• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is Toole and Olive's Spinorama model incomplete and limited?

dominikz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
@Duke thanks for a thoughtful response!
Well if I came across like I was saying the existing research is "invalid", then I communicated poorly.
That part of my response was not aimed at you specifically but I failed to make that clear, sorry - it appears I was the one that communicated poorly! It was supposed to be a general comment on what I felt was implied in several posts in this thread.

Perhaps you and I view the research from different angles - I assume you're looking mainly at the preference scores and rankings, while I'm looking for clues about how to build a better loudspeaker. So you and I can look at the same study and arrive at VERY different conclusions! For instance, you cited a particular study as indicating that "the room has an insignificant effect on relative loudspeaker preference", and I get something very different from the SAME study.

In the study binaural recordings were made of each of the three loudspeakers in each of the four rooms so that listeners didn't need to actually be in the rooms. The three loudspeakers were SIMILAR to one another regarding directivity, so significantly different loudspeaker topologies were NOT being compared. When listeners were comparing speakers recorded in a given room, their loudspeaker preference rankings were consistent from room to room. BUT when the different rooms were randomly mixed into the evaluations (easy to do with binaural recordings), the ROOM is what dominated preference!

If I'm not mistaken, in both experiments all loudspeakers and all rooms were evaluated, it is just the context that was changed - in one case the experiment is designed so that the loudspeakers are compared and rooms kept constant per trial (this is the one where room-insensitivity of loudspeaker evaluations is suggested), and in the other the rooms are compared and loudspeakers kept constant per trial (this is where loudspeaker-insensitivity of room evaluations is suggested). The first experiment was done both live and with binaural recordings, while the second one was only done (and only practical) with binaural recordings.

So, what is the contribution of "the room"? It is the reflections - their arrival times, arrival directions, net power contribution, spectral content, and decay characteristics. Obvously THOSE THINGS (or at least SOME of them) matter enormously as far as preference goes, because when the four different rooms were included in the evaluations, THE ROOM, not THE SPEAKER, is what dominated preference. Or to put a finer point on it, it was the LOUDSPEAKER/ROOM INTERACTION which dominated preference when the room was one of the variables.
Of course, and I fully agree that people will prefer some rooms to others when listening to the same set of loudspeakers in each. But in my mind this is a separate question compared to whether relative loudspeaker preference evaluations are impacted by the room being used, all else being the same.

So here is my take-away from that study, peering through my "looking for clues" lens: I see a theoretical "window of opportunity" IF we can figure out a way to get a loudspeaker to interact with whatever room it's in MORE LIKE the interaction which takes place in a really "good" room. In other words if we can transplant some of the most desirable loudspeaker/room interaction characteristics into an ordinary room, we probably will have made a worthwhile improvement.
That indeed sounds like a worthy design objective! Unless I'm mistaken similar motivation was behind at least some of the NRC and Harman research.

Now let's return to the Harman Shuffler room: Presumably this is a VERY GOOD room, and presumably that LONG time delay before the sidewall reflections arrive tends towards REVEALING a speaker's qualities (otherwise they would have shuffled the speakers up against a side wall). Looking again through my little lens, I'm getting a clearer picture of what the aforementioned "window of opportunity" might look like: It might look like a speaker whose radiation pattern minimizes early sidewall reflections when used in stereo in a "normal" listening room!

But if I were to design such a speaker and sneak it into the Harman Shuffler room, I would not expect it to score well. It would have been deliberately optimized for a very different acoustic environment, and its loudspeaker/room interaction targets would probably NOT be compatible with its placement in the Shuffler room.
On a related note - I believe I remember reading that they also use(d) the same room for stereo blind evaluations (in which the side walls would be much closer to each loudspeaker), with similar results to the mono evaluations.
However I do see your intention - though I have to admit that personally I probably wouldn't make the same inference.

Duke

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
@dominikz, thank you for having this discussion with me. I think we have avoided getting into a squabble despite disagreeing, which in and of itself is something of an accomplishment. But beyond that you have challenged my thinking (in a good way!) and I appreciate that.

If I'm not mistaken, in both experiments all loudspeakers and all rooms were evaluated, it is just the context that was changed - in one case the experiment is designed so that the loudspeakers are compared and rooms kept constant per trial (this is the one where room-insensitivity of loudspeaker evaluations is suggested), and in the other the rooms are compared and loudspeakers kept constant per trial (this is where loudspeaker-insensitivity of room evaluations is suggested). The first experiment was done both live and with binaural recordings, while the second one was only done (and only practical) with binaural recordings.

Yes this is my understanding too. My impression is that listening in the actual room was done mainly to confirm the validity of using the binaural recordings for evaluations.

Of course, and I fully agree that people will prefer some rooms to others when listening to the same set of loudspeakers in each. But in my mind this is a separate question compared to whether relative loudspeaker preference evaluations are impacted by the room being used, all else being the same.

I understand that the paradigm of "the room doesn't change speaker preference rankings" has a very strong following here on ASR, but imo this study does not justify that conclusion because it did not evaluate a sufficient variety of speakers types (the evaluation did not include ANY variety at all in that regard!). In order for "the room doesn't change speaker preference rankings" to be a generally applicable principle, we would need a study which includes competent representation from a wide variety of loudspeaker types as well as a wide variety of room acoustic situations. (Note that in this context "the room" includes "how the speakers are positioned within the room", which is another arguably significant variable.) That study will never happen unless it can be done in the virtual domain because it would be prohibitively expensive, and it may still never happen because the two-channel stereo market is shrinking.

(What the available research DOES reliably demonstrate includes these basic principles: The first-arrival sound is the most important; the spectral balance of the reflections matters a great deal; the arrival times and intensities of the earliest reflections matter a great deal, the earliest in-room reflections involve tradeoffs between clarity and spaciousness; the arrival directions, particularly of the earliest reflections, matter; the in-room reflection field should be neither too strong nor too weak, and should decay evenly across the spectrum and neither too fast nor too slow; and the bass region modal behavior generally improves as room size increases.)

My paradigm is "a speaker should get two things right: the direct sound, and the reflected sound." And the reflected sound is dominated by the room interaction.

So here's a reasonably common real-world situation: Suppose a person is limited to placing speakers up against a wall. Would a speaker deliberately and competently designed for up-against-the-wall placement, but which did not score well when positioned out in the middle of the Harman Shuffler room, be a possible contender? If our paradigm is "the room doesn't change speaker preference rankings", we would dismiss the wall-placement-optimized speaker because it has already failed to score well in a room. If our paradigm is "a speaker must get two things right: the direct sound and the reflected sound, the latter being dominated by room interaction", then we would consider a competently-designed wall-placement-optimized speaker.

That indeed sounds like a worthy design objective! Unless I'm mistaken similar motivation was behind at least some of the NRC and Harman research.

Arguably the most all-out assault on "transplanting some of the most desirable loudspeaker/room interaction characteristics into an ordinary room" was the Acoustic Research MGC-1 "Magic" loudspeaker of yesteryear. It failed in the marketplace, but imo for reasons unrelated to its basic concept (for one thing, it was too expensive for the performance it offered).

On a related note - I believe I remember reading that they also use(d) the same room for stereo blind evaluations (in which the side walls would be much closer to each loudspeaker), with similar results to the mono evaluations.

I agree that mono listening is better for evaluating loudspeaker sound quality (and have been using mono listening for that purpose in my speaker design efforts for about forty years), but I do not agree that mono listening is better for evaluating loudspeaker spatial quality.

And according to a study done by Wolfgang Klippel (yes, THAT Wolfgang Klippel!) and cited by Floyd Toole starting on Page 185 of the 3rd edition of his book, sound quality and the "sense of space" both contribute equally to the perception of "naturalness", while the "sense of space" slightly dominates the perception of "pleasantness".

By way of example, consider the Polk Audio Stereo Dimensional Array (SDA) speakers, whose extraordinary spatial characteristics only exist in stereo operation. Imo the "rules of the game" should not be applied in a way that works against even ONE outlier speaker which advances some important aspect the art in a worthwhile way. If our priority is exceptional results, we should be inclusive towards exceptional solutions.

However I do see your intention - though I have to admit that personally I probably wouldn't make the same inference.

Thank you.

Last edited:

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It wrote in the conclusion... Easily altered to hemi anechoic to typical domestic room...

What is a typical domestic room? A kitchen, living room, bed room...

For a multichannel listening room ("home theater") --- kitchen? Unlikely. Bedroom? Unlikely. Living room, yeah. Or a dedicated room.

Let's quote the conclusion:

The listening room itself is capable of testing up to three different 5.1 or 7.1 channel systems and accommodate 1-6 listeners at a time. The measurements we have shown in this paper indicate its performance in its current form meets the very highest standards set out by the ITU and EBU recommendations, in terms of volume, geometry, reverberation time, and the control of early reflections. The acoustics of the room can be easily altered from hemi-anechoic to more typical domestic room conditions by adding reflective panels to the room’s boundaries.

seems pretty reasonable and useful to me.

I'd advise all the 'minority opinions' to also take a look at Floyd Toole's home setup.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
CEA 2034-A-2015 is about tonality, it misses things like compression. But it's a good start. You can complain about the room all you want, but measurements have shown that the estimated in-room response is pretty darn accurate.

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In the bass frequencies, the room is all. Mode, decay, standing wave.

uh huh. And Harman (Olive, Toole) advocate controlling those. Not by choice of front left/right speaker design philosophy, but by physical room treatment, bass management + subwoofers placement, electronic 'room EQ'....

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In a stereo system , the phantom sound image illusion is created by the brain only when using two stereo loudspeakers. This fact is in my opinion the biggest flaw with Dr. Tooles and Olives spinorama. Their statement is - mono is good enough to make conclusions about the sound of a loudspeaker. This is also true, I believe,- If we are talking about only one loudspeaker.
Dr. Toole stipulates that the stereo system is seriously flawed, and he is also correct about that.

But….You most often dont listen to mono with only one speaker, you always have two speakers to make the stereo illusion real for the brain. The spinorama dont care about this fact.

There is much more investigations to be needed about phantom images when using two loudspeakers in stereo - in my opinion.

Dr.Toole and Olive has done a great job of what makes a loudspeaker sound good - at least in mono, and maybe also in a multichannel homecinema setup.

oh god, not this again. :rolleyes:

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hmm my amateur takeaway from this “the room does not change speaker preference rating” thing is that this can be more true when the speaker is designed for it !! Following the design principles described in the research ? So it’s a bit circular?

So it can be a truth that emerges in the data , but it can also be made “more true” by design ?

Anecdotaly older speakers can be a bit hit and miss . The design paradigms of old can yield varied and unpredictable results ? I’ve tried Martin Logan’s and friend had ML’s and acustats and the big Polk RTA’s .

My personal opinion is that panel speakers are fascinating but in the end a dead end , it’s in the end an euphonic effect to me ? Does anything really sounds like that ?

It’s seems to me like the research disfavour panels and electrostatics , but for valid reasons ? In the end most of us would prefer “normal” speakers, even if some would diverge .

Here’s the thing with the law of big numbers even if it’s statistically so that the preference ratings are valid for the average of a large group . Models like this cannot be applied for the individual outcome and are not meant to do that , that’s not what they for.

dominikz

Forum Donor
@dominikz, thank you for having this discussion with me. I think we have avoided getting into a squabble despite disagreeing, which in and of itself is something of an accomplishment.
IME one often learns more from disagreements with (reasonable) people than one can from talking to those sharing the same opinion. I try to view it as a chance to attain a new viewpoint on a topic. :)
But beyond that you have challenged my thinking (in a good way!) and I appreciate that.
Likewise!
So here's a reasonably common real-world situation: Suppose a person is limited to placing speakers up against a wall. Would a speaker deliberately and competently designed for up-against-the-wall placement, but which did not score well when positioned out in the middle of the Harman Shuffler room, be a possible contender? If our paradigm is "the room doesn't change speaker preference rankings", we would dismiss the wall-placement-optimized speaker because it has already failed to score well in a room. If our paradigm is "a speaker must get two things right: the direct sound and the reflected sound, the latter being dominated by room interaction", then we would consider a competently-designed wall-placement-optimized speaker.
This is a great argument - indeed we expect loudspeakers designed for on-wall or in-wall placement to be evaluated in a different way than those designed to be used free-standing in a room.
There may indeed be no simple way to design a controlled listening test including e.g. an in-wall and a free-standing loudspeaker because they require different placements in the room, which results in different room interactions - resulting in an apples to oranges comparison.
Perhaps building temporary baffles to allow placing the different types of loudspeakers at the same in-room locations and making binaural recordings might be a way to facilitate such tests... A nice thought experiment anyway! :)
I agree that mono listening is better for evaluating loudspeaker sound quality (and have been using mono listening for that purpose in my speaker design efforts for about forty years), but I do not agree that mono listening is better for evaluating loudspeaker spatial quality.
For informal comparisons I might agree, but as a general rule I have reservations. In my experience the quality of the spatial effect is mainly controlled by the recording (via e.g. L-R panning, reverb, and various other spatial effects) and can to some extent be influenced by the loudspeaker FR as well as interaction between the loudspeaker dispersion pattern, its placement in the room and the room itself.
Keeping the room, placement and recording constant, we're left with the loudspeaker FR and dispersion pattern. Modifying either of these characteristics results in audible differences even in mono evaluations - so the question could be posed whether preference of a certain FR and dispersion characteristic in mono *always* translates to subjectively preferred spatial quality in stereo.
It seems to be a commonly raised question on this forum, which is understandable since the often quoted research addressing this seems to be based on a limited sample of loudspeakers and a small sample of listeners.
My limited and largely subjective experience seems to track well with the published research however.
Imo the "rules of the game" should not be applied in a way that works against even ONE outlier speaker which advances some important aspect the art in a worthwhile way. If our priority is exceptional results, we should be inclusive towards exceptional solutions.
In principle I agree. Just to add that given the multitude of possible implementations I'd expect that specific experiments would often need to be designed to accommodate fair and controlled comparisons between traditional and outlier solutions. The issue is unfortunately that such research is unlikely to happen. :confused:
Without appropriate research outlier solutions are a risk that may not work as well as advertised - which is IMHO worth stating!

Duke

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Thank you @dominikz for your thorough and thoughtful response.

Regarding spatial quality, let me toss out a hopefully relevant idea:

In the playback room there is in effect a "competition" between two sets of spatial cues: The venue spatial cues on the recording (whether they be real or engineered or both), and the "small room signature" cues of the playback room. The ear/brain system tends to accept whichever set of cues is the most plausible. So when the playback room's cues dominate our perception we have what could be called a "they are here" presentation, wherein the perceived acoustic space is usually a bit larger than the playback room, "how much larger" being strongly influenced by how far away from the walls the speakers are.

The imo more desirable situation is what could be called a "you are there" presentation, wherein we can close our eyes and have the strong sense of being immersed in the acoustic space of the venue on the recording. In order for the recording venue cues to dominate, the playback room's cues must be minimized and/or the recording's venue cues must be very effectively presented, and obviously the recording itself matters. There are multiple approaches which can be used to achieve a "you are there" presentation, and "how to" is beyond the scope of this post, but some speakers do it better than others. There is a "tipping point" where the presentation transitions from "they are here" to "you are there", which is the point at which the venue cues on the recording become more plausible to the ear than the small-room-signature cues inherent to the playback room, and whether or not the sound field created by speakers + room falls on this or that side of the tipping point matters. Now here comes the punch line:

We cannot hear and therefore cannot reliably evaluate "you are there" in mono.

Perception of "you are there" requires the interaural phase differences and other decorrelated information that stereo presents. Mono cannot mimic stereo in this regard, so mono is very unlikely to ever reach that "tipping point".

If we aspire to a really good "they are here" presentation, then mono evaluation may be adequate. If we aspire to a really good "you are there" presentation, then imo mono evaluation is inadequate.

Last edited:

Kvalsvoll

Audio Company
Many good contributions to the discourse here.

Taking a step back, looking into what is missing in all technical measurements and specifications for speakers, is a metric for sound character, a metric that can be understood by someone who is more-than-average interested in speakers and hifi, but does not require a degree in electroacoustics.

What I mean with the term sound character is how the presentation of the sound is perceived, for spatial-holographic-rendering and transient behavior ("dynamics"). This also affects tonality, but tonal coloration in itself is mostly covered by frequency response and off-axis/radiation pattern smoothness.

One speaker may give a presentation that is very smooth and pleasant, and have a 3D rendering that extend very good in all directions, also in depth, where objects appear distributed over a larger, 3D landscape. Let's say this speaker also tends to smooth transients a bit, and though images are distributed and the scene is large, each image is also sort of blurred.

Another speaker may present transients that scare you even at low volume, and it has this sharp, very defined sound, with images more sharply defined. But everything is rendered like on a flat canvas up front.

Here, it is obvious that regardless of which you choose, there is a compromise. And it would be useful to have this information, when deciding which speaker to try. Because if I know I like baroque ensembles with acoustic instruments played softly, nicely rendered in a 3D landscape, then I should spend time and effort trying out that first speaker, which creates this sort of sound.

dominikz

Forum Donor

In the playback room there is in effect a "competition" between two sets of spatial cues: The venue spatial cues on the recording (whether they be real or engineered or both), and the "small room signature" cues of the playback room. The ear/brain system tends to accept whichever set of cues is the most plausible. So when the playback room's cues dominate our perception we have what could be called a "they are here" presentation, wherein the perceived acoustic space is usually a bit larger than the playback room, "how much larger" being strongly influenced by how far away from the walls the speakers are.

The imo more desirable situation is what could be called a "you are there" presentation, wherein we can close our eyes and have the strong sense of being immersed in the acoustic space of the venue on the recording. In order for the recording venue cues to dominate, the playback room's cues must be minimized and/or the recording's venue cues must be very effectively presented, and obviously the recording itself matters. There are multiple approaches which can be used to achieve a "you are there" presentation, and "how to" is beyond the scope of this post, but some speakers do it better than others. There is a "tipping point" where the presentation transitions from "they are here" to "you are there", which is the point at which the venue cues on the recording become more plausible to the ear than the small-room-signature cues inherent to the playback room, and whether or not the sound field created by speakers + room falls on this or that side of the tipping point matters. Now here comes the punch line:

Perception of "you are there" requires the interaural phase differences and other decorrelated information that stereo presents. Mono cannot mimic stereo in this regard, so mono is very unlikely to ever reach that "tipping point".

If we aspire to a really good "they are here" presentation, then mono evaluation may be adequate. If we aspire to a really good "you are there" presentation, then imo mono evaluation is inadequate.
Thanks, it is an interesting take!
On a closely related topic, may I also refer to a post I wrote a while ago on what I see as some of the main spatial limitations of stereo - i.e. why I feel it might be difficult to achieve a convincing "you are there" presentation with stereo only.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

In most cases I rely on ”them” coming to my home. Some recordings work well for Atmos/surround so once in a while I manage to actually go there instead. :)

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Question: If you take a human voice singing live in a virtual room about 2-3 metres behind your front wall, how would the dispersion vs freqeuncy from that voice look like in your room? Wide up to 8 kHz?

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
In most cases I rely on ”them” coming to my home. Some recordings work well for Atmos/surround so once in a while I manage to actually go there instead.
I am the opposite. None of the music I listen to (well, maybe some but less than 5%) could be tolerated if performed with ”them” coming to my home. The only useful strategy for this music is to try for a "you are there" presentation. Perhaps that is why I embraced multichannel as it is much more capable of this than is 2-channel stereo.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I am the opposite. None of the music I listen to (well, maybe some but less than 5%) could be tolerated if performed with ”them” coming to my home. The only useful strategy for this music is to try for a "you are there" presentation. Perhaps that is why I embraced multichannel as it is much more capable of this than is 2-channel stereo.
A logical strategy, given your implied preference for big music and/or (perhaps?) character-laden venues (e.g., stone cathedrals).

I am reminded of noted audiophiles Calvin and Hobbes (of course). :)

0b76c42664e26faea161e520b59e7c2f.jpg

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Interesting, but I think choice of music or type of recordings is one main divider. I don’t have any percentage what I prefer but perhaps my introvert personality keeps me at home more than I should. :)

And thinking about it, three- channel audio should have been the standard when stereo came.

Last edited:

Duke

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Thanks, it is an interesting take!
On a closely related topic, may I also refer to a post I wrote a while ago on what I see as some of the main spatial limitations of stereo - i.e. why I feel it might be difficult to achieve a convincing "you are there" presentation with stereo only.

Thanks for the link to your post. I need to read that Hughes paper.

In your linked post you wrote:

"Since 2ch stereo can only encode and reproduce sounds coming from the two speakers in front of the listener, it cannot faithfully replicate any real acoustical space in the recording - regardless how well recorded the content.
The above also implies that reflections/reverb from a 2ch stereo recording is actually reproduced more similar to (another) direct sound - all of it emanating from the front, and then following the same reflection pattern as the direct sound. Therefore I personally doubt human hearing could perceive any 2ch stereo recording as enveloping as listening to an actual sound event in the original acoustical space - regardless of e.g. loudspeaker quality or room treatment."

I agree with your doubting that "human hearing could perceive any 2ch stereo recording as enveloping as listening to an actual sound event in the original acoustical space - regardless of e.g. loudspeaker quality or room treatment." So what I'm talking about is creating an illusion which is sufficiently convincing to be accepted by the ear/brain system.

And sounds arriving ONLY from the direction of the two loudspeakers in front of the listener cannot faithfully replicate any real acoustic space, nor a convincing illusion thereof. BUT the secret weapon of two-channel is the in-room reflections, which (assuming they are spectrally-correct) function as "carriers" for the reverberation tails on the recording, and which can enable the illusion of envelopment by delivering these reverberation tails from many different directions.

My understanding is that the ear/brain system judges the size of the room primarily by three things: The first reflections; the temporal "center-of-gravity" of the reflections; and the reverberation tails. We can disrupt the small-room signature cues of the playback room by delaying the arrival times of the first reflections and pushing the temporal "center of gravity" of the reflections back in time a bit, and we can take steps to promote the effective delivery of the recording's reverberation tails, with the in-room reflections acting as "carriers". The margin of victory over the "small-room signature" package of cues need not be large! It need only be enough to cross the "tipping point" threshold in order to achieve a "you are there" presentation.

None of the music I listen to (well, maybe some but less than 5%) could be tolerated if performed with ”them” coming to my home. The only useful strategy for this music is to try for a "you are there" presentation. Perhaps that is why I embraced multichannel as it is much more capable of this than is 2-channel stereo.

And yet I can't resist trying to get just a little bit more sense of immersion out of just two speakers (and without trading off clarity). Sometimes I feel like an aerospace company that is determined to design the world's best piston-engined fighter: My success or failure is no longer relevant.

Last edited:

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
And yet I can't resist trying to get just a little bit more sense of immersion out of just two speakers (and without trading off clarity). Sometimes I feel like an aerospace company that is determined to design the world's best piston-engined fighter: My success or failure is no longer relevant.
I don't think it is irrelevant, yet. Until/unless something like Atmos has sufficient impact and market penetration to supplant stereo as the common medium for music listeners (as stereo supplanted mono), the further improvement of stereo remains quite relevant.

Duke

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
I don't think it is irrelevant, yet. Until/unless something like Atmos has sufficient impact and market penetration to supplant stereo as the common medium for music listeners (as stereo supplanted mono), the further improvement of stereo remains quite relevant.

Thanks for the encouragement! I have two questions:

1. I presume the Atmos channels can be up-mixed from conventional two-channel stereo... how well does that work, in your opinion?

2. Are you planning to attend the Capital Audio Fest this November?