• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amir's 2023 Pacific Audio Fest Report Day 2

ocinn

Did they talk much about the baskets? I imagine they must be are FEA optimized and 3D printed.
Definitely Generative design, generated by AI algorithms and then trial and error FEA'd. I think most software can do it now, CATIA, Creo, NX, Fusion 360/Autodesk, as well as a plethora of independent standalone software solutions.

Used widely in the motorsports industry nowadays.

Puddingbuks

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

Travis

Ok, it appeared to me being more comments on the music and the recording quality than to the speakers.
The pour guy had no sleep. Besides, do you really want 400 posts about him not being able to hear what he thinks he heard because it was “sighted” :)

Last edited:

Travis

Maybe sometimes if you can't say something nice... I don't want to imply something that Amir wasn't implying but that's what I was thinking as I attempted to read between the lines.
Maybe the way to ask Amir is “what at this show did you hear that you thought warranted further investigation”?

Travis

That's it folks.....
Thank you. Obviously a lot of time an effort, and I ordered my reels, said I heard about them from this Forum/Amir.

AudioJester

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Amir, thank you for taking the time to thoroughly listen to the 8c's. I'm very pleased with your impressions of them!

I hope you'll allow me to briefly call attention to our new US distributor, Dutch & Dutch North America, because they really deserve it. Dutch & Dutch has been active in the US market since 2018, but since Bill Chi and Gabriel Jones (an ASR member) took over at the beginning of this year, brand awareness has increased significantly. After the AXPONA show a few months ago, the Seattle Pacific Audio Fest is only the second US hifi show Dutch & Dutch has ever attended. At both shows Bill and Gabe successfully put the 8c's in the corners of acoustically challenging small hotel rooms, and they garnered very positive responses from the press and the general public. I couldn't be happier with our new distribution :cool:.

Recently got to spend some time with your speakers at the Sydney hifi show. An even worse room, but still many of us considered one of the best sounds of the show.
Where every vendor complains abut the limitations of the room the 8c just gets the job done no matter what.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Did they talk much about the baskets? I imagine they must be are FEA optimized and 3D printed.
No. A very strange thing at this show was that exhibitors only played music. I did not hear once a company taking a moment talking about the system, what made it, etc. And with music playing, it felt rude to try to talk to exhibitors. The few times I did try, I got the eyes saying quiet from others in the room!

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Maybe the way to ask Amir is “what at this show did you hear that you thought warranted further investigation”?
If it were up to me, I would have wanted to test every one of those large speakers! :) Alas, that was not practical so I did not even try.

If you mean what caught my eye, I already mentioned D&D, Joseph audio and the planar magnetic speaker whose name I forgot.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The downside of including all that stuff inside the speaker being it might add significant cost to the product which all gets lost if the speakers fail, I suppose it's convenient though. Good idea about trying to get samples at these events.
True. I just liked the elegance of it in the context of a lifestyle speaker system.

Shiva

I believe it was watching an AVshowrooms vid, where I first took notice of the Borresen 05 speaker. I've always enjoyed the vids he puts out, as he soon finishes talking about what he is showing and just let them play.

Short38

Thank you Amirm! If I had been more diligent when I was employed, the D&Ds would be on their way to my modest room. But sadly I did not suck up enough so will make do with what I have.

great report Amir!
very much enjoying reading about the gear while listening to the music as mentioned!
and many thanks for the Qobuz playlist.
curious about the DD8C now……..made 30 km from where I live

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Thank you Amirm! If I had been more diligent when I was employed, the D&Ds would be on their way to my modest room. But sadly I did not suck up enough so will make do with what I have.
My pleasure. Company needs to make a smaller unit at half the price to make them more accessible.

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Chapman speakers
These are made in Seattle by one guy I believe. I used to listen to them at Audio Connection in Seattle every time I went to see John there. Loved them. Impressive dynamics.

Nicest decorated room at the show! :) They turned on the lights for me but otherwise, it was dark with just the candles lighting up the room. I am told the owner is into showcasing the gear this way.
Must be a spa owner! :)

Thank you Amir for the notes and the pictures! Always good to read about your impressions.

Labjr

Major Contributor
The open electronics is a prototype DAC from LTA:

That heavy USB cable is sure tugging on that interface!! Can't tell how it is still working.

The USB cable looks like a firehose. Probably cost 20-30x the price of that Amanero clone board? :D

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No. A very strange thing at this show was that exhibitors only played music. I did not hear once a company taking a moment talking about the system, what made it, etc. And with music playing, it felt rude to try to talk to exhibitors. The few times I did try, I got the eyes saying quiet from others in the room!
Are you sure they didn't see you and decided to crank up the music to prevent you from asking questions like measurements? Just sayin'.

Top Bottom