• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Zu Audio - What is Going On?

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
No Sal, you´re limited edition. Passing seven decades, loathes vynil, despises tubes, embraces streaming and digital, loves multichannel, likes a flat response... At some point you´ll just drop that you also like Death Metal and I´ll now know if you´re trolling me or you´re an absolute rarity. :p
Nope. There are, probably, more of us than you think. :cool:

bloodshoteyed

Major Contributor
Nope. There are, probably, more of us than you think. :cool:

so, which one of you is carrying the suitcase full of drugs? :eek:

because Vacceo's description almost sounded like the final monologue from Fear & loathing in LV...

bevok

Discussion of the DWX from John Darko and Srajan Ebaen :
https://soundcloud.com/johnhdarko%2Fjohn-srajan-review-the-zu-dwx
I'm still learning but a 10" full range driver (tweeter kicks in around 12k) sounds like it would struggle with distortion once it hit the midrange? Ironically I was just listening to the "Audio Unleashed" podcast prior who were discussing speakers with very basic crossovers and the problems they create, this one takes it to another level!

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Not necessarily distortion, but dispersion is a problem with large extended range drivers. E.g., the 15 inch EV "Wolverine" LS-15, with huge whizzers, doesn't really "do" treble very well in a reasonably sized room -- especially compared to their smaller cousins (LS-12 and LS-8) -- smaller drivers with smaller whizzers and essentially (AFAIK) the same 2" edgewound voice coils.

LS-15

LS-8 (eight inch "fullrange")

Zu Audio is one of those speakers for people with hearing broken beyond hope (I'm not talking natural or gradual hearing loss, I'm talking an audiogram that shows an almost random response)

It's good that such designs exist.

Ze Frog

Addicted to Fun and Learning
A brand based upon the cult following. I remember watching a Steve Gutenberg video where he had the creator of a Zu speaker on and it was something like $20,000 or something silly. You could see the creator was a bit shifty during video like a crook getting questioned, was quite funny to watch. As usual, Steve channeled his inner salesman and proceeded to wax lyrical, as per. The incredible thing is the guy even starts almost chuckling to himself as he peddles a lot of this stuff. Don't get me wrong, he's a great salesman, but a reviewer he certainly is not.

Top Bottom