• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Zero-emission vehicles, their batteries & subsidies/rebates for them.- No politics regarding the subsidies!

Status
Not open for further replies.

j_j

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
Funny, the waterline at my dock (on an Island off of the South Carolina coast) is the same as it was in 1964 when we built the dock. So the water at my dock is the only place in the world that has not gotten deeper? Or the water rose, the bedrock under the end of my 70 foot dock rose the exact same amount AND the land at the foot of my dock also rose by the exact same amount, right? If that is what's happening, I'll never flood. Cool!

Is it now. You have measurements showing the tidally averaged depth hasn't changed an inch? Note: I am, of course, assuming you have a pier, not a dock. A dock generally is on floats for small craft, and automatically adjusts, so I assume you mean a pier, which is not floating?

Last edited:

captainbeefheart

Apparently you don't understand what can be shown in the lab. Can you refute the reflection and absorption spectra of CO2 and CH4? It comes down to that.

That's not at all what I'm saying.

You guys understand CO2 in a lab, wonderful. But does that equate to you understanding how the entire system functions? Nope.

How do you feel about meridional transport and it's role in the current models and predictions?

j_j

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
That's not at all what I'm saying.

You guys understand CO2 in a lab, wonderful. But does that equate to you understanding how the entire system functions? Nope.

How do you feel about meridional transport and it's role in the current models and predictions?
Sigh.
Unless you've rejected the concept of conservation of energy, you conceded the issue.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
And even after asking nicely to stop the political debate it continues. So without further ado. This thread is done. Happy New Year everyone! ;)

AdamG

Forum Donor
Thread reopened. Warnings and Thread bans will be handed out if members continue with the political agenda/comments. One thread ban already issued. Please guys. Play nicely.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank You. I will behave.

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Right so we have just moved the emissions from a regulated car tailpipe amount to mega sized equipment burning diesel with no emission standards in third world countries. Not to mention the physical damage done from vast mining operations.
Can we stop using the term “third world countries” sounds so uneducated and derogatory as if most other countries in the eastern hemisphere are down trodden cess pits? Please start using continents or countries and their names for designations.

Adaboy4z

This past summer (July)I decided to purchase an E-bike. One of the best decision I ever made. My city is about 260K people. When the weather is nice I ride it instead of the car. It will hit 28mph on throttle only and on a single battery with pedaling (level 2) I can go pretty much where I want and back home with battery to spare.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is it now. You have measurements showing the tidally averaged depth hasn't changed an inch? Note: I am, of course, assuming you have a pier, not a dock. A dock generally is on floats for small craft, and automatically adjusts, so I assume you mean a pier, which is not floating?
Here, if it is attached to your personal property and it does not float, it is called a dock (whether it is on a pond, lake, river or salt water creek). Many of what we call docks have a smaller part (either at the end, like mine or along one side or the other that is called a "floating dock" by us). If it is big enough to have a building on it (such as a restaurant or club) or for something big, like ships, then it is called a pier.
So, using the semantics that are in common use here. My dock, which has a floating dock at the end because there are 4 ft to 7.5 ft normal tides twice a day (the amount depends on the moon, the wind, the rain and some other factors). So, when standing on my floating dock, there is an average water line from silt in the water that can be viewed on the supporting poles. Naturally we clean the supporting poles from time to time. And measurements are taken to see if any poles need to be replaced, if the dock is tilting in some manner or what have you. Over the years those measurements do vary an inch or so up or down from the other years of the high and low watermarks on the poles. But over the years since we built the dock (1964 to now), both the high waterline and the low waterline has stayed in their respective three inch zones.

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Had a Saab modified to burn propane with gasoline as a back up. Refuelling stations were plentiful and easy to find. While burning propane is not as efficient as burning gasoline the harmful emissions were much lower + propane was much cheaper than gasoline. No engine modifications were needed the installation was completed in a day.
My dad worked for the Chicago & Northwestern Railroad from the 1950's to the early 1990s.
At that time every thing the RR had was run on propane from their trucks to the heating/cooling of
passenger trains and powered the refrigerated cars. Because they used such a large volume of
it I'm sure they purchased at a reduced price.
Main point being the governments don't want to discuss any other alternatives besides batteries.
Follow the money and I'm sure we could find out why.
100 years from now folks will laugh at this foolish waste of resources from this mind bending/washing pile of BS we're being fed..

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
And even after asking nicely to stop the political debate it continues. So without further ado. This thread is done. Happy New Year everyone! ;)
How can this possibly be discussed without being political???
It's all totally political if you don't want to follow/agree with certain ideas?

Ken1951

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The political animus on both sides of this, and pretty much every issue, makes any discussion highly problematic. As it almost instantaneously blows up into name calling and figurative bomb throwing. Neither side recognizes any legitimacy of the other. I'm surprised the thread has lasted past, say, 5 minutes/

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Our power company needed to react and catch up after the wildfires in 2020 some of which they caused...
And now the Public Utilities Commission is lowering solar incentives. Because why would we want on-site generation to reduce the amount of electricity that has to be transited through those prone-to-melting high tension lines?!? :rolleyes:
Cars run on gasoline.
Toys run on batteries. :p
But...how about toy cars?!?!? Gasoline?!? Batteries?!? I'm SO confused!!!!

andrewjohn007

Forum Donor
The political animus on both sides of this, and pretty much every issue, makes any discussion highly problematic. As it almost instantaneously blows up into name calling and figurative bomb throwing. Neither side recognizes any legitimacy of the other. I'm surprised the thread has lasted past, say, 5 minutes/
And yet the thread is over a year old.

Anyone catch the JRE clip on cobalt mining?

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
But over the years since we built the dock (1964 to now), both the high waterline and the low waterline has stayed in their respective three inch zones.
That part of South Carolina has higher gravity, pulling the water down more. You can read a more complete explanation in my book How The Illuminati, Pee Wee Herman, and Bozo The Clown Secretly Control The World. Please buy quickly before I am assassinated!

restorer-john

Grand Contributor

andrewjohn007

Forum Donor
That part of South Carolina has higher gravity, pulling the water down more. You can read a more complete explanation in my book How The Illuminati, Pee Wee Herman, and Bozo The Clown Secretly Control The World. Please buy quickly before I am assassinated!
As does Jekyll Island, GA

AdamG

Forum Donor
How can this possibly be discussed without being political???
It's all totally political if you don't want to follow/agree with certain ideas?
You guys are going to drive me to drink! More….:eek:

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The rush to electrify vehicles to meet zero emissions obviously comes with many pitfalls that manufacturers and general public are not cognizant of or are willing to put on a blind fold.
1. Lithium mining is not ecologically sustainable
2. Lack of recycling technology to safely recycle batteries is still lacking and there’s an obvious lack of investment in speeding up that process.
3. Forget the fact that all this electrification still comes at a cost in higher emission due to lack of sustainable electrical sources. (We are still utilizing coal for many parts of USA, nuclear power has it’s own pitfalls)

There’s always the upside to every technological advance, but in the short term there are many downsides which are being glossed over. I personally want zero emissions and better sources of electricity than what we rely on currently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom