• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ZeroSurge 2R15W Surge Protector Review

Rate this surge protector:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 49 37.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 33 25.2%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 20 15.3%

• Total voters
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Maybe. But I hate these "tests" that basically bash a product for something it does not claim, all the while not testing product for what it does claim. Basically, 40% have given this a rating of poor because that's that way the product was tested and the review written.
Well, I also "hate" it when people don't do just a bit of homework before complaining. From company website which has a clear section for hifi: https://zerosurge.com/audio-visual-home-theater/

1674596417649.png

Lots and lots of audiophiles buy these products to improve the sound of their system. Here is the first hit in my search:

Notice how he clearly says that he has no need for its surge protection features.

Companies in this space routinely push this line of thinking to get sales. It would be silly from business point of view to not do that.

Kaameelis

Just AP. The amplifier test of course included the amp. :)
Then it is not normal working situation. If there is load what cause for example 10 A current, then also filtration curve will be different and probably some filtration can be measured.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Then it is not normal working situation. If there is load what cause for example 10 A current, then also filtration curve will be different and probably some filtration can be measured.
Who can define the impedance of a "normal working condition?" The load can be any and all things. Using this identical setup, I have measured filtering in other devices.

But sure, it could have load dependent filter response. The key is that the performance of the amplifier under test did not change.

Jbrunwa

I'm not an EE. While this seems to be oriented towards commercial applications, it does have some home diagrams, and looks like a pretty good overview of surge protection applications, standards and testing:

"As recommended by IEEE (Emerald Book 2005), SPDs should be coordinated in a staged or cascaded approach. The starting point is at the service entrance. (Service entrance protection is also required by NFPA 780.) The first surge diversion occurs at the service entrance, then any residual voltage can be dealt with by a second SPD at the power panel of the computer room, or other critical load (see Figure 15). This two-stage approach will reduce 20,000 V induced lightning surges well under 330 V peak as recommended by IEEE and CBEMA."

This is the approach that I am taking, putting a whole home suppressor at the service panel, and using second surge protector for my expensive electronics.

EDIT: Here is an online database of at least a subset of surge protector devices https://iq.ul.com/spd/

Last edited:

Kaameelis

Who can define the impedance of a "normal working condition?" The load can be any and all things. Using this identical setup, I have measured filtering in other devices.

But sure, it could have load dependent filter response. The key is that the performance of the amplifier under test did not change.
I am also not fan of power filters an not believe they give any benefit but measurements without load left open way to argue that measurement was not made in correct conditions.

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm not an EE. ...

I am, but it doesn't mean anything. We're a specialized bunch, so I couldn't design a power filtering device to save my life... :-D I have always been extremely skeptical of "filtering enhancements" since I'd expect a power supply in a good product to do a very clean conversion from AC to the required DC internals (be it 3, 5, 9, 12 or whatever typical voltages). Especially with Class D, "filtering" doesn't seem to make any sense.

That said, I use this little Furman power strip which claims (in italic, my comments in regular font):

• SMP provides the highest level of protection available
We'd hope so, after many years it does seem to be doing its job. Nothing connected to it has ever gone bad - but negative proof is tricky. Just because I've never had a car accident doesn't mean those don't exist.
  • LiFT significantly reduces AC line noise
Yeah, I don't know about that. Never have heard a difference.
  • E.V.S. protects equipment from dangerous overvoltage conditions
So we have SMP *and* EVS. Double the protection! :-D
  • Zero ground contamination circuitry assures the delivery of pure AC power thus protecting critical audio/video components
And.. *double* the purity of the AC... :-D
  • Cable satellite and Telco connectors deliver advanced protection to connected equipment
This is a neat feature, since I do connect the broadband cable connection to it. Supposedly this is the bit that can sacrifice itself for protection, but hasn't happened. In any case, this device is less than $200 so still big savings compared to several components being fried. The API PowerWdge I mentioned earlier was over $600 with only 2+2 plugs (2 AMP ones, and 2 with 3 flip switch settings that were never explained clearly).
  • Sturdy Aluminium chassis
That indeed is true. It's nice to look at compared to other power strips, and build is excellent. :)

I should note that the user manual is not exactly very specific when telling you which plug is best for which component. Is the TV just as "digital" as a Roku box or DAC? :-D

Last edited:

DonR

Major Contributor
I am also not fan of power filters an not believe they give any benefit but measurements without load left open way to argue that measurement was not made in correct conditions.
Is there a "normal operating load" specified? I would expect a transient surge suppressor to be a voltage device and not a current device. As long as the inductors' cores are not driven into saturation, there should be no change in filter characteristics.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Expensive, I'm sure that there are less costly ways to get adequate surge protection. I just use power strips that have surge protection built into them, they're like only £15 or something!
Did you read the second and 3rd sentences in this paragraph as to why not to use "cheap" surge protectors?
(Many a house has gone down in flames, taking the persons equipment [and sometimes family]) with it):
Traditional surge protectors rely on components that are in parallel with the line and sacrifice themselves (yep, the surge didn't get your equipment) should a sufficiently powerful surge arrives. Some can fail this way with (what kind of results?): catastrophic results (think smoke and fire). [that got your equipment and home instead of the surge] They are (what?): cheap and have the advantage of having no impact (if well designed) on power delivery of the unit.
And you have no recourse, as the surge protector DID protect your equipment from the surge (but it sacrificed itself and set your place on fire). Somehow that does not seem to me to be a financially or family safety sound solution. To each their own, however. By the way, I use a UPS (actually several, every room in my house has one) with built in parallel surge protection.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Did you read the second and 3rd sentences in this paragraph as to why not to use "cheap" surge protectors?
(Many a house has gone down in flames, taking the persons equipment [and sometimes family]) with it):
Traditional surge protectors rely on components that are in parallel with the line and sacrifice themselves (yep, the surge didn't get your equipment) should a sufficiently powerful surge arrives. Some can fail this way with (what kind of results?): catastrophic results (think smoke and fire). [that got your equipment and home instead of the surge] They are (what?): cheap and have the advantage of having no impact (if well designed) on power delivery of the unit.
And you have no recourse, as the surge protector DID protect your equipment from the surge (but it sacrificed itself and set your place on fire). Somehow that does not seem to me to be a financially or family safety sound solution. To each their own, however. By the way, I use a UPS (actually several, every room in my house has one) with built in parallel surge protection.
Hmm, I doubt they pose a serious risk otherwise they wouldn't be able to be sold. I think that's over-egged. I think it's a bit absurd to intimate that they are dangerous, no way they could be sold in developed countries of the EU & USA if they were inherently dangerous whilst carrying out their bought primary task of protecting gear from surges caused by lightning strikes, etc.

Last edited:

3125b

Major Contributor
What a coincidence, at work we just had a workshop about surge protection from Phoenix Contact (you might be more familiar with Dehn, they have similar products).

Parallel types are reuseable as well, type 1 spark gap arrestors (is that the correct term?) have a useful life of several thousand cycles and even type 2 MOV devices will work several to dozens of times (if used in conjunction with type 1 since every device is specified to discharge a certain amount of energy). All of these modern surge protectors have indicators, just check periodically if they are still operational.

dtaylo1066

Addicted to Fun and Learning
A non ee question: What are the odds of a power surge harming one's audio equipment if the equipment has fuses? Other than a lightening strike, for which my house is grounded, how would such a surge occur?

Lambda

Major Contributor
Their "filtering" does sound like a peak clipper.
I think their Dynamic Filtering is in reality nothing of the kind. It's a simple peak clipper.
The Dynamic part is that the the Peak limit is dynamically Adjusted to about 2V over the average peak.

I assume a big capacitor gets charged to around Peak mains voltage. Every Surge peak gets partially dumped in this capacitor over big low impedance diodes with around 2V
forward voltage.
The Capacitor get preumebly discharged over a 170V Zener and a resistor

Don't know how thy do the initial charge an inrush current limiting. maybe it has a relay or a NTC/PTC?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
A non ee question: What are the odds of a power surge harming one's audio equipment if the equipment has fuses? Other than a lightening strike, for which my house is grounded, how would such a surge occur?
Fuse won't protect it directly. We had an incredible lightning surge when we lived in Florida and it completely destroyed my Carver stereo receiver. Sent it to the company and they repaired it together with a bag of parts they had to replace. There was a ton in there!

That said, a lot of gear has internal surge protection and filtering as they don't want to respond to warranty repairs either. The cost is very little. And is usually needed to pass regulatory emissions test. See this teardown of Crown amp: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/crown-xls1002-amplifier-teardown.16277/

index.php

See the bits on the right. A lot more than any power strip surge protector has!

dorakeg

Hi

I am at ease, thanks to ASR that these things do not improve the sound but their claim to fame is the "Surge Protector" part. This is a different area. We need to define a "surge", once it is defined then we will know how well the "Surge Protector" ..protects or not.
Most electronics equipment have some "surge protection", built-in. Electrical "Surges" vary in voltage, intensity, duration , even waveform. The amount of "Surge Protection" would need to be defined in the context of what can "ride" on an AC and, how well the Device Under Test , the DUT, protects said equipment. To make matter a more complex, electrical "surge" can be internal, coming from inside the house or external .. coming from the outside. Surge don't have to last a long time to destroy an equipment, a millisecond of a 10 KV surge is enough to destroy sensitive electronic components. Surges above 1000 Volts are common ... Thus the many questions: Would this "Surge Protector" protects from a 1 KV "surge" or a 3 KV, or ..X.. KV? W. I already know it will not improve the sound of my $16,000.oo Trinnov ( I don't own one, just dreaming :)) but I won't mind if a $1000.oo device protects my $20K investment? And , seriously , and more importantly HOW, do I protect my AV system?

The problem of electrical surges is real. Surge Protection is a specialized, even arcane area. We would like to understand a bit more about that and devise tests for these. I have no doubts this is a serious undertaking, outside , perhaps of the purview of ASR.. or is it? Mhhhh? :) @amirm . Even some basic test? I know from experience this cannot be easy , many such tests are of the destructive types, IOW, the DUT does not survive some tests...

Peace.

Regarding surge protection, it's actually very well established and there are actually several regulation/standards and documentations. There are also certification bodies to test and certify the surge protection equipment.

https://www.nemasurge.org/regulations-and-standards/

Below is the UL1449 certification.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Local transformer blowing out, car hitting the transformer bank (usually with a very light weight fence around it, and numerous other ways. The 2 I mentioned, I have been on the receiving end of.

Prana Ferox

What box did you see this? The product uses a "series mode filter" vs MOVs to protect against surges. It makes no claim to do otherwise from what I can tell.

Here is their explanation of how their technology suppresses surges

That reads like complete and utter nonsense.

It's tried and true and protects every NFL stadium and major venue in the country.

I haven't worked on a stadium but I would expect any large (or especially tall) facility to be primarily protected by an independent lightning protection network going straight to ground grid, and incoming power isolated with transformers and cascading SPD protection, with the fragile stuff on UPS, with onsite power generators if the grid is a real mess, more similar to:

"As recommended by IEEE (Emerald Book 2005), SPDs should be coordinated in a staged or cascaded approach. The starting point is at the service entrance. (Service entrance protection is also required by NFPA 780.) The first surge diversion occurs at the service entrance, then any residual voltage can be dealt with by a second SPD at the power panel of the computer room, or other critical load (see Figure 15). This two-stage approach will reduce 20,000 V induced lightning surges well under 330 V peak as recommended by IEEE and CBEMA."

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hmm, I doubt they pose a serious risk otherwise they wouldn't be able to be sold. I think that's over-egged. I think it's a bit absurd to intimate that they are dangerous, no way they could be sold in developed countries of the EU & USA if they were inherently dangerous whilst carrying out their bought primary task of protecting gear from surges caused by lightning strikes, etc.
You might want to check with your local fire department on that. My fire fighting friends have had a few things to say about it.

Loron

Forum Donor
I wouldn’t buy these for filtering purposes but for surge protection.

I have to say that I just claimed my insurance company $8k about 6 months ago.
This was my second power surge in a year!

It took down 3 AppleTv, 2 GoldenEar Triton 2 amps, 2 Subwoofers power amps, 1 Denon universal player, one 7 channel power amplifier, 1 Marantz AVR, generator control board, garage door opener, alarm control board and all Ethernet switches in the house.

I now have surge protection in cascade, from 2 whole house at the meter ( it splits in 2 panels) 3 type 1 surge suppressors, 1 in each distribution panels, one last type 1 for the generator switch!
After that I have point of use one for all subwoofers or stand alone electronics that I care for!

I had a APC H15 that seems to have protected some of my equipments or it would have been much worse. Still I will add one more before my APC. I looked at all the models mentioned here.

I don’t think it improves sound quality but I have to say that after I added a small fridge in the home theater I started hearing loud pop in my speakers every time the fridge started or stopped. The APC H15 didn’t change anything. After reading Ethan Winer “kill studio hum and buzz at the source”, I understood most consumer RFI filters sucked! I bought small industrial one and plugged it inside the fridge on the power line and magic! No more noises. So if the SurgeX! ZeroSurge or Brickwall do the same…. Then it will improve sound quality. Lol.

I still have to add two more of these “series mode filter” I am looking at a brand that no one here mentioned: Bantam Technology

These are much cheaper if you stick to a 15A 4 outlets and you can use these to plug an outlets bar in.

I don’t want to go through hell again! I was lucky now I am prepared! Obviously not that my preparation would help with if I get a lightning direct hit but I still sleep better.

It would really be awesome to test these. They publish a lot of data on their website.

don'ttrustauthority

Forum Donor
Uhm....I hope you're trolling.
He is saying that these devices filter SURGES. Good enough? Did Amir measure what happens if you send a surge of power through it? NO. He doesn't have capability.

If you want to say a surge protector isn't a filtering device you can play that semantic game if you like. I assume when they say their products filter they are speaking generally and have products that do filter in the way you expect.

With a sufficient power surge, this filter will protect your equipment and having it work after is an improvement.

There isn't a claim every product improves audio performance in real time in every instance. Clearly, if your gear is good enough and your power is clean enough, you aren't a customer for this product.

Top Bottom