• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Zeps Song Remains the Same at proper speed

Fregly

The tape was manipulated and sped up after the regular performance which is why Plant sounds like a munchkin from munchkin land. Has anyone come across the regular speed pitch performance? I'll wager it is superior all round. Must be at least a full step down. If I remember the first chord is D major, so were they tuned down to C for that first position chord? The recording sounds a little frantic after listening again after ages.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Has anyone come across the regular speed pitch performance?

My CD player has a speed knob... Tascam CD200

1680135832701.png

Last edited:

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Audacity has a Change Speed Effect so you can make your own "remastered" copy. It's "similar" to changing the speed of an analog tape... It changes speed & pitch together with no other artifacts.

P.S.
Audacity also has a Change Pitch Effect that can change pitch without changing speed/tempo. You don't want to use that but it has an option of entering the from/to keys so you can enter "D" and "C" and then it will calculate the percentage change for you and you can plug that into the Change Speed Effect... Just in case you want an easy way to make the calculation.

Last edited:
OP
F

Fregly

Anyone know what the original pitch and tempo was? I am as much interested in the different feel of a slower tempo. Should make it quite a bit heavier and Bonham swampy.

Last edited:

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Anyone know what the original pitch and tempo was? I am as much interested in the different feel of a slower tempo.
I don't know but in the analog days there was no way to change the pitch and tempo independently so it would have been done by varying the tape speed.

...Well, the musicians could do it but the engineer couldn't. ;)

The Beatles (their engineer) did that on a few recordings (to change the "feel" or the "tonality") and I don't think there was any attempt to shift by whole semitones and the final production(s) may not be at any standard pitch.

P.S
It could be argued that it WAS issued at the "proper speed" and sounds as the producer intended... Unless the band or Robert Plant didn't agree with the decision.

Last edited:

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
P.S
It could be argued that it WAS issued at the "proper speed" and sounds as the producer intended... Unless the band or Robert Plant didn't agree with the decision.

This.

On a related note, the companion/bonus disc of the 2014 Led Zeppelin III reissue contains a beautiful version of That's the Way with dulcimer, and it's at the original speed, unlike the album version which is slowed down. It's an interesting listen and interesting to compare.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
OP
F

Fregly

P.S
Plant did have some reservations about it. In No Quarter his voice is lowered and the effect works well there.

oceansize

Forum Donor
The tape was manipulated and sped up after the regular performance which is why Plant sounds like a munchkin from munchkin land. Has anyone come across the regular speed pitch performance? I'll wager it is superior all round. Must be at least a full step down. If I remember the first chord is D major, so were they tuned down to C for that first position chord? The recording sounds a little frantic after listening again after ages.
The Garden Tapes may be of interest to you.

Introduction​

"I love the live version of No Quarter, it blows the studio version away," a friend of mine said to me once, some time ago.

"Which live version are you talking about?" I enquired.

"The one from The Song Remains The Same, of course," said my friend, slightly bemused by this question. He's never been the type to go in for collecting bootleg recordings.

"Oh, right," I said. "But which version, the film or the album?" At this point my friend began to regret the foolishness of starting a conversation like this with me and decided to go away and find somebody normal to talk to.

If you think you would have had a similar reaction to that of my friend, then it might be a good idea for you to stop reading now. If, on the other hand, you're no more normal than I am, then welcome to the complete guide to the construction of Led Zeppelin's film and album The Song Remains The Same from the three concerts at Madison Square Garden, New York on the 27th, 28th and 29th of July 1973.

OP
F

Fregly

I wish Rick Beato would interview Page. Like for hrs and hrs over days, something really comprehensive. Rick would make it interesting for Jimmy.....not the same old same old for him.

oceansize

Forum Donor
I wish he'd finally get round to releasing the new stuff he's been promising for years and not keep remastering and re-releasing Zep stuff.

Top Bottom