• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Zorloo Ztella MQA Phone Headphone Adapter Review

staticV3

Master Contributor
Just want to throw my two cents in on the Ztella. I purchased the non-MQA version. I bought it because it's one of the few DACs that will accept mic/remote input. It sounds great, but I'm sending it back because the microphone input is completely useless. There's barely any signal when used with any of the mics I have. I even tried a powered shotgun mic, that I'd use on my camera. With the +10dB gain enabled on that, it was still very low when I was speaking normally, and had the end of the mic right up to my mouth.
Zorloo's response, after a couple of emails, was "We are sorry that the mic input volume may be a bit low and is the limitation of the chip design. It can only addressed by future silicon update from our supplier."

Because the mic input is essentially useless, I am considering the device faulty. I'll update here if I have any issues with the return. I think I'll try the Meizu DAC instead, as it seems to be even better quality, and is cheaper.

(Apologies for bumping this thread, please let me know if it should have been its own post!)
You might be interested to know that the Meizu Pro has a fantastic ADC inside. It provides 2.7V of phantom power and has a surprisingly clean noise floor. I can test the regular Meizu dongle too, if you'd like.

Ziginox

You might be interested to know that the Meizu Pro has a fantastic ADC inside. It provides 2.7V of phantom power and has a surprisingly clean noise floor. I can test the regular Meizu dongle too, if you'd like.
That's what I like to hear! Yeah, I kinda wondered if the Ztella just wasn't delivering power for an electret mic, a subject which I had coincidentally just learned about yesterday! That's why I ended up trying with the shotgun mic, with its battery-powered preamp. I would appreciate a test of the regular Meizu. I've been told it uses the same components, with the difference being in the addition of a braided shield for the cable. Is there more than that? Looks like the Pro isn't available anywhere right now, sadly.

Hiilari

Just want to throw my two cents in on the Ztella. I purchased the non-MQA version. I bought it because it's one of the few DACs that will accept mic/remote input. It sounds great, but I'm sending it back because the microphone input is completely useless. There's barely any signal when used with any of the mics I have. I even tried a powered shotgun mic, that I'd use on my camera. With the +10dB gain enabled on that, it was still very low when I was speaking normally, and had the end of the mic right up to my mouth.
Zorloo's response, after a couple of emails, was "We are sorry that the mic input volume may be a bit low and is the limitation of the chip design. It can only addressed by future silicon update from our supplier."

Because the mic input is essentially useless, I am considering the device faulty. I'll update here if I have any issues with the return. I think I'll try the Meizu DAC instead, as it seems to be even better quality, and is cheaper.

(Apologies for bumping this thread, please let me know if it should have been its own post!)

I didn't know it was even possible to send mic signal to the device via the USB-C port... But you're right: according to Zorloo webpage this should indeed work, meaning this tiny chip sould do both DA and AD conversions!

I tried your scenario and found the same: there is audio but it's super quiet and crappy. Seems your unit is not faulty but Ztella simply doesn't do this properly.

Meanwhile, I've been using Zorloo as a headset on Windows by getting audio out via USB and Zorloo to HiFimans, then attaching an antlion to the headphone and plugging them into laptop's headset socket via an adapter. A bit of cable spaghetti but works fine in both directions. Antlion is also the best mic I have for calls and Teams meetings.

Ziginox

I tried your scenario and found the same: there is audio but it's super quite and crappy. You seems your unit is not faulty but Ztella simply doesn't do this properly at all.

Meanwhile, I've been using Zorloo as a headset on Windows by getting audio out via USB and Zorloo to HiFimans, then attaching an antlion to the headphone and plugging them into laptop's headset socket via an adapter. A bit of cable spaghetti but works fine in both directions. Antlion is also the best mic I have for calls and Teams meetings.

Oh yes, for sure it's a design flaw. I'm just of the opinion that, since the feature doesn't work as advertised, it's faulty. Currently, I'm using a boom mic made specifically for my type of headphones, and an adapter to split the TRRS into separate headphone/mic plugs for my generic logitech headphone adapter. I wanted to step up the quality a bit, and since I use the mic frequently, I figured a dongle with the same TRRS combined stereo and mic plug jack would be perfect.
The mic is kinda neat, it replaces the cable on my HD 599s, and the boom is attached to the bit that slots into the headphones.
https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Boom-Microphone-Playstation-Controller/dp/B07W1G95PH/
Oh, and for what it's worth, most of the smartphone "headphone adapters" that have active circuitry in them do have an ADC for the mic, you just don't frequently see devices sold as hifi DACs with the feature. The only ones I've really been able to find are the Ztella, the Meizu one mentioned above, and the Hidizs Sonata

Ziginox

So, an update on the story. I asked Zorloo about a return/refund, and they said I'd need to ship it back (on my own dime, around $17 for a miniscule padded envelope) to them, in HK. I sent an email asking if they would pay the postage, as in my eyes it's a faulty product, on the 15th. Didn't hear from them, so on the 20th I opened a case with Paypal. After that, Zorloo agreed to refund the full price. Pretty disappointed in the whole ordeal, I don't really like to get all Karen-like, but they essentially falsely advertised their product, and gave no offer for resolution in their correspondence. Thumbs down, I'm going with the Meizu instead.

IVX

Major Contributor
South of China, SHZ area, - Слава Україні
Ziginox, actually, it is normal practice, you don't like the stuff, send it back to the store, doesn't matter online or offline store. If the store on the same street you don't ask them to pay for you going there, to return the product back, right? BTW, I see on taobao ES9280 based DACs just for $19, it looks like DIY set for assembling, but due to ES9280 is the single-chip solution, I'm sure the specs and the PCB are the same as Zurlo $100. In other words you can simply buy the new one for that money you need to send the defective DAC to HK.
https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?sp...5Vfell&id=634101489300&ns=1&abbucket=5#detail
and $37 for the same on aliexpress:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...02_,searchweb201603_&sku_id=12000018107184629

Ziginox

Ziginox, actually, it is normal practice, you don't like the stuff, send it back to the store, doesn't matter online or offline store. If the store on the same street you don't ask them to pay for you going there, to return the product back, right?
It was less a matter of not liking the product, and more that I purchased it based on a falsely advertised feature. I suppose I'm used to eBay/Amazon, who require the seller pay for return costs in this case.

damascato79

Hey guys, do you know a way to get Hugh res audio to the Ztella from an Android phone!? Seems like the USBc in Android can’t provide but perfect...

there is one app who plays a workaround but you can’t used downloaded tidal music...

let me know pls!

Tks

Major Contributor
Hey guys, do you know a way to get Hugh res audio to the Ztella from an Android phone!? Seems like the USBc in Android can’t provide but perfect...

there is one app who plays a workaround but you can’t used downloaded tidal music...

let me know pls!

If UAPP nor Neutron do it for you, you're out of luck I'd say.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Hiby can do direct USB access as well, but only with local files.

damascato79

Hiby can do direct USB access as well, but only with local files.

haven’t tried that one yet. My problem is that I would like to use Tidal’ locally downloaded files, which is the main purpose to use an android phone as dac

damascato79

What I can’t understand is how there are so many portable DAC dongles natively with USBc... so designed with Android in mind... and Android doesn’t technically support them.

this drives me mad

Tks

Major Contributor
What I can’t understand is how there are so many portable DAC dongles natively with USBc... so designed with Android in mind... and Android doesn’t technically support them.

this drives me mad

It's a Google thing. Finesse at the peripheries of design consideration aren't their strong suit.

lordhumungous

So, an update on the story. I asked Zorloo about a return/refund, and they said I'd need to ship it back (on my own dime, around $17 for a miniscule padded envelope) to them, in HK. I sent an email asking if they would pay the postage, as in my eyes it's a faulty product, on the 15th. Didn't hear from them, so on the 20th I opened a case with Paypal. After that, Zorloo agreed to refund the full price. Pretty disappointed in the whole ordeal, I don't really like to get all Karen-like, but they essentially falsely advertised their product, and gave no offer for resolution in their correspondence. Thumbs down, I'm going with the Meizu instead.
All over 17 friggin dollars! That would make me hesitate to buy from them.

Wol-shiver

Hello friends,

First time poster. Thank you all for your input and thank you Amir for all these tests.

I am a fledgling digital hi res listener in the headphone and aux space. I typically listen to tidal through my amp, no mqa. After learni g of Bluetooth short comings, well, I ended up here!

I have put together two new setups, one for my car, and one for both my wired JBL live 500bt headphones and my Yamaha rxa2070 amplifier.

Setup 1 is my lg g7 one direct to my headset or amp with skw 3.5mm cable or skw 3.5mm to rca to amp.

Setup 2 for the car is is a cheap Amazon DAC to my pixel 5 to cars aux.

Both use UAPP as mqa renderer.

Outside of the additional unfold I can get from the Ztella with UAPP first unfolded within renderer, what DAC is better ? The G7 or the Stella?

Thank you.

Music1969

Major Contributor
Just picked up one of these for cheap on eBay. I noticed previous owner hadn't installed latest firmware so that's first thing I did.

Very impressive.

I have 10 band PEQ setup with my Focal Elegia using oratory1990 EQ.

These are quite easy headphones to drive which makes a good match.

Comparing to my RME ADI-2, difference is small. With more challenging headphones the difference is probably more obvious.

I also don't listen loud, so that would be a factor.

If I pushed loud, the differences probably become more obvious too.

Music1969

Major Contributor
I can predict with almost 100% accuracy that this level of power provides a very satisfying experience.

This is accurate.

I have one and RME ADI-2 directly next to it on my desk here.

My Focal Elegia are very easy to drive (high sensitivity) so this would be a key factor but very satisfying indeed.

Strato007

Hello friends,

First time poster. Thank you all for your input and thank you Amir for all these tests.

I am a fledgling digital hi res listener in the headphone and aux space. I typically listen to tidal through my amp, no mqa. After learni g of Bluetooth short comings, well, I ended up here!

I have put together two new setups, one for my car, and one for both my wired JBL live 500bt headphones and my Yamaha rxa2070 amplifier.

Setup 1 is my lg g7 one direct to my headset or amp with skw 3.5mm cable or skw 3.5mm to rca to amp.

Setup 2 for the car is is a cheap Amazon DAC to my pixel 5 to cars aux.

Both use UAPP as mqa renderer.

Outside of the additional unfold I can get from the Ztella with UAPP first unfolded within renderer, what DAC is better ? The G7 or the Stella?

Thank you.
I would say LG G7

Top Bottom