• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Prayers for Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raindog123

Major Contributor
I don't want to be a stick in the mud but that doesn't look promising. It appears you are really close to the center.

See post #88 :)

(What helps is that traveling over the land it loses power quickly… A hurricane-1 at the moment, will be a strong tropical storm by the time the eye gets to us… Fingers crossed.)

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Damn center of storm has been sitting right over our heads all night. Very heavy winds and rain. So far so good inside my little place here. Looks like this will finally pass over in about 2 more hours. Daylight will reveal how much damage the parks took.
Crazy but I've had power, internet, and cable all night.
I'll touch base again soon.

Andysu

Major Contributor
relative at fort lauderdale .
stay indoors wait it out , or seek high ground wait it out . 500 hundred miles wide incredible

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@AdamG247 asked that I post the following as he is without internet rn…

We are OK. Survived the night and a dark windy morning but the worst is gone. A long day of clean up ahead. South of us got demolished. May drive down as see if any thing we can do to help.

Last edited:

Martini

Forum Donor
A friend of mine lives in Venice (below Sarasota). Watching the radar it looks like they caught the outer eyewall band for some time. Luckily, it was pushing water out to sea, not in. However, they were in a swath that received around 18" of rain. He and his wife are are out of the state, for some family time, and fortunately battened everything down before leaving. Ian wasn't an issue when they left. I don't know if he's received any updates on his property yet, hopefully they fared well. They moved from the Keys a little after surviving Hurricane Irma, which devestated their neighboring Big Pine Key.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
All is OK here in Disneyworld. After all the wind howlin and rain that went on for hours I expected much worse outside today.
Much more damage was done from 2017 Irma with roofs torn off and skirting thrown all over the park. There are quite a few trees down etc but Thank God we're good.
Still saying prayer of others who've had it much worse.
cent' anni
Sal

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
All is OK here in Disneyworld. After all the wind howlin and rain that went on for hour I expected much worse outside today.
Much more damage was done from 2017 Irma with roofs torn off and skirting thrown all over the park. There are quite a few trees down etc but Thank God we're good.
Still saying prayer of other who've had it much worse.
cent' anni
Sal
Good to hear you are doing well! I've been wondering how things are for you peeps. It appears many are pretty lucky so far.

BlackTalon

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
So, if they were built right & not just to the code (a bare minimum requirement) of the time, an old house that has withstood the bad times, can be a good option.
Maybe, maybe not. My house was built in 1963. It has been through a handful of hurricanes, although only one since I bought it in 1998. The addition I had built 10 years ago has hurricane ties, sheathing panels for shear resistance, etc. that the original part of the house lacks. If a powerful enough storm came through I know what part of the house we will hole up in, and it's not the 1963 part.

BlackTalon

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
All is OK here in Disneyworld. After all the wind howlin and rain that went on for hours I expected much worse outside today.
Still saying prayer of others who've had it much worse.
cent' anni
Sal
Glad to hear. I haven't seen much on the areas further south; I imagine it not very good news.

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hoping all those affected are doing well and recover from any damage with the least amount of stress.

~ 45 miles north of where Harvey hit, I’m no stranger to that kind of weather.
My plan whenever these things are headed anywhere near or predicted to hit close, is to pack up things you can’t replace, protect your house best you can and head to higher ground inland somewhere.

Not much you can do if it hits your place and you’ll probably be without electricity for a week or two anyway. Nothing more miserable than that.

Most people I know that have decided to ride it out say they’ll never do that again.

Chris

Raindog123

Major Contributor
Glad to report we’re good too. Power got restored at about 0430 (so sat without the power for only 5 hours in the midst of the night). Still windy and rainy on-and-off. But the worst is definitely behind us... Our thoughts to the folks on the FL west coast!

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Glad to report we’re good too. Power got restored at about 0430 (so sat without the power for only 5 hours in the midst of the night). Still windy and rainy on-and-off. But the worst is definitely behind us... Our thoughts to the folks on the west coast!
Far out... :D Good for you! Seems a pretty lucky situation thus far for many peeps.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Far out... :D Good for you! Seems a pretty lucky situation thus far for many peeps.
Yes it is good news for most peeps on here.

I think the places that get really hammered are pretty small in area. Really bad for the people that live there though.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes it is good news for most peeps on here.

I think the places that get really hammered are pretty small in area. Really bad for the people that live there though.
So imagining it the tighter the inner core the faster the wind? It becomes a massive tornado that is huge compared the the more compact version.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
With hurricane/typhoons it's always the coastal areas that get hit first and hardest.
I've been thru 3 hurricanes in FL now but Typhoon Kate in 1970 Vietnam was just insane.
My Infantry unit was stationed on a mountaintop pulling perimeter security for a radio relay station from inside bunkers positioned all around it's top. We had one inch handline strung from building to building to hold as we went to messhall or latrine. Winds were incredible, it was definitely hazardous duty just going to take a dump. LOL

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
With hurricane/typhoons it's always the coastal areas that get hit first and hardest.
I've been thru 3 hurricanes in FL now but Typhoon Kate in 1970 Vietnam was just insane.
My Infantry unit was stationed on a mountaintop pulling perimeter security for a radio relay station from inside bunkers positioned all around it's top. We had one inch handline strung from building to building to hold as we went to messhall or latrine. Winds were incredible, it was definitely hazardous duty just going to take a dump. LOL
Thanks for that. I'm glad that Canada was there too in the terms of contributing. I saw that dood and I was like this is like skiing in blizzard time downhill...

Reactions: EJ3
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom