• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Z Reviews meets PS Audio!

splattened

Forum Donor
Suddenly I'm in the YouTube comment section. Aren't there enough places on the web for tropey, low-effort political and social commentary? If Greta is "ruining" your day or something equally trivial, maybe just take a deep breath or open Twitter instead? :rolleyes:

GrimSurfer

Major Contributor
I am a tree hugger and advocate reducing GHG emissions but I do consider that there is something profoundly hypocritical or dishonest about someone preserving their "integrity" by avoiding making a return flight at the expense of multiple flights for a boat crew plus the logistic support emissions. Take the flight and save emissions, but that would mean making a mature choice.

Or do it by video call.

GrimSurfer

Major Contributor
Suddenly I'm in the YouTube comment section. Aren't there enough places on the web for tropey, low-effort political and social commentary? If Greta is "ruining" your day or something equally trivial, maybe just take a deep breath or open Twitter instead? :rolleyes:

The thread is about a popular web reviewer whose style appears to have eclipsed his substance. To understand how the popularity of this sort of thing has displaced critical thought, I raised an example outside the field of audio.

The common elements are a lack of substance and pandering to popular thought, presented with enough quirkiness to make it enjoyable but not compellingly believable. Banal, in other words.

The popularity of banality isn't a trivial issue. It is responsible for the very things that concern us here (low performance audio) and elsewhere (environmental irresponsibility).

Last edited:

kevinh

Climate scientists disagree with you. But IMO a good rule of thumb is to ignore anyone who uses the meaningless term "virtue signaling" in place of an actual argument. I'll follow that rule of thumb with you now.

Good question. Why don't you research what changes were made to address those?

You should try to understand the difference between Computer based Climate MODELS as opposed to actually you know Science.
Video games are models that allow the players to cast magic spells and allow players to fly. Doesn't mean they reflect the laws of Physics.

https://quadrant.org.au/opinion/doomed-planet/2019/09/a-climate-modeller-spills-the-beans/

GrimSurfer

Major Contributor
You should try to understand the difference between Computer based Climate MODELS as opposed to actually you know Science.
Video games are models that allow the players to cast magic spells and allow players to fly. Doesn't mean they reflect the laws of Physics.

https://quadrant.org.au/opinion/doomed-planet/2019/09/a-climate-modeller-spills-the-beans/

Agree. There is certainly good science and bad science. I recall some of the bad stuff on thinning of the ice cap in the arctic. It was based on successive readings across a broad geographic area.

For people who didn't know better, it looked like good science. Once you factor in the mechanics of the arctic gyre, it looked like the ice readings simply followed the same ice pack as it circulated counter-clockwise around the pole.

We sometimes see the same silliness in reporting on ice thickness in the Canadian Article region. Thick ice and, particularly ice jamming (hooray, the ice is returning/getting thicker!), sometimes reflects what happened several months previously beyond the Northern Sea route (ie. early breakup of pack ice, which might be something worrisome)... and nothing more.

This is not to say that all environmental science is bad. Indeed, a great deal of it is good science. The trick is knowing enough to be able to tell the difference.

There is compelling evidence showing that the earth has been warming since the last ice age and that the rate of temperature change has increased since the beginning of the Industrial Age. This does not mean, however, that we all stand up and clap whenever somebody publishes something or whines hysterically about robbing the future of today's youth.

Last edited:

GrimSurfer

Major Contributor
My first time using the ignore feature on this forum and it really is well implemented. Highly recommended.

You keep coming back though.

So clearly it is not fool proof. :D

Last edited:

josiah

I know people are polarized on Zeo here; however, I bought my Sundara based on his review. I feel that review was spot on. *shrug*

I can't trust him for DAC reviews though...

GrimSurfer

Major Contributor
I know people are polarized on Zeo here; however, I bought my Sundara based on his review. I feel that review was spot on. *shrug*

In other words, he can be accurate but not always reliably so. LOL.

This is the problem of subjectivism when it is not mediated by objective measure. Let me explain...

If Zeo always rated speakers highly if they followed the Harman curve, as did you, then you could trust his views and buy a set of speakers without auditioning them. Or alternatively, you could avoid them if you preferred a flat or tilted FR.

But, if Zeo's preferences did not appear to follow any measured indices then you would be wise to audition a set of speakers before following or rejecting his recommendation. In other words, Zeo's recommendation would have no real utility.

If Zeo doesn't follow any particular pattern, you might consider conducting your own meta analysis before purchasing. That meta analysis would likely require you to consult alternate sources of review. So it then becomes an open question of whether Zeo was right or whether his review just happened to coincide with the results of your meta analysis.

This illustrates why subjectivity alone, or unmediated by objectivity, is fraught with problems.

Last edited:

Rusty Shackleford

I don’t take a random article in a minor conservative publication seriously. But suffice it to say I do understand modeling, and I’d note that if we throw out statistical modeling from “science,” then we’re going to be left with very little in modern science.

Rusty Shackleford

The thread is about a popular web reviewer whose style appears to have eclipsed his substance. To understand how the popularity of this sort of thing has displaced critical thought, I raised an example outside the field of audio.

The common elements are a lack of substance and pandering to popular thought, presented with enough quirkiness to make it enjoyable but not compellingly believable. Banal, in other words.

The popularity of banality isn't a trivial issue. It is responsible for the very things that concern us here (low performance audio) and elsewhere (environmental irresponsibility).

I appreciate that your initial post didn’t fully convey your views on the climate topic. But maybe it’s better to leave your personal animosity towards a child activist out of an audio thread. Surely there are other ways to make your point about Z’s reviews.

GrimSurfer

Major Contributor

Drone/doom

About as entertaining as a kidney stone, if you ask me. More like annoying AF.

Same if find HBB unbearable as a reviewer since he lashes out if you disagree. His video on the ER4SR was a joke, So people are morons because they love analytical/flat sound than the bassy IEM's with bad treble/mids?. lol

He said some pretty nasty stuff at Head fi when campfire solaris was getting pretty negative reviews.

gikigill

I'm not sure what you're saying here. I actually agree with climate science.

I just don't like hypocrites, poseurs, and grandstanders.

Bit of a shame when adults have given up and kids have to remind them of whats the right thing to do. I believe that's what upsets a lot of people about Greta as no one wants to be shown up that they are slack/wrong.

I hope you feel the same about the millions of (hypocrite) kids marching over the whole world.

Aussie farmers voted for parties that never believed in climate change, now these so called adults are facing the reality with the worst drought in known history. Pretty sure they wouldnt be chuffed about a 15 year old pointing out whats wrong.

gikigill

Same if find HBB unbearable as a reviewer since he lashes out if you disagree. His video on the ER4SR was a joke, So people are morons because they love analytical/flat sound than the bassy IEM's with bad treble/mids?. lol

He said some pretty nasty stuff at Head fi when campfire solaris was getting pretty negative reviews.

That nasty stuff included death threats over an IEM to those who didnt like it.

I was a subscriber on the Basshead threads on Headfi, unsubbed after 2 weeks. That guy is a prime example of the ugly American stereotype.

GrimSurfer

Major Contributor
Bit of a shame when adults have given up and kids have to remind them of whats the right thing to do. I believe that's what upsets a lot of people about Greta as no one wants to be shown up that they are slack/wrong.

I hope you feel the same about the millions of (hypocrite) kids marching over the whole world.

Aussie farmers voted for parties that never believed in climate change, now these so called adults are facing the reality with the worst drought in known history. Pretty sure they wouldnt be chuffed about a 15 year old pointing out whats wrong.

So mods, does the gag order on OT apply just to me or everyone? Because it would be so easy to demonstrate that this guy doesn't even know what's going on in his own country.....

ernestcarl

Major Contributor

My brother bought some amp based on his review and then tried to offload the device to me for another amp in exchange. I said no. This amp had some optical switching issues! I blame cheap Chinese manufacturing or poor QC in it though.

Top Bottom