit with two fossi v3 for size comparison…yea maybe it could fit the 3e module in there…

Maybe even a couple of the mono 3e modules (with external psu or in the center maybe). All depends on interior layout and how the speaker jacks are mounted I suppose. I suspect it’s mostly empty

Oh yeah…

1702762745500.png

Last edited:

m_g_s_g

Forum Donor
If you're unsure if you need something like this and you mainly use your PC to listen to music, you may want to first try some free VST VU Meters and/or spectrum analyzer plugins. I have them running most of the time (hidden), but sometimes like to check (mostly the spectrum). I do have enough screen real estate though...

I just use a VST Host, voicemeeter banana and some free VSTs.

(I installed the VST after selling the Motu 2, I missed its display. Now I've settled for the Motherboard sound device and a Qudelix - I don't use EQ VSTs, both the Q5 and the KH80 already have).

1000057591.jpg

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The visualizations I have used on PC have too much latency which bugs me to no end so they are not a replacement for a hardware solution at the end of the chain.

joqueval

From Reddit with two fossi v3 for size comparison…yea maybe it could fit the 3e module in there…

Maybe even a couple of the mono 3e modules (with external psu or in the center maybe). All depends on interior layout and how the speaker jacks are mounted I suppose. I suspect it’s mostly empty

Oh yeah…

View attachment 334790
Here is the most important question for me: the the metal case big enough to fit the 3e audio TPA 25xx module and perhaps its psu that Amir recently reviewed?

Anyone have photos of the inside of this puppy?

I am only half kidding. Could be the cheapest and easiest way to diy an amp around that module if you want vu meters: Take out all but 4 binding posts (maybe 8 if you want to keep some switching function ), swap in xlr or rca jacks, maybe a 12v trigger jack, keep the meter driver and meters etc, now connected to the amp output.

May need to add some heatsinking or thermal mass to the case, but it looks like decently thick on the sides and top at least.

I could live with an external psu in a case that also has the 5v supply for the VU features and pop a four pin airplane type connector in and unused speaker jack port. Or heck, reuse two of the amp in speaker terminals for the amp power supply.

Would likely need to widen a couple holes for xlr jacks (unless one went with mini xlr or din type. but rca jacks could be easily swapped in. Or again, what the hey, just reuse some of the jacks and directly screw a balanced cable leads in, using a screw for the shield. lol.
Interesting modification project.
I think it could serve your purpose, it is a little shorter than the V3, inside the design is clean and with useful space.
I leave you some images.
Regarding the vu-meters, the protective screen is made of polycarbonate and as @restorer-john comments, the glass could be a problem for transport- (I work with tempered glass products and even though it is resistant, accidents sometimes occur)

Attachments

• ET-30-INs.jpg
    ET-30-INs.jpg
    328.9 KB · Views: 165
  • ET-V.jpg
    ET-V.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 163
Top Bottom