• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Zip ties on the Chinese Mars rover?

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Saw the news picture of the Zhurong Chinese Mars rover with it's solar panels swung out.

Pretty messy build quality of you ask me, especially with @amirm 's favourite self adhesive zip tie mounts and blue zip ties! ;)

And what's with the joystick with RGBY markings? Who operates that to open and close the panels? Matt Damon (The Martian)!

And when the panels are closed the joystick is hidden. Bad design language there.
rover.png

Zoomed in:
1621467612124.png

As used in the Mars rover!
DSC_1918 (Small).jpeg

Last edited:

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If it gets to Mars, I am sure they are fine inside an amplifier. :)

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Only two things to use when tools aren't available. Zip ties and duct tape.

OP
restorer-john

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
The Chinese landed a rover on mars in first attempt.

Hard to accept I guess.

I reckon its awesome.

But soon enough, there will be people claiming it's all fimed in a studio with red dirt and remote control...

Remember Capricorn One (movie)

Haflermichi

I hope they're UV resistant. Something tells me, um, no.

I used to work in aerospace here in the US and every single outsourced material or component had to come with a C of C (Certificate of Conformance) stating that it met or exceeded mil-spec requirements stated on assembly drawings. That included raw material, zip ties, glues, heat shrink tube, fabric, thread etc. I once rescued a giant roll of heat shrink tube from the trash because it had exceeded the vendor's shelf life statement and could not be used.
Everything had to be "traceable" back to a C of C.
We once even rejected a batch of canvas bags that held gas masks in tanks because the sewing vendor missed the requirement for stiches-per-inch.

dmac6419

Major Contributor
I hope they're UV resistant. Something tells me, um, no.

I used to work in aerospace here in the US and every single outsourced material or component had to come with a C of C (Certificate of Conformance) stating that it met or exceeded mil-spec requirements stated on assembly drawings. That included raw material, zip ties, glues, heat shrink tube, fabric, thread etc. I once rescued a giant roll of heat shrink tube from the trash because it had exceeded the vendor's shelf life statement and could not be used.
Everything had to be "traceable" back to a C of C.
We once even rejected a batch of canvas bags that held gas masks in tanks because the sewing vendor missed the requirement for stiches-per-inch.
Sounds like govment waste.

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom