• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ZeroSurge 2R15W Surge Protector Review

Rate this surge protector:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 49 37.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 33 25.2%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 20 15.3%

• Total voters

paulraphael

Surge protection works best at the entrance to the home due to very low impedance of the ground there. This means surges are shunted better than doing the same thing across many feet inside your home. You can get the power company to put one in side the meter. Ours cost about $350. Or you can get an electrician to put one next to your breaker panel. This will naturally cost more.
The industry recommendation seems to be doing both: a class-1 or class-2 protector at the panel, and class-3 protectors at outlets where you have sensitive electronics. There are a couple of reasons for this, but a big one is that the "let-through" voltage of the big whole-house protectors is pretty high. Our Siemens unit lets through over 600v, and that's if it's installed perfectly, with the shortest possible leads. This is the lowest let-through voltage I could find.

The best class-3 outlet protectors have a 330v let-through rating (this is the lowest official rating allowed by the UL standard). Some of them the actual let-through voltage is 240v or maybe lower.

I'm skeptical of ZeroSurge's claims about the superiority of serial filtering. Besides, of course, that their non-sacrificial. I've noticed that all the high-end surge protectors, like our Siemens unit, and the $$$$ ones used to protect data centers, are parallel, using either MOVs or some kind of air-gap technology.

Also: it's pretty easy to install your own class-2 protector at the panel. It might void your bajillion dollar equipment protection warranty, but there's so much fine print on those that I doubt anyone's ever collected a penny.

T0paz

I'm not an expert in the field, but I'd think if you are going to spend this kind of money for surge protection, a whole house solution may be a better investment.

Many whole house surge protectors will pass 650 volts of surge energy at the device and up to 25 volts of additional surge energy per inch of wiring. So 18 inches of wiring to a breaker will cause the Whole House SPD to pass 1100 volts of surge energy into the house.

T0paz

I use this surge suppressor and it is very effective at removing inductive motor noise and inrush current switching noise. I believe it works similar to the Zero surge under test here. Definitely filters transients which on occasion have tripped my amp.
The Amatek/esp XG-PCS-20D is not a Series Mode filter and therefore not the same as ZeroSurge. The XG-PCS-20D uses multistage protection largely based on MOV's and gas discharge tubes.

T0paz

Just an FYI as I haven't read the whole thread. The original owner and patent holder, Rudy, told me back in '96 or so that almost all surge-based disruptions to devices in the home are not protected from whole house surge protection because the majority of damage is caused by other devices in the home. We spoke at great length, and he made his bucks consulting to utility companies. not selling his surge protectors. I own many of their devices and the oldest one is from '97 or so, still kicking. They even asked me to send it in so they could test it after 10 years (all on their dime) -- checked out fine. Give Zero Surge's Donna a call (pretty sure she's been the longest term employee and has pretty good tech chops).
Eaton states that some 20% of surges originate from outside the home and can be caused by downed or damaged utility lines, indirect lightning, utility grid transfers, widespread power outages, while 80% of surges are internal to the home and as a result of motors turning on/off i.e. refrigerators, dryers, garage door openers, HVAC units (fans), shop tools (miter saws, air compressors, etc ... ) You can read the top level article here. For a more in-depth read, check out Eaton's Guide to Surge Suppression. For Type whole house SPD many offer around 650 volts of let-through voltage at the device itself and per Eaton from 15V to 25V of additional surge energy per inch of wiring from the SPD to the breaker. Since its recommended that the wiring have twists, if you assume 25V of additional surge energy for each inch of installation and a typical installation will be 18 inches to 36 inches (or more), then a Whole House SPD will let through 1100 Volts or more of surge energy which is hardly worth skipping Type 3 (point of use) Surge Protection devices in the home.

Surges like to travel in straight line paths and house wiring is anything but a straight line. Often times the surge travels along the branch circuit to another device/appliance that is plugged into a nearby outlet damaging whatever it finds. The damage may not be catastrophic, but it is cumulative. I would say if you have the money install a Whole House SPD as well as Type 3 SPD's throughout the home where they are needed. I prefer Series Mode since I had a two bad experiences with MOV based Type 3 Surge Protection devices.

Donna knows a lot and both she & Jim are easy to talk to or email and have taken the time to answer many questions I had over the years.

T0paz

Bummed. Local power utility doesn't offer the install-at-meter program. Amir is lucky to have it. Checked with Zero Surge and they don't make a whole-house product. Anyone know of a whole-house surge protection device that is not based on MOV? In communicating with Zero Surge they indicated whole-house MOV devices typically have a surge let-through of about 700V-900V. Yikes!
SurgeX makes one that can be installed next to the mains panel and will protect up to 4 branch circuits of 20A each which may not work for you. You can read more about it here. In certain applications, the MOV is not a bad device i.e. when it's sole purpose is to shunt the surge directly to the Earth (or in this case to a breaker in the mains panel which has a neutral that is bonded to a ground rod), but you still have to deal with the possible 1100+ volts of surge energy passed into the house assuming an 18 inch lead installation from the Type 2 SPD to a breaker.

paulraphael

Many whole house surge protectors will pass 650 volts of surge energy at the device and up to 25 volts of additional surge energy per inch of wiring. So 18 inches of wiring to a breaker will cause the Whole House SPD to pass 1100 volts of surge energy into the house.
True in principle, but the surge protector's rating should be based on a realistic length of wire, not zero wire. My Siemens unit is rated at 600v let-through voltage on all three poles, with 12" leads. You only have to think about the voltage going up for length beyond that.

You should still put a good quality (minimum let-through voltage) type-3 surge protector at the outlets where you have expensive electronics. That's the 2-tiered approach the manufacturers recommend. The whole-house unit on its own should be enough to protect your appliances. And it should keep any major surges from blowing your type-3 protectors to bits.

T0paz

True in principle, but the surge protector's rating should be based on a realistic length of wire, not zero wire. My Siemens unit is rated at 600v let-through voltage on all three poles, with 12" leads. You only have to think about the voltage going up for length beyond that.

You should still put a good quality (minimum let-through voltage) type-3 surge protector at the outlets where you have expensive electronics. That's the 2-tiered approach the manufacturers recommend. The whole-house unit on its own should be enough to protect your appliances. And it should keep any major surges from blowing your type-3 protectors to bits.

The manufacture will tell you what the let-through voltage is at the device and the installed lead length will give you an estimate of the actual let-through voltage.

For those who would like more information Whole House SPD's, you can read Eaton’s guide to surge suppression.

On Page 18, Eaton states Approximately 80% of recorded surges are due to internal switching transients caused by turning on/off motors, transformers, photocopiers or other loads. Externally generated surges due to induced lightning, grid switching or from adjacent buildings account for the remaining recorded surges.

So a multi-layer approach is recommended

On Page 21, Eaton discusses lead length. Most people don't consider lead length and many electricians are mainly concerned with how well something is routed i.e. 3 or 4 feet of wiring is not a problem as long as the routing is nice. I think it's great if one can have 12" of lead length but many people have around 18 or more inches and each installation is different. Until someone actually looks (usually means hiring an electrician) they won't know and unless the electrician is knowledgeable and up to date with the national code and the code in their jurisdiction you may not get the desired results.

As for Type 3 Surge protectors if the SPD relies on an MOV it's merely diverting the surge giving it new life and a chance to damage something else. Series Mode slow the surge down and store the energy in capacitors bleeding it onto the Neutral wire 2 volts at a time where it can no longer damage any electronics. Advanced Series Mode or Total Surge Cancellation takes this a step further providing 0 let through voltage.

We placed a Series Mode on our fridge and were fine. Our two neighbors were not but now they have a Series Mode filter on their refrigerators. Much of this depends on what part of the country you live in as well and the quality of the power in your area and the types of loads and wiring you have in your home. We're not known for having thunder showers/storms like parts of Florida have but we get enough lightning shows in a given year.

We also use an outdoor antenna for TV and have an SPD that uses a combination of MOV's and a GDT (Gas Discharge Tube) to it's own Ground Rod (which is also per code connected to the ground rod on the mains panel).

Last edited:
Top Bottom