• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Zero-emission vehicles, their batteries & subsidies/rebates for them.- No politics regarding the subsidies!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rkbates

Forum Donor
SMR's or small module reactors are coming to Canada. The provinces of Saskatchewan, Ontario, New Brunswick and Alberta have released their strategic plan to expand the nuclear industry through the development of small modular reactors. Each reactor can power about 300,000 homes and will provide the additional electrical power for EV's and population growth.
website-nuclear2.png

CP18556162.jpg

1*C7Wfz69BXUymJW5rCkN5Kw.jpeg

techinnovation_modular_nuclear_tech_single-power-unit_sourice_u-battery.jpeg__1024x1024_q85_subsampling-2.jpg

Figure_4_Illustration_of_a_light_water_small_modular_nuclear_reactor__SMR___20848048201_.618e7efa78b5c.png
So ... about 17x the cost of solar or wind, and no solution for the waste.

OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Where did you get that info from? Canada has major solar and wind projects but they can't supply the power when the wind does not blow and the sun does not shine. Something else is required. :D

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
But you forget that there are no "IFs" about nuclear power availability 24/7.
About 'no solution for the waste' shows the power of the keyboard but sez nothing of the immense power of the brain.
If you dig a little deeper, you will find that some of these technologies (in the horizon but have been in the works for a few decades) are planned so that they can EVEN employ spent fuel rods from older reactors around the world that are being stored "PERMANENTLY" (<< that's a looooong time) in salt-mines, etc.

rkbates

Forum Donor
But you forget that there are no "IFs" about nuclear power availability 24/7.
About 'no solution for the waste' shows the power of the keyboard but sez nothing of the immense power of the brain.
If you dig a little deeper, you will find that some of these technologies (in the horizon but have been in the works for a few decades) are planned so that they can EVEN employ spent fuel rods from older reactors around the world that are being stored "PERMANENTLY" (<< that's a looooong time) in salt-mines, etc.
Happy to be enlightened, but I couldn't find any info on currently used technologies that are using spent rods. Do you have any links you can share? The cost seems to be prohibitive when compared to burying your problems. A technology that's 'in the pipeline' is about the same as a cheque in the mail. I certainly don't think solar are wind are the full answer, but I do think sustainability and life cycle cost need to be the most important criteria.

rkbates

Forum Donor
Where did you get that info from? Canada has major solar and wind projects but they can't supply the power when the wind does not blow and the sun does not shine. Something else is required. :D
Info comes from the original link posted about the reactors plus pricing on current projects I'm working on. Somewhat unfairly I excluded storage price and was quoting capital cost. If you look at storage and levelised cost of energy nuclear is still far more expensive. Batteries have their place, but I think (for Australia at least) pumped storage is becoming very attractive (Snowy 2.0 under construction) and we will see some significant developments in both batteries and pumped storage in the next few years based on applications already submitted.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you have any links you can share?
Start with the link below @Doodski post, who started this topic-within-a-topic.
If you can't find it at world-nuclear.org; then, move onto TerraPower wikipedia page but don't forget to come up for air every so often.;)
There are so many pilot programs that the @Doodski's Canuck one becomes small potatoes!

OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I think (for Australia at least) pumped storage is becoming very attractive (Snowy 2.0 under construction) and we will see some significant developments in both batteries and pumped storage in the next few years based on applications already submitted.
Wow that Snowy 2.0 is a very interesting mega project. That's very exciting stuff. :D I can see many places in Canada where hydro power is the order of the day using this technology.

OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Start with the link below @Doodski post, who started this topic-within-a-topic.
If you can't find it at world-nuclear.org; then, move onto TerraPower wikipedia page but don't forget to come up for air every so often.;)
There are so many pilot programs that the @Doodski's Canuck one becomes small potatoes!
No worries, we are on topic discussing electrical energy generation. :D
Part of the preamble outline of subject matter for this thread is:
  • Where the energy comes from to charge the batteries.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
No worries, we are on topic discussing electrical energy generation.
So, if I broke the news that US Commerce Department has opened an investigation into evasion of the US tariffs on Chinese solar cell exporters by assembling/routing them thru other countries << would that become a political statement or xenophobic?

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
SMR's or small module reactors are coming to Canada. The provinces of Saskatchewan, Ontario, New Brunswick and Alberta have released their strategic plan to expand the nuclear industry through the development of small modular reactors. Each reactor can power about 300,000 homes and will provide the additional electrical power for EV's and population growth.
$5 billion for a small reactor? You can get a fast attack nuclear sub for quite a bit less than that.
ssn-774.png

rkbates

Forum Donor
Wow that Snowy 2.0 is a very interesting mega project. That's very exciting stuff. :D I can see many places in Canada where hydro power is the order of the day using this technology.
Reading between the lines, it looks like the project had been bubbling away for years just waiting for the right political environment to start in earnest.

OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
So, if I broke the news that US Commerce Department has opened an investigation into evasion of the US tariffs on Chinese solar cell exporters by assembling/routing them thru other countries << would that become a political statement or xenophobic?
It seems to me in my opinion to be factual information that can be backed up with reputable references. I don't see it as a issue if it stays within the boundaries of fact versus the BS of fiction. The ASR Staff might think otherwise though. Lets see what the ASR staff thinks about it. I'm as curious about this as you are I think. @AdamG247 do you consider this post # 989 to be outside the boundaries of ASR commentary rules or is it just factual info worthy of discussion?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I've had a neighbor doing this &*%$ for well over a friggin':mad: year!
Some dude with an older RangeRover kept leaking oil, both on the street and in the alley that are only 8 blocks from the Bay.
February 2021, I made him aware that he was leaking oil that ends up in the Bay. He replied (mock-shock) he will get it repaired.
Months passed and his car kept leaking oil and rare rains drained it directly to the Bay.
June 2021, I asked his HOA to do something about it. They pretended they were concerned.
August 2021, I left a phone message to the local City Hall about the continual oil leak. Answering machine musta caught the Covid and died.
September 2021, I contacted the local FD/PD. They were "understanding"!
October 2021, I contacted SurfRiderFoundation. They asked me for a "donation".
November 2021, In a foolish move, I contacted the Coastal Commission. They only deal with spills that are measured in barrels.
December 2021, I got in his face (w/social distancing) about his oil spill. He looked me directly in eye and BS'd me that it was" just a water leak"

What else can someone do?
January 2022, I got my mate to post some photos of dude's RR oil-patches around the neighborhood @NextDoor.com
March 2022, he be not leakin' no moh! Me :)... while I drive around in a 6.0Liter ICE...:eek:
Set fire to the puddle of oil while he is parked there and the fire department will respond. By burning the oil into the air you prevent it polluting the water.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I googled this topic a bit because it is related to EVs in that ICE's leak oil and EVs don't. I have no idea if there is a regulatory body or gov department that would manage such a car leaking oil into the storm drain. Your neighbor obviously could not care less and does not want the expense of repairing his vehicle.

"Used motor oil is the largest single source of oil pollution in our lakes, streams, and rivers. Americans spill 180 million gallons of used oil each year into our waters."
View attachment 196329
Looks like they used a 1969 Camaro in the illustration. Should have included rubber run off when that car burns rubber at every stop sign.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
$5 billion for a small reactor? You can get a fast attack nuclear sub for quite a bit less than that.
View attachment 196393
Latest cost estimates are $5.5 billion.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Set fire to the puddle of oil while he is parked there and the fire department will respond. By burning the oil into the air you prevent it polluting the water.
The thought of some sugar in his gas tank did not cross my mind... I promise...:oops:
...Should have included rubber run off when that car burns rubber at every stop sign.
I got OCD and tried to find out how much 'pollution' the putin-panties-in-a-bunch tiff is causing to the environment.
I did not get far but I certainly got bogged down, w/o an answer.

OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
@AdamG247 apparently that request for your opinion on post #989 is not required as it was a joke of some sort I am advised. No need for admin intervention now. Thankkkk youuu :D

Last edited:

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm currently commissioning an 8 MWhr battery installation and it 'loses' about 1% energy per day when not in use. Do any current EV users notice a similar loss, or is it just something you'd never notice if you use your EV every day?

It depends on what you ask it to do. When I parked my Model Y at the airport recently I lost battery more rapidly than that. However, that’s because it is was working, powering sensors and cameras for Sentry Mode as well as connectivity, etc. In our garage my Y and my wife’s 3 lose about a mile a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom