• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Zero surge and surgeX are overpriced as hell

Jbrunwa

Define close.
An electrical storm that completely charred circuit boards and components in my whole house generator and another appliance. So I’m sticking with the zero surge.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
An electrical storm that completely charred circuit boards and components in my whole house generator and another appliance. So I’m sticking with the zero surge.
I'm just saying the closer the actual event is to your place (if that's a general concern in the first place) that any surge protector may not offer protection to devices plugged in. Close enough and your stuff is just fried if connected. I haven't lived in a particularly high lightning area for a long time and don't worry about it much, but my EE grandfather during lightning storms would simply unplug stuff My electrical service has generally been good without special needs.

Jbrunwa

I'm just saying the closer the actual event is to your place (if that's a general concern in the first place) that any surge protector may not offer protection to devices plugged in. Close enough and your stuff is just fried if connected. I haven't lived in a particularly high lightning area for a long time and don't worry about it much, but my EE grandfather during lightning storms would simply unplug stuff My electrical service has generally been good without special needs.
Fair enough. I do unplug everything when I’ll be away for a while, and that’s the best way to protect equipment if you have advance warning.

While lightning surges are rare (I’ve suffered losses two times in 50 years), we do see a lot of unpredictable power outages not from lightning, but trees in wires, etc, often accompanied with surges when power is restored.

So I justified spending a couple hundred more dollars for Zero Surge in my HT in addition to other home surge protection.

OP
Pancreas

Pancreas

I may buy zero surge 8 which us $325 but id rather have 10 outlets and not a stupid rack

Surgex 10 outlet brick costing $620 is some bullshit

Is literally the same technology with only 2 more outlets

Why Zerosurge don’t make 10 outlets standalone?

Tired of the racks thats all i see on ebay not everyone needs or has the space for a rack

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just bought another 8 outlet ZeroSurge unit for the HT, GREAT company with excellent product and made in the USA.
Don’t like the price… don’t buy it!
Not helpful ...
It has been shown here, countless of times, that price is not an indication of performance..
Nor is country of origin...
What are the performance metrics that make these products "excellent"?

Peace.

Last edited:

melvinjames

Forum Donor
I've used an 8-outlet Brick Wall for the past 18 yrs. or so and it was worth every penny. I think it was $250 at the time but now sells for $300 and change.

OP
Pancreas

Pancreas

I've used an 8-outlet Brick Wall for the past 18 yrs. or so and it was worth every penny. I think it was $250 at the time but now sells for $300 and change.

brickwall is more expensive than zero surge

I wish they sold 10 outlet one like surgex

dorakeg

People tell you buy used models off ebay except they’re all racks and super old models too and they want hundreds

Some dude selling a 10 outlet SurgeX for $450 and is a 2012 model no way

These surge protectors are ridiculously overpriced. SurgeX wants $650 for a stupid 10 outlet protector. Even zero surge is like $300-350 for the 8 outlet models.

If you have to buy used you cant afford it then, it shouldn’t cost this much in the first place.

Theyre taking advantage of yall and your fear of losing your gear yeah maybe it works better than mov but it should NOT cost this much they ripping yall off. Thats why they shit on MoV so much is their business model literally they have videos crapping on MoV yet everyones uses mov with no problems except rare cases

$650 or even $1000 for a glorified surge protector. It seems their prices keep going up and up as well as my google search revealed they used to cost less

As much as Id want a 10 outlet one, im not paying $600 for this shit is absurd

Even the 2 outlet is expensive and defeats the purpose as youll need a power strip with it. The power strip will forever be the weak link that could catch fire one day and is another item occupying space

If you feel it's overpriced, then don't buy it...

Jbrunwa

Not helpful ...
It has been shown here, countless of times, that price is not an indication of performance..
Nor is country of origin...
What are the performance metrics that make these products "excellent"?

Peace.
For performance metrics, here are the specs for the unit I bought.

I sent one to @amirm for testing a while ago but he has had a lot in his queue.

EDIT: Country of manufacture may or may not be indicative of performance, but it does impact cost of labor and resulting price.

Last edited:

stvnharr

I find these Zero Surge units quite interesting, especially after watching the video.
However, I live in Australia. Does anyone know of similar products/companies here.
A simple Google search led me to Thor Technologies.

egellings

Major Contributor
Build your own- save a fortune.
Yep! A couple of MOVs, outlets, a box & a cord are pretty cheap. Also, including a fuse or circuit breaker is a good idea, even if equipment used with the box is individually fused.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yep! A couple of MOVs, outlets, a box & a cord are pretty cheap.
I honestly think Zero Surge used a classic peak clipper: a FW bridge and a big cap. Maybe they stuck a honking Transzorb across the cap.

egellings

Major Contributor
I honestly think Zero Surge used a classic peak clipper: a FW bridge and a big cap. Maybe they stuck a honking Transzorb across the cap.
Possible, that that approach sounds a bit pricey.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom