• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Zero-emission vehicles, their batteries & subsidies/rebates for them.- No politics regarding the subsidies!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not one mention I noticed yet about the dramatically better energy efficiency of EVs over ICE vehicles.
Well...
You may have an engine that is more efficient, you need to consider the full chain, from energy to motion.
And we shouldn't forget in the equation that it means carrying an additional 350kg of batteries.
Overall, that probably won't be much competitive.

Last edited:

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Every inner city road in California will have to be dug up and your already overloaded electrical supply system won’t be able to cope. My niece lives just North of San Francisco and has regular power outs. Your utility systems are already shot not a hope of them coping with any extra demand.
I live south of San Francisco on the rural coast and have those same outages and PG&E has dramatically improved its grid since being sued over the fires they started. With the Tesla PowerWall II whole house battery backup and solar panels I get free power day and night and hear about those outages from my neighbors. Two years and going strong, on track for 6-1/2 year payoff to free energy even with all the fog here. That may change when we get a pure EV, as I said they are short supply.

blueone

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well...
You may have an engine that is more efficient, you need to consider the full chain, from energy to motion.
And we shouldn't forget in the equation that it means carrying an additional 350kg of batteries.
Overall, that probably won't be much competitive.
I am considering the entire chain. Natural gas turbine generators are in the range of 50-60% efficient for electrical generation. Oil refining is the largest industrial energy user in the US, and ICE engines might get to 35% efficiency, but most car & engines are more like 20% efficient. High voltage power lines are about 98% efficient. I know you want it to be about even, but for efficiency ICE vehicles aren't even close. Also, everyone likes to talk about lithium and rare earth mining, but ICE vehicles are no prizes either, using much more iron and aluminum, not to mention a bunch of precious metals in the catalytic converters. The main problems with EVs are that they are in an early phase of their development, and that the infrastructure to support them is sorely lacking.

Edit: this post was a mess, so I fixed it. I should never type a longish post on my phone.

Last edited:

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The main problems with EVs are that they are in an early phase of their development, and that the infrastructure to support them are sorely lacking.
And all this electrical demand will come when everyone can buy one. Ford has orders for two years worth of production of their electric trucks.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
A just-published article in IEEE Spectrum about EVs. Written by three PhDs, including two professors, and IMO is not especially complete or well-researched. It strikes me as highly biased. Leaves out many significant advantages of EVs over ICE vehicles, like everything to do with oil production, refining, and transporting oil and fuel, and side-effect pollution (leaks, cold-starts, old vehicles, etc.). Not one mention I noticed yet about the dramatically better energy efficiency of EVs over ICE vehicles. (Efficiency is important. Not just for any given vehicle, but multiply the difference by, say, 350 million just in the US and the potential savings are very large.) Also leaves out that most power grid upgrade roadblocks in western countries are due to environmentalists and NIMBY voters and their lawsuits. Basically, the authors make the case that EVs are mostly not as environmentally friendly in the real world one would expect, and that what we really need to do is alter our lifestyles dramatically. Uses an example of Singapore for mass-transit. I had to chuckle. Singapore? Really? EVs for a lot of use models have signifiant advantages for the economy and the environment that go beyond whatever happens with global warming.

While I'm mostly putting this article down, I'm posting it because I think this sort of biased pseudo-science is exactly what's wrong with the EV debate today. Given another ten years or so of technology development, I think most ICE cars will look and feel obsolete. Instead, we muddy up the discussion with stuff like this.

You rarely see an article with so much information so scatter brained. Nor one that ends up being a complete nothing burger.

It has some regular mistakes I see in such articles. Suggesting great solutions that work in densely populated places like Singapore, but are totally unfeasible in lower population density areas. Suggesting things like EV bikes which work great in flat cities, and are not workable at all in most places that aren't cites and aren't flat. Sure wherever those work use them.

