• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Zaph Audio ZA5.2 DIY Kit Speaker Review

ta240

Major Contributor
  1. Differences in the amount of damping or type of damping material used or how it is applied
  2. Differences due to other cabinet losses (leaks around joints, screws, drivers)
  3. Differences between types of cabinet materials or other sources of resonance (usually show up as a blip in the impedance curve)
  4. Differences due to crossover component tolerances/defect........

The added fun with DIY, all the small things that can affect the finished product. Things that, hopefully, the big manufactures have nailed down.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The added fun with DIY, all the small things that can affect the finished product. Things that, hopefully, the big manufactures have nailed down.

You can hope and some times DIY just means you know about the problem a bit more...

Amir’s tests have shown plenty of unaddressed resonances in manufactured speakers like driver resonances, cabinet resonances and port resonances.:eek: Even the most highly regarded brands (Revel, Genelec) on the forum have had one or more of these.

I have built more than a fair share of boxes that resonate too. These resonances can be difficult to eliminate. Even a great speaker is often a choice between prioritizing the more important qualities and suppressing the less desirable ones.;)

ta240

Major Contributor
good information, thanks. If I wasn't running out of room for speakers I'd have to look into measuring impedance on future builds.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
good information, thanks. If I wasn't running out of room for speakers I'd have to look into measuring impedance on future builds.

Impedance is usually my first measurement. Less setup than measuring frequency response and more revealing as I posted earlier.

If a kit speaker does not match its impedance and phase well, no need to get out the FR measurement rig. :cool:

ta240

Major Contributor
Impedance is usually my first measurement. Less setup than measuring frequency response and more revealing as I posted earlier.

If a kit speaker does not match its impedance and phase well, no need to get out the FR measurement rig. :cool:

Is there a simple(ish) way to measure impedance without something like the Dayton Dats V3?

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is there a simple(ish) way to measure impedance without something like the Dayton Dats V3?

I use REW. Beyond a precision sense resistor, just need a bit of wiring...

1620327513901.jpeg

crappypanther

So perfect measured speaker, with very low distortion and good looking waterfall… and for low price! And not recommended?? I am shocked

mtmpenn

Forum Donor
Anybody in the greater Philadelphia/south Jersey area have an interest in this speaker?

I have a pair that I no longer use. They have been sitting in a box for over a year and so it’s time to give them away (free, you just need to pick them up and promise to listen to them… I recommend a sub for max enjoyment)

Message me if interested!

(Below is what they looked like new. They are still in excellent shape. The walnut is a little lighter with age).

Attachments

• BE5C04EA-B3AC-4D24-80C8-76EEB6D23539.jpeg
    BE5C04EA-B3AC-4D24-80C8-76EEB6D23539.jpeg
    197.8 KB · Views: 94
  • 31A710C7-1D19-4097-B67F-0E4DB1D2E1B3.jpeg
    31A710C7-1D19-4097-B67F-0E4DB1D2E1B3.jpeg
    228.2 KB · Views: 76

Colonel7

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Anybody in the greater Philadelphia/south Jersey area have an interest in this speaker?

I have a pair that I no longer use. They have been sitting in a box for over a year and so it’s time to give them away (free, you just need to pick them up and promise to listen to them… I recommend a sub for max enjoyment)

Message me if interested!

(Below is what they looked like new. They are still in excellent shape. The walnut is a little lighter with age).
Dang, I was just thinking about these for near field desk monitors. You’re just a little far away. I know preference score isn’t everything but 5.7 puts it in the solid performer category. Someone will be lucky!

Top Bottom