• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Zoom F6 Portable Field Recorder Review

noise

Does anyone know if the Zoom F3 would perform better than the F6? I am thinking about getting a new recorder for line-in recording from a mixer and the 32-bit float recording feature seems like it would help with reducing the chance of clipping since I can't constantly monitor the recorder during a jam session. I currently use a Sony PCM-M10 with the limiter on and unfortunately it does not record a back up copy at a lower level or use dual ADCs to prevent clipping.

voltronic

Does anyone know if the Zoom F3 would perform better than the F6? I am thinking about getting a new recorder for line-in recording from a mixer and the 32-bit float recording feature seems like it would help with reducing the chance of clipping since I can't constantly monitor the recorder during a jam session. I currently use a Sony PCM-M10 with the limiter on and unfortunately it does not record a back up copy at a lower level or use dual ADCs to prevent clipping.
The F6 offered this kind of recording long before the F3 came out. Having used both, the F6 is the better unit all around, more channels, features, etc. The thing about the F3 is that it ONLY records in 32-bit float format. As a replacement for your M10 I think it would be a good choice.

I would be careful taking a line-out from a mixer either way. A balanced out is going to put out too hot a level for the consumer-level line inputs on these recorders.

noise

The F6 offered this kind of recording long before the F3 came out. Having used both, the F6 is the better unit all around, more channels, features, etc. The thing about the F3 is that it ONLY records in 32-bit float format. As a replacement for your M10 I think it would be a good choice.

I would be careful taking a line-out from a mixer either way. A balanced out is going to put out too hot a level for the consumer-level line inputs on these recorders.
I am ok with just the 32-bit float format, but have you noticed high noise floor on the F3 that @amirm measured with the F6?

With the PCM-M10 I usually record off of the RCA "tape out" output on the mixer. The Zoom F3 manual mentions recording off of a mixer and a line-in setting and with XLR inputs, I am thinking it should handle a balanced out, but it's a good thing to consider.

Use when connecting line level equipment. The input level will be reduced 20 dB compared to when “Mic” or “Mic (+48V)” is selected.

It also says peak input is +24 dBu which seems high enough for the application.

djole02

Hello everyone!

Just to let you know that Zoom has released a new 32-bit float interface yesterday, currently for preorder. It's the Zoom UAC-232. From their website it states "High-quality mic preamps, same as the Zoom F6". I just hope that the performance is better then what was show here in the OP. This device will have 32bit float data streaming over USB, from what I see it was not available on the F6.

For the price of 200$ it is quite appealing to me. We will have to see about THD, Noise and RTL performance to see how it compares with the F6 and other traditional 24-bit audio interfaces.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello everyone!

Just to let you know that Zoom has released a new 32-bit float interface yesterday, currently for preorder. It's the Zoom UAC-232. From their website it states "High-quality mic preamps, same as the Zoom F6". I just hope that the performance is better then what was show here in the OP. This device will have 32bit float data streaming over USB, from what I see it was not available on the F6.

For the price of 200$ it is quite appealing to me. We will have to see about THD, Noise and RTL performance to see how it compares with the F6 and other traditional 24-bit audio interfaces.
Are you going to have it sent to Amir for testing? Maybe to him first and then to you.

djole02

Are you going to have it sent to Amir for testing? Maybe to him first and then to you.
I'm from Europe so shipping and other duties would be too much for me. Let's hope there are others in USA that would be willing to send theirs.

unpluggged

I just hope that the performance is better then what was show here in the OP
From the experience with their older audio interfaces, I would not place high hopes on this one. The UAC-2, for instance, suffered from terrible DC offset at the inputs (they fixed that with a firmware update, but only three years later), very high THD and a 0,5 dB peak at 450 Hz at the outputs. Not to mention very weak headphone out with 33 ohm of output impedance and mediocre preamps for this price range (−125 dB EIN).

It had surprisingly stable drivers, though, with very low USB latency (it's a USB 3.0 SuperSpeed device), optional class-compliant mode, bus power, digitally controlled mic gain and full-metal build (except the knobs).

djole02

From the experience with their older audio interfaces, I would not place high hopes on this one. The UAC-2, for instance, suffered from terrible DC offset at the inputs (they fixed that with a firmware update, but only three years later), very high THD and a 0,5 dB peak at 450 Hz at the outputs. Not to mention very weak headphone out with 33 ohm of output impedance and mediocre preamps for this price range (−125 dB EIN).

It had surprisingly stable drivers, though, with very low USB latency (it's a USB 3.0 SuperSpeed device), optional class-compliant mode, bus power, digitally controlled mic gain and full-metal build (except the knobs).
Let's just hope they have learned from their mistakes with this one. I see the headphone out is rated at 12 ohms.

I was hoping to see USB 3.0 with the class-compliant switch on this interface too but it seems to be USB 2.0.

The idea of parallel sampling with multiple ADCs seems like a very good idea and might possibly become the norm in the future. But from what I see it looks to be a much bigger challenge to get right then expected...

djole02

What do you need USB 3 for? The data isn't going to travel faster :) Do you maybe need more than 30 channels each way? Have a look: https://www.rme-audio.de/rme-usb-technology.html
I am aware that you can have great performance with USB 2.0 and that RME has shown that it is possible. But there are advantages to using USB 3.0 not because of throughput, but primarily because of higher power delivery (for headphones amplifier) and also better signal integrity (with differential signaling among other things). Also, from what I know, there are benefits to not using class-compliant USB mode and drivers.

But this topic is about Zoom F6 audio performance so if you want we can continue this conversation in a different thread.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah, not sure on the low frequency noise! Thanks for measuring this one btw, it was on my shopping list of field recorders and isn’t necessarily as high up any more given the pretty poor performance.

I’m going to look into the Sound Devices MixPre II a bit more.
Bought one for a studio project.. It seems to work for less stringent applications, namely field recording in News Gathering situations. Would like to see more of these reviewed. YouTube influencers rule this space... Not good.
Thanks Amir.

Peace.

jdpurvis

Bought one for a studio project.. It seems to work for less stringent applications, namely field recording in News Gathering situations. Would like to see more of these reviewed. YouTube influencers rule this space... Not good.
Thanks Amir.

Peace.
I just bought one - so far, so good. Current firmware is 1.90 (issued July 2022). IOS control program for IPAD is great! Allows complete, or nearly complete control on a nice big screen!

Top Bottom