• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

3e audio TPA3255 260-2-29A Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier (kit):

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 53 20.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 194 76.4%

• Total voters
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I fixed the review a bit. As to why test it, I have in the past tested reference designs from Purifi/Hypex that they put in boxes for me for ease of testing. Such was the case here.

jayapple

Nice performance, though not exactly unsurprising. What I find surprising is why these PFFB designs have such a high price premium. It's only a handful of cheap additional components to add, yet these amp boards are usually at least 50% more expensive. I guess performance has its price... at least until all the others start copying the design.
The patent has expired, but the price they sell seems to include the patent fee, so I'm waiting for FOSI to come up with a cost-effective product.

NoMoFoNo

I'm glad this unit was tested. It lends (additional) weight to the fact that there exists great potential, not to mention affordability, of amps based on TPA325X modules. Such amps, offered mostly by Chinese manufacturers to date, have the potential to obliterate the overpriced and over-fetishized amplifier market and I love it. Great performance, small size, very low cost, this is the way. IMO, the makers and marketers of Hypex and Purifi should be very worried about their future.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm glad this unit was tested. It lends (additional) weight to the fact that there exists great potential, not to mention affordability, of amps based on TPA325X modules. Such amps, offered mostly by Chinese manufacturers to date, have the potential to obliterate the overpriced and over-fetishized amplifier market and I love it. Great performance, small size, very low cost, this is the way. IMO, the makers and marketers of Hypex and Purifi should be very worried about their future.
You overestimate the product and it's place as a price point.

NoMoFoNo

You overestimate the product and it's place as a price point.
I dunno. Show me the average buyer who isn't really into HiFi as a hobby who won't gobble up small, Class D amps that perform like this for what will become a couple hundred dollars or less (from the likes of Fosi and Aiyima most likely) instead of paying (comparatively) through the nose for Hypex and Purifi modules-in-a-box. IMO, If something like the Fosi V3 offered this level of filtering for, say, an extra $50 they'd eat competing Hypex and Purifi modules for dinner.

3eaudio

Audio Company
Nice performance, though not exactly unsurprising. What I find surprising is why these PFFB designs have such a high price premium. It's only a handful of cheap additional components to add, yet these amp boards are usually at least 50% more expensive. I guess performance has its price... at least until all the others start copying the design.
it is not only PFFB, also the component and design upgrade.
you really think Aiyima or Fosi add few components for PFFB and claim you extra 5-10USD?

Reactions: WTW

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
it is not only PFFB, also the component and design upgrade.
you really think Aiyima or Fosi add few components for PFFB and claim you extra 5-10USD?
I’m not denying that your amps use pretty nice components, but yes, add PFFB, and you can easily ask $ 10 more if the implementation is done right.

Hiten

daniboun

Major Contributor
Not the same ones as the one reviewed here,I had a look as well. @pablolie is right about it.
Maybe a note has to be added to the title of the review.
I asked Amir to update the Title of the review. )

daniboun

Major Contributor
If price is approaching around 300 US dollars which is almost same as Yamaha R-N303BL receiver. Yamaha has Wifi, Bluetooth, Tuner, Phono, Tone controls with bypass switch. And Yamaha may be wide band, load independant, good power output, and low high frequency distortion at maximum power level in comparison.
https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-R-N303BL-Stereo-Receiver-Bluetooth/dp/B074F246M9/ref=sr_1_7?crid=2W4TG0PWZUZ7&keywords=yamaha+rs+receiver&qid=1701960159&sprefix=yamaha+rs+receiv,aps,730&sr=8-7
Regards.

Measurements please ? The audience here cares about this...

daniboun

Major Contributor
As tested, I don’t think it is orderable as a unit. It was sent by the manufacturer for testing…. If it is intended as a “kit” (which is a product), at a minimum, a parts list and detailed assembly instructions should be provided. I’m not sure I can trust myself to pick the right cable sizes, the correct power switch, etc. Am I going to see the same performance if I route some cable “wrong”? Am I at risk to only see smoke & flames?

This is a DIY module, just like the Hypex Nilai modules, or other Pascal, IcePower etc... In essence, DIY takes on its full meaning when you are able to juggle the elements around the amp . The amp that was sent by 3E Audio to Amir is really simple to build for an average DIYer
If you are not comfortable with this concept, then you should actually avoid going DIY.... The benefit of DIY also lies in saving money :)

For $350 you can build a great amp that will rank in the top list of the best Class D amps )
As a DIYer, here is what I say:

- Robust and easy to integrate module
- Good quality components
- Quality heat sink
- Excellent performance @$100
- Well protected (Overheat / Anti Pop / Over Voltage)

I recall what I shared, if we consider its performance/quality/price ratio, here is its position compared to the competition :

index.php

Tangband

Major Contributor
Yes it is, there is only one unique Store from Aliexpress for the 3E Audio module.
You will be able to save around 25% by going through Aliexpress but at the sacrifice of the guarantee and with the fear (for the EU) of having a tax of 20% during importation relating to the new European regulations

Personally I order everything from Audiophonics to get the "solid" warranty and the possibility of returning the goods within a month if ever dissatisfied)
Concerning the PSU, for having participated in several DIY projects around the TPA 325X. I can recommend these 3 models:

Nice !
For those who wants an external supply :

daniboun

Major Contributor
Was the exact amp as reviewed ever orderable? Just curious.

YES it is !
I ordered 2 MONO modules and the Stereo One, I received everything and without long delay )

Everything in stock@Audiophonics )
Here my Stereo 3E Audio Amp :

1702020722008.png
1702020740546.png

Last edited:

Tangband

Major Contributor
YES it is !
I ordered 2 MONO modules and the Stereo One, I received everything and without long delay )

Here my Stereo 3E Audio Amp :

View attachment 332484View attachment 332485
Is the soundquality and measurements better using your amplifier or using a Fosi V3 ? I guess you have compared ?
I can see you use the 44 euro Audiophonics 48 v power supply for your amplifier - is it good ?

daniboun

Major Contributor
Is the soundquality and measurements better using your amplifier or using a Fosi V3 ? I guess you have compared ?
I can see you use the 44 euro Audiophonics 48 v power supply for your amplifier - is it good ?
I don't know if you had the opportunity to follow my DIY projects? I have built around 20 TPA325X amps in two years. I have tested almost everything (including DrMordor, Sylph Audio, XRK etc.)
This 3E Audio module is probably my favorite and actually the one that measures up best. Regarding the choice of PSU I'll let you read my thread)) I even shared Meanwell VS Connex measurements and other information.:)

MCH

Major Contributor
I don't know if you had the opportunity to follow my DIY projects? I have built around 20 TPA325X amps in two years. I have tested almost everything (including DrMordor, Sylph Audio, XRK etc.)
This 3E Audio module is probably my favorite and actually the one that measures up best. Regarding the choice of PSU I'll let you read my thread)) I even shared Meanwell VS Connex measurements and other information.:)
Have you had the chance to measure what max power you get with the 48v/5A (?) PSU in your build?

ocinn

I have been citing this module for months now as one of the greatest values in amplifiers… ever made.

So happy to see it live upto the companies measured specs on the data sheet.

This is frankly unbelievable for the money. High value dacs, preamps, amplifiers and IEMs are now all “solved problems”

Next up, high value ultra low distortion speakers

Tangband

Major Contributor
Can you give me a link so I can read ?

daniboun

Major Contributor
Can you give me a link so I can read ?
Checkout from the beginning, you will find plenty of info, additional measurements, pictures etc.

Top Bottom