• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Most beautiful speakers in the world ?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
What are some of your favorite looking speakers (or other gear) Sal?
Looking with no relation to sound quality.
Just about anything retro or steam punk related, big horns, lots of big exposed tubes, amps with big VU's, etc.

egellings

Major Contributor
What fun is life without style?;)
Lifestyle can be good with proper selection, but it's not a good descriptor of a speaker's sonic performance. I'll go for a mediocre-looking speaker that tickles my nun-handles just right over a beautiful looking one that doesn't. Of course, having the best of both worlds would be the way to go.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Looking with no relation to sound quality.
Just about anything retro or steam punk related, big horns, lots of big exposed tubes, amps with big VU's, etc.

Cool. Some of that resonates with me.

What do you think of this guy's stuff? All self-designed apparently (at least amplification). Pretty Steam Punk. Look at those amps, between the speakers!!!!
(Actually it's a smorgasbord of fun equipment design sitting throughout the room).

https://ucarecdn.audiogon.com/37754db7-d447-493b-a857-51a4da0f9204/-/autorotate/yes/-/quality/smart/-/format/auto/

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
What do you think of this guy's stuff? All self-designed apparently (at least amplification). Pretty Steam Punk. Look at those amps, between the speakers!!!!
OMG, that's awesome! Those amps are incredibly kool.
I'm wondering what that tube monster on the far left is?
I'm guessing it is a tube crossover for the IRS Beta speaker set which originally
came with outboard dedicated SS crossover stuff...
OMG, as a young man how I drooled & lusted over those speakers. I used to run downtown (Chicago)
to a high end dealer there every month or so to listen to them. Maybe rose colored glasses but
they still live in my memory as the finest sounding speakers I ever heard. Never had the chance
to hear the big daddy's IRS V's. I used to think about driving to PS Audio to hear Paul's rehab'd
pair but I imagine they're gone now that he has his own line of speakers.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
OMG, that's awesome! Those amps are incredibly kool.
I'm wondering what that tube monster on the far left is?
I'm guessing it is a tube crossover for the IRS Beta speaker set which originally
came with outboard dedicated SS crossover stuff...
OMG, as a young man how I drooled & lusted over those speakers. I used to run downtown (Chicago)
to a high end dealer there every month or so to listen to them. Maybe rose colored glasses but
they still live in my memory as the finest sounding speakers I ever heard. Never had the chance
to hear the big daddy's IRS V's. I used to think about driving to PS Audio to hear Paul's rehab'd
pair but I imagine they're gone now that he has his own line of speakers.
Infinity at the time was making several very cool great sounding speakers. They had a cool lineup from the bottom to the top. I retailed almosttt the full product line. We stopped at the big ones but we went as far as IRS towers and the Kappa series. :D

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Yep, he's replaced them with his new Aspen FR30's.
Of course he claims they sound better, maybe they do.
They'll still be there in another room.
It's been almost 40 years since then but it's gonna be hard
to improve the bass range over those towers.
Anyway time passes and we turn another page.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
They are a f:facepalm: eyesore!

In an alternate reality, I would like to put a down-payment on a pair of totally nude [aka nekkid] models.
Some here wished for in-wall speakers but I don't even want those.
I want my speakers to be like a ubiquitous fog, or like H.Clinton said "a nothing-burger"!:oops:
I don't even want to see the wires: I simply want to enjoy the music, absent of the coiffeur making it more pretty...
... and more costly!

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
They are a f:facepalm: eyesore!

In an alternate reality, I would like to put a down-payment on a pair of totally nude [aka nekkid] models.
Some here wished for in-wall speakers but I don't even want those.
I want my speakers to be like a ubiquitous fog, or like H.Clinton said "a nothing-burger"!:oops:
I don't even want to see the wires: I simply want to enjoy the music, absent of the coiffeur making it more pretty...
... and more costly!

What gear are you specifically citing as an eyesore?

I sympathize with your desire to let the technology be invisible. That's essentially the goal I had for my home theater equipment. I didn't want to see the projector or even the speakers if possible, much less the wiring. And all my amp/source equipment, even for my two channel, is in a different room from the listening room.

Though I do differ in that I like certain pieces of audio gear aesthetically. Very few loudspeakers float my boat, but the ones I own were also chosen on aesthetics, and indeed I'm sure no small portion of the cost went to the design, and I find they do add to the overall pleasure of sitting down to listen to my system.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What gear are you specifically citing as an eyesore?
I meant no offense to anyone but we all really know it is a necessity we allow ourselves to live with << does not make them become not-eyesores.
In reality, the cost of 'exotic' (beautiful) cabinetry comes at an equally exotic price.
In some of the referenced speakers in this thread; the cabinetry HAS to be the largest expense...
I love beautiful furniture (Arts&Crafts and Mission styles) but I dislike the presence of my speakers occupying the same floor space.
It maybe a feng-shui thingy beyond WAF.
EDIT: I am so OCD about this subject that I have a 600lbs (mission-style) entertainment center with a liftTV mechanism to hide that other EYESORE most learn to live with (but no way to make "beautiful)...

Last edited:

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I dig the look of the Borressen 5's.View attachment 295454

I like the Borressen look as well.

However for me their sleek, reserved look starts breaking down once too many drivers are involved, like in those speakers you linked.

Wheres I find their smaller models more reserved:

https://nirvanasound.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/10/Borresen_01-600x600.jpg

https://www.lowbeats.de/site/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/Borresen-02-SSE_12.jpg

Last edited:

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I love beautiful furniture (Arts&Crafts and Mission styles) but I dislike the presence of my speaker occupying floor space.

Interesting. Why do you think it is you can appreciate fine craftsmanship in the case of one object (furniture) but not in the design of a loudspeaker? Especially with audio gear clearly being one of your passions since you are here on this forum. It almost seems like trying to understand a car enthusiast who doesn't care at all for how a car looks.

What speakers are you currently using?

Bleib

Major Contributor
Pretty nice Magico A5
Magico-A5.jpg

ocinn

1) A-For-Ara Synergy Horns are stunning IMO:

All of their work honestly looks incredible, Made by the founder of Etsy and his NASA engineer friends.

2) I always thought the Jamo Oriel was a really fantastic looking speaker esp considering the time:

JAMO%2BORIEL%2B1....jpg

Top Bottom