Finally the big one. Trying to make decisions based upon keeping warming to 1.5 or 2 degrees C. Folks, it is not going to happen. Too late for that. Any attempt to force that result is costly in other ways. I have the opinion it isn't even a desirable result all things considered due to the issues it would cause. Sure work for it and do what can be done, but the idea it is 2 degrees or bust is detrimental. Plus no one has the political will or power worldwide for it to happen. Get real it isn't happening.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
1667342378899.jpeg

blueone

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No one here I've read has said global warming is a hoax. They shouldn't anyway, it's done-deal science. The questions are only what to do about it, and many of us are tired of addressing the "We have to do something!" proposals that cost a lot but don't have a measurable effect on the average global temperature. So why not stow the political comments?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Sri Lanka is a good example of what could happen if you force these changes before it is time. Food shortages, economic collapse and civil unrest. You don't get that nice rosy list of benefits in your cartoon if you force it before the tech is ready and before the industries involved have advanced to the point of taking over prior methods. The world is too far behind the curve to achieve all of that quickly enough to keep it to 2 degrees C. It will get there, it will be later than optimum in some ways, but you create problems acting as if 2.1 degrees is an existential threat.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Its all about combustion and CO2 that's it. No politics here. If you don't see climate change as call to dump fossil fuel and go to renewable energy so be it. Call it politics if you want. It becomes political if anyone wants to create a sense of urgency or sees the benefits on the slide in cartoon? Small steps are steps. Waiting for end all and be all answer is not going to help. It used to be called energy independence back when dealt with OPEC. That wake up call didn't work. Getting people to change or at least think about the amount and what energy they consume and its harm or help is a good first step. I think that momentum is going in the right direction. To me politics is saying we won't buy Chinese goods if they continue to build coal plants and I'm not advocating that.

Sorry if the cartoon was too much for anybody.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Its all about combustion and CO2 that's it. No politics here. If you don't see climate change as call to dump fossil fuel and go to renewable energy so be it. Call it politics if you want. It becomes political if anyone wants to create a sense of urgency or sees the benefits on the slide in cartoon? Small steps are steps. Waiting for end all and be all answer is not going to help. It used to be called energy independence back when dealt with OPEC. That wake up call didn't work. Getting people to change or at least think about the amount and what energy they consume and its harm or help is a good first step. I think that momentum is going in the right direction. To me politics is saying we won't buy Chinese goods if they continue to build coal plants and I'm not advocating that.

Sorry if the cartoon was too much for anybody.
I'm not advocating waiting for the big final solution. That is why the idea to force things is wrong. We don't have a final solution. Economics for the most part will drive the use of other energies. We haven't yet taken enough of those small steps for the result to be ready all things considered. Energy transitions take about two generations.

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Natural gas turbine generators are in the range of 50-60% efficient for electrical generation.
You're sure of that figure ?
Looks more like 40% for the standard ones, for me.

And power lines are not the only loss. You have other cables (like your loading cable, but also your low voltage lines), battery efficiency (which will be lower for a fast charge), motor losses at high speed, and so on.
All in all, I've seen an interesting comparison (in french) which ended up with 23% efficiency for petrol engine vs 27% for Electrical.

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Also, everyone likes to talk about lithium and rare earth mining, but ICE vehicles are no prizes either, using much more iron and aluminum, not to mention a bunch of precious metals in the catalytic converters
Well, that's forgetting the huge existing park for petrol cars.
Most cars can probably still be used for 10-15 years or more.
Replacing them all will, for sure, have a huge environmental impact.

DudleyDuoflush

Forum Donor
There are still a lot of problems to be overcome but, when push comes to shove, I'd much rather live in a city full of electric cars than what we have now. It's something to aim for in the next 30 years.

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There are still a lot of problems to be overcome but, when push comes to shove, I'd much rather live in a city full of electric cars than what we have now. It's something to aim for in the next 30 years.
I have no issue to move cars to electric engine, as long as it's part of a well thought through and matured strategy, starting with the electricity production, distribution, price, and giving time to technology and people to adapt.
As an example, I'm living in a city, with mo garage, and I do long range travel on a very regular base.
That's not going to work any time soon for me.

We bring the cart before the donkey.
For political or economic reason's.

DudleyDuoflush

Forum Donor
I have no issue to move cars to electric engine, as long as it's part of a well thought through and matured strategy, starting with the electricity production, distribution, price, and giving time to technology and people to adapt.
As an example, I'm living in a city, with mo garage, and I do long range travel on a very regular base.
That's not going to work any time soon for me.

We bring the cart before the donkey.
For political or economic reason's.
10 years ago there's no way I thought I'd happily be driving an EV for over 30k miles a year. The more issues we solve and the more incentives that are offered the more people EVs will appeal to. It will take a while but I'm hoping the momentum is now there. Long range EV travel isn't an issue in the UK but charging in cities definitely is.

ctrl

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This recent article is interesting to me because it identifies the long term issue of battery production and availability beyond just short term supply chain issues since the pandemic started. This appears to be a systemic issue beginning with the raw materials.

Research and development in the battery sector is developing rapidly. Predictions are therefore extremely difficult. A good example of this is LFP. Advances in battery pack design "cell-to-pack" have enabled LFP batteries to be used in EC - despite the lower energy density of LFP compared to NMC.
LFP which are cobalt-free, together with NMC(811) batteries which contain only 9% cobalt minimize the "cobalt problem".

Next year, the first EC with sodium-ion batteries may be produced. Sodium-ion batteries will completely replace lithium-based batteries for home energy storage and will also account for a significant share in EC. In the longer term, this should provide some relief in the lithium commodity market.

This still leaves the "nickel problem". In general, intensive research is being carried out to replace rare or difficult-to-extract elements with other elements.
Diversification in battery technology should also ease the situation somewhat with regard to nickel.

But without a transition to a circular economy, innovation and technology will not save us.

Sri Lanka is a good example of what could happen if you force these changes before it is time. Food shortages, economic collapse and civil unrest. You don't get that nice rosy list of benefits in your cartoon if you force it before the tech is ready and before the industries involved have advanced to the point of taking over prior methods.
Lack of foreign currency as a result of the pandemic, collapse of tourism, collapse of remittances of those working abroad, energy production relies on imported heavy oil and coal whose prices have risen sharply, extreme drought leads to production collapse of hydroelectric power plants,... So it's a bit more complicated.

The world is too far behind the curve to achieve all of that quickly enough to keep it to 2 degrees C. It will get there, it will be later than optimum in some ways, but you create problems acting as if 2.1 degrees is an existential threat.
It is not out of question that certain tipping points are already triggered at 1.5°C. Therefore, 2°C warming is already a very big risk.

What many do not realize is that at an average 2°C global warming, land masses warm up much more than water masses.
In North America, there will be areas that will warm by 4-4.5°C and a large part of the USA will warm by 2.5-3°C.

At 4°C global warming, a large portion of the earth is likely to become uninhabitable for humans.
1667386454670.png
Source: IPCC - Climate Change 2021

All in all, I've seen an interesting comparison (in french) which ended up with 23% efficiency for petrol engine vs 27% for Electrical.
There are studies that assume that the electricity for EC is generated by, for example, coal and gas-fired power plants (in which case a large part of the energy used is already lost) and then calculate the well-to-wheel efficiency of EC versus ICV.
Then you get a graph like this one:
1667390636297.png
This may still be true for some countries today, but it is about setting the course for the future.

Of course, one has to assume that electricity is generated from 100% renewable sources and use this as a source for EC to calculate the efficiency.
1667389259283.png
Locomotion by ICV is about the most inefficient method, even cars with fuel cells are more efficient.

Suffolkhifinut

Major Contributor
Research and development in the battery sector is developing rapidly. Predictions are therefore extremely difficult. A good example of this is LFP. Advances in battery pack design "cell-to-pack" have enabled LFP batteries to be used in EC - despite the lower energy density of LFP compared to NMC.
LFP which are cobalt-free, together with NMC(811) batteries which contain only 9% cobalt minimize the "cobalt problem".

Next year, the first EC with sodium-ion batteries may be produced. Sodium-ion batteries will completely replace lithium-based batteries for home energy storage and will also account for a significant share in EC. In the longer term, this should provide some relief in the lithium commodity market.

This still leaves the "nickel problem". In general, intensive research is being carried out to replace rare or difficult-to-extract elements with other elements.
Diversification in battery technology should also ease the situation somewhat with regard to nickel.

But without a transition to a circular economy, innovation and technology will not save us.

Lack of foreign currency as a result of the pandemic, collapse of tourism, collapse of remittances of those working abroad, energy production relies on imported heavy oil and coal whose prices have risen sharply, extreme drought leads to production collapse of hydroelectric power plants,... So it's a bit more complicated.

It is not out of question that certain tipping points are already triggered at 1.5°C. Therefore, 2°C warming is already a very big risk.

What many do not realize is that at an average 2°C global warming, land masses warm up much more than water masses.
In North America, there will be areas that will warm by 4-4.5°C and a large part of the USA will warm by 2.5-3°C.

At 4°C global warming, a large portion of the earth is likely to become uninhabitable for humans.
View attachment 240706
Source: IPCC - Climate Change 2021

There are studies that assume that the electricity for EC is generated by, for example, coal and gas-fired power plants (in which case a large part of the energy used is already lost) and then calculate the well-to-wheel efficiency of EC versus ICV.
Then you get a graph like this one:
View attachment 240714
This may still be true for some countries today, but it is about setting the course for the future.

Of course, one has to assume that electricity is generated from 100% renewable sources and use this as a source for EC to calculate the efficiency.
View attachment 240711
Locomotion by ICV is about the most inefficient method, even cars with fuel cells are more efficient.
Regarding Sri Lanka you missed out the most important factor leading to famine it was when the government banned the importation of fertilisers. Then there is the enormous debt owing to the Chinese Government. To many countries such as Sri Lanka the western debate over EVs and climate change isn’t for them.

blueone

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You're sure of that figure ?
Looks more like 40% for the standard ones, for me.
I like GE's data better than anything else I saw online.
And power lines are not the only loss. You have other cables (like your loading cable, but also your low voltage lines), battery efficiency (which will be lower for a fast charge), motor losses at high speed, and so on.
I'm not buying the French data. Not even close. 27% for EVs? Ridiculous. Electric motors are typically about 85% efficient; Tesla claims well over 90%. EV batteries do have charging losses measured at 12-15%. (It takes 100KWH to get a 85KWH or so effective charge.) AC-DC conversion losses are in the claimed range of 1-10%; Tesla claims 1%. For home chargers, the Level 2 (240v) chargers I've surveyed are at about 90% in an IEEE article I was just reading, and the article is from 2014, which means the chargers have probably improved. So, 85% - 15% - 10%, taking the lower end of every range, and you're looking at 60% energy efficiency for operation compared to (being generous) 30% for gasoline engines, and comparing electrical generation and transmission to oil refineries, pipelines, storage tank pumping, and trucking for the last several miles, can't be close.

Can you show us the French math?

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I like GE's data better than anything else I saw online.

I'm not buying the French data. Not even close. 27% for EVs? Ridiculous. Electric motors are typically about 85% efficient; Tesla claims well over 90%. EV batteries do have charging losses measured at 12-15%. (It takes 100KWH to get a 85KWH or so effective charge.) AC-DC conversion losses are in the claimed range of 1-10%; Tesla claims 1%. For home chargers, the Level 2 (240v) chargers I've surveyed are at about 90% in an IEEE article I was just reading, and the article is from 2014, which means the chargers have probably improved. So, 85% - 15% - 10%, taking the lower end of every range, and you're looking at 60% energy efficiency for operation compared to (being generous) 30% for gasoline engines, and comparing electrical generation and transmission to oil refineries, pipelines, storage tank pumping, and trucking for the last several miles, can't be close.

Can you show us the French math?
Well, you pretty much did the math yourself.
Add an average efficiency of 40% for gaz turbine power plant, and you have the total petrol-to-wheel-efficiency to compare with petrol cars:
40%*90%*85%*90%=28%

blueone

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, you pretty much did the math yourself.
Add an average efficiency of 40% for gaz turbine power plant, and you have the total petrol-to-wheel-efficiency to compare with petrol cars:
40%*90%*85%*90%=28%
Interesting. Assuming gasoline refinery efficiency of about 87%, and I'm not sure how to estimate the energy efficiency of storage, pipelines, and trucking distribution (but let's assume 90% just to throw a number out there, because the volumes of gasoline are so high), then 30% (ICE motor efficiency) - 13% (refinery losses) - 10% (distribution loss estimate), just to make the calculation similar for ICE vehicles, and you're at 7% energy efficiency for combustion engines. Which means that by this kind of shamefully sketchy math, EV are four times more energy efficient than ICE vehicles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom