• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Z Reviews meets PS Audio!

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
In this interview from 15:30 Paul talks about Z Reviews and DMS paying a visit to PS Audio office with the goal to either hear the difference between USB cables or prove it's all snake oil:

Spoilers:
"They were completely against idea of cables... They showed up unannounced and brought their own USB cable"
"I just let them in the room by themselves and they did everything they could to disprove it"
"But our main system is so revealing, it's so easy to hear"
"They were banging their heads against the wall, but walked away thinking they can't believe it, but it's true (USB cables do make a difference)"

https://soundcloud.com/johnhdarko%2Fexpert-opinion-paul-mcgowan
And from 22:10 there is another story about Mark Waldrep's (Real HD-Audio) visit to PS Audio and listening for differences between standard vs hi-res material:

- Surely, Mark, you heard the difference?
- Absolutely.
- Well, so you're changing your stance?
- Nope

I love the way that many audiophiles fail to see the obvious faulty logic with things such as USB cables.

OK, so for a moment lets accept that USB cables did make a difference in sound quality in their visit to PS Audio. Im assuming this was a set-up of PS Audio products for the demo.

Considering that I have listened to and measured many DACs that show no difference in output both objectively or subjectively with different USB cables, doesnt the question now become;

"What is wrong with your DAC/Source that it is affected by the USB cable?"

Its not a virtue to be so affected.

Last edited:

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That post is from 2005. As far as I know, these days PS Audio does not sell USB cables. The only kind of cables they offer are power cords.

Look closely, the user joined HF in 2005. This is his post. I highly doubt there's I2S cable from 2005 where USB DACs and even HDMI cables were still in infancy

Top Bottom