• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ZMF Atticus Review (Headphone)

2M2B

Not sure what going on with Full size headphones. It hard to make them be under 1% THD at 100db, Are full of driver resonances that affect the sound, Fail to reach there target without EQ. None of that seems to be a thing with IEM's with THD/Tuning?.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
IEM's have different challenges. Insertion depth, seal, fit can all affect tonal balance in much more profound ways than over-ears/on-ears.
The excursions that have to be made with over- and on-ear drivers are much, much larger than those in IEM's.

2M2B

IEM's have different challenges. Insertion depth, seal, fit can all affect tonal balance in much more profound ways than over-ears/on-ears.
The excursions that have to be made with over- and on-ear drivers are much, much larger than those in IEM's.

Which I wonder why Over ears/On ears don't use two drivers instead. Like 40mm DD for bass and a 20 mm for mids/highs since a majority of the high THD is them being Single driver?.

phoenixsong

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Which I wonder why Over ears/On ears don't use two drivers instead. Like 40mm DD for bass and a 20 mm for mids/highs since a majority of the high THD is them being Single driver?.
Some of them actually do (off my head there is the Meze Empyrean and Razer Tiamat), but complications extend beyond that

solderdude

Grand Contributor

There are some over/on-ears that do use dual drivers and in general this does not make them perform better than single driver drivers.
I measured 2 of these 'dual driver' ones here and here. Also the Nuraphones and Dharma D1000 use 2 drivers but these can't be measured properly.
They are rare though.

Last edited:

2M2B

Some of them actually do (off my head there is the Meze Empyrean and Razer Tiamat), but complications extend beyond that

That Meze looks like a single planar with two diaphragms. Wasn't there a final audio headphone that was 50 mm DD + BA tweeter?.

phoenixsong

Interesting topic though! I was just having fun thinking about a zonal driver design incorporating magnets arranged in a concentric pattern, with each key driver zone having slightly different mechanical/material properties. Not sure if it is at all feasible though :p

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Yeah, the Pandora

pandora.png

:D

Koeitje

Major Contributor
It has been a wild west in headphones until Harman did its research but many companies still ignore that. Also, there is this notion that "beats" made billions with bass so let's boost the bass and we will sell a lot. The faulty review loop that exists in headphones doesn't help drive proper design either.
If you have the chance to measure a Beats headphone you should do it. From what I've heard people say, some of the more recent models aren't that bad.

jae

Major Contributor
It has been a wild west in headphones until Harman did its research but many companies still ignore that. Also, there is this notion that "beats" made billions with bass so let's boost the bass and we will sell a lot. The faulty review loop that exists in headphones doesn't help drive proper design either.

I'm sure that's one of the reasons the Sennheiser 600 series did so well, is that they were sort of close to the theoretical curve without necessarily aiming for it. HD600 was a bit closer albeit bright, while the 650 was darker but still palatable.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
They did. Unfortunately they never followed through with sending me anything. I sent them a reminder a couple of months ago and I think they said they were busy or something. Still, nothing arrived. Shame is that I shut down other members wanting to send me their headphones. :(

Perhaps they saw the way the wind was blowing.

phoenixsong

Perhaps they saw the way the wind was blowing.
Yeah, who knows :p
But it's quite sad- as a manufacturer you'd think they'd at least establish clear communication especially when they were the ones who initiated contact (inferred from the words used; open for correction)

dmac6419

Major Contributor
Beats original advertising was all about : "hear music the way the artist intended it" with many POP artists involved with reference to "Studio". Dre was all out telling the world basically that this signature ressemble how the music was heard by him when in the studio, but he was selling a horrible boomy mess. They got better with time but in the beginning it was all marketing. He didn't told us what they were about.
Beats was all hip hop,rap,and r&b hence beats,all about the bass they never targeted the audiophile.

PeteL

Major Contributor
Beats was all hip hop,rap,and r&b hence beats,all about the bass they never targeted the audiophile.
They targeted the whole planet but the audiophiles, reached way more than the crowd you mention. They took the whole market at the time and people that didn't know better, the regular music lovers, tought they where paying 300$ a set for good sound. Of course they couldn't pull it off with the audiophiles but they didn't need them.

Top Bottom