• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Zero-emission vehicles, their batteries & subsidies/rebates for them.- No politics regarding the subsidies!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
LOL. Irony sense failed for everyone.
Just got it :) tired of the trolling and being a troll. No more rants. Moving on to EVs proper.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It's not about "how fast", its the whole experience of being at the track.
Most forms of racing today are limited by the vehicles ability to retain traction.
From Nascar to NHRA to OpenWheel, their controlling bodies have over and over reduced engine horsepower to make the racing safer.
"The fastest lap in NASCAR history. In 1987 at Talladega Superspeedway, Bill Elliott put himself in the record books with a qualifying speed of 212.809mph."
Just an idea of how limited they are at Talladega. When they first went to those radio transonders for reporting position on the track they wanted to know they'd be accurate at higher speeds. So to add a margin they let one of the teams run a then current Nascar car at Talladega without the restrictor plates on the intake manifold. They ran it to around 230 mph for a dozen or so laps. It would have done at least a few mph more, but the driver decided that was enough. So those restrictor plates are really restricting horsepower.

Bill Elliot's record was the final qualifying there before they introduced restrictor plates to the intakes at Daytona and Talladega. This is because in the race that followed Bobby Allison went airborn at more than 200 mph and nearly went thru the catch fix along the main straightaway. It could have killed hundreds. It was lucky as he hit the only portion of that fence which had recently been strengthened.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Ya think motorsport fans will follow racing series that use quiet battery op toys?
I don't personally think EVs will be good for circuit racing any time soon, The Formula 1 hybrid regulations are more about marketing than performance, though they are super efficient they are heavy, about 300lb heavier and 10lb was equivalent to 10bhp on most circuits with the light cars, I like the sound of the old inefficient NA engines we used myself and in reality the bulk of the pollution at a motor race was caused by the spectators road cars not the competitors.
OTOH EVs are already better for drag racing.

ctrl

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
https://www.wsj.com/articles/a-clim...al-panel-on-climate-change-report-11628546180

"Keep in mind that the IPCC report is a political document. It is intended to scare the public and motivate politicians to reduce CO2 emissions no matter the cost, which by the way the report summary never mentions."

Don't have access to the linked article, but considering only the sentence you quoted and the statement was not backed up with facts (can you post those as well?), you picked a nice example of the real problem in today's world.

The IPCC reports are extremely complex and elaborate summaries of the current state of science evaluated by worldwide committees. For example, the process to produce the latest "State of Climate Science" report 2021, see Climate Change 2021: The Physical Science Basis, began back in 2016 when governments and non-governmental organizations around the world were invited to nominate their representatives to the panels.

1679221764772.png

There are different levels of endorsements in the reports.
1679222117530.png
If you are very skeptical, it is best to read the "Summary for Policymakers". There, every single sentence was discussed and argued about.
These sentences represent the most conservative, cautious assessment of the current scientific findings (till 2021 in our example).

There you will find, for example, the following statement:

1679222253510.png

As just said and to be clear, this is not a populist formulation of "leftist" scientists, but the minimum consensus based on thousands of scientific papers - which quite a few scientists find frustrating, as very recent findings only gradually find their way into the reports.
You will find the details in the corresponding chapters with indication of all sources used.

Unfortunately, there are quite a few people who have never dealt with the IPCC reports in detail, have probably never opened a report in their life and still think they know everything about it.

Besides, there are many studies about the costs of the energy transition and the costs of climate change - just ask your insurance company ;)

Last edited:

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
@ctrl that came from the Wall Street Journal, not some right wing outfit.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
A sadly accurate summary of humans.
They don’t want their prejudices spoiled by fact.
Actually, I read the summary for policy makers. The Wall Street Journal assessment is accurate in my view. I've also read many articles picking apart the latest IPCC report. Anyone who doesn't see the part that politics plays in the UN's actions does not want their prejudices spoiled by fact.

ctrl

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@ctrl that came from the Wall Street Journal, not some right wing outfit.
It is quite simple, show us the facts on which the statement is based, then we can discuss further.
When someone is saying "It is intended to scare the public and motivate politicians to reduce CO2 emissions no matter the cost", simply show the solid evidence the statement is based on.

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It is quite simple, show us the facts on which the statement is based, then we can discuss further.
When someone is saying "It is intended to scare the public and motivate politicians to reduce CO2 emissions no matter the cost", simply show the solid evidence the statement is based on.
920x920.jpg

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Maybe you should read the article. You seem short on facts yourself.

ctrl

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe you should read the article. You seem short on facts yourself.
As I said before, I am not a WSJ subscriber.
You quoted from the article, so it's not hard to cite a few facts from this article that support this statement - as it is usual here in the forum.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
As I said before, I am not a WSJ subscriber.
You quoted from the article, so it's not hard to cite a few facts from this article that support this statement - as it is usual here in the forum.
I'm not a WSJ subscriber either. They might be blocking non US IP's. Besides, If you haven't read the article, don't bother me about it. By the way, Germany is a country which sacrificed it's energy security to switch from coal and nuclear to Russian natural gas and see what a disaster that was. It's stuff like that which convince me decarbonization will not succeed.

Marc v E

Major Contributor
Without going into decarbonisation the cheapest energy source will prevail.

It sounds very sensible to me to rely on a source that has been here billions of years and will remain here billions of years. But others disagree and that's fine with me.

Btw the newest projects at sea have a combination of wind, solar and a battery. The battery consist of a system that makes use of the higher pressure on the seabed, pumping water down in a pressure vessel and releasing the energy when wind and sun is not enough.

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Carbon is often cheap in the usage, but the cleanup's a pain.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm not a WSJ subscriber either. They might be blocking non US IP's. Besides, If you haven't read the article, don't bother me about it. By the way, Germany is a country which sacrificed it's energy security to switch from coal and nuclear to Russian natural gas and see what a disaster that was. It's stuff like that which convince me decarbonization will not succeed.
I think WSJ lets you have a few free articles and then it is a paywall. I cannot access the article either. I'm on a USA IP address. Maybe over a VPN it works.

And yes, Germany made decisions that weren't financially or politically sound based on environmentalist dogma. You can care about the environment and attempt to move to cleaner solutions and help it happen. You cannot just switch based upon wishful thinking or green philosophy unless you value your philosophy more than economic reality. Something similar is behind the various issues in California regarding energy.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think WSJ lets you have a few free articles and then it is a paywall. I cannot access the article either. I'm on a USA IP address. Maybe over a VPN it works.

And yes, Germany made decisions that weren't financially or politically sound based on environmentalist dogma. You can care about the environment and attempt to move to cleaner solutions and help it happen. You cannot just switch based upon wishful thinking or green philosophy unless you value your philosophy more than economic reality. Something similar is behind the various issues in California regarding energy.
Not sure what you are saying, but 24% of electric power generation comes from solar in CA and has been so successful that utility price to producers for their roof top contributions will be dramatically cut starting 4/15/23 to help the pubic utilities profits. So pendulum swings both ways.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OTOH EVs are already better for drag racing.
As if drag-racing was not a 10-second drag to begin with...
Even watching Formula1 has become meh; as the hi-tech that drove it has dried up in the last few years.

I am certain that the 'Level5 racing' between EVs will make even Max Verstappen consider changing professions.:facepalm:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